• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The vast majority of dismissals in some form come from a batsman's mistake.

Its the fundamental difference between batting and bowling. Bowlers can afford mistakes as long as they are capable of that one dangerous delivery, while batsmen have to be painstakingly consistent to succeed.

Its why someone like Phil Hughes or Smith in a logical universe will fail as test batsmen. Too many 'mistakes'.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I have to watch too much more of Cook and Strauss, I'm going to get Burgey to lodge a class action on behalf of cricket lovers claiming damages for cruel and unusual punishment

Seriously, how hard is it to hit a full ball on off stump straight down the ground?

The fact that they try to hit it in an arc between mid-wicket - fine leg and get away with it is a serious indictment on how piss poor the Oz attack has been this year

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If I have to watch too much more of Cook and Strauss, I'm going to get Burgey to lodge a class action on behalf of cricket lovers claiming damages for cruel and unusual punishment

Seriously, how hard is it to hit a full ball on off stump straight down the ground?

The fact that they try to hit it in an arc between mid-wicket - fine leg and get away with it is a serious indictment on how piss poor the Oz attack has been this year
Did that make you feel better, social?

social

Watched the first session. Didn't think England were particularly good really, lots of wasted deliveries with the new ball. Australia just lolbad. Opposite of day one at Adelaide.

How'd the rest of the day go?
I started watching on the ball Clarke was dismissed

The wicket had plenty in it but some of the spells bowled by England's bowlers were quite average and Finn was largely poor. As such, if a batsman applied himself, runs weren't that hard to come by

Unfortunately, "application" is not a word that the majority of Oz batsmen know the meaning of

Redbacks

International Captain
I'd be wary before we start applying the same methods that we had to witness for years when we were taking the mickey. According to every man and his dog our whole line up was just a simple plan away from falling like a deck of cards, yet it just didn't happen.

social

One piece of good news was that Johnson actually looked like a test cricketer today

He played a quality, composed innings and actually swung the ball at half reasonable pace

Anyway, still reckon England will struggle to make 250 IF our guys bowl the right length and we suddenly learn how to catch again

Spark

Global Moderator
Johnson really is the key. I mean depending on how he goes they could be 4/300 or 120 all out. He looks good though. Fast and hostile and probably should already have a wicket.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with the above two posts. Johnson so so important. He really looked good and it's the first time in a long time that he swung the ball away from the left hander

NasserFan207

One piece of good news was that Johnson actually looked like a test cricketer today

He played a quality, composed innings and actually swung the ball at half reasonable pace

Anyway, still reckon England will struggle to make 250 IF our guys bowl the right length and we suddenly learn how to catch again
I'll lay you 3/1 England will pass 350.

social

Johnson, Siddle, Harris and Watto "should" bowl well on this pitch but I'm just not that enthused by Hilf - he simply doesnt employ whatever variation he has regularly enough and looks really predictable

Anyway, I cant believe that they dont know how they should be bowling ("KISS" theory to virtually everyone - top of off stump) but the question is whether they are disciplined/skilled/in form enough to do what is obviously required

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stand by my pre-series comment that overall they're pretty similar but Haddin's a lot better in Australia.

Jarquis

Is debatable but I'd still say Prior is comfortably the better batsman on the whole. Not by a particularly large margin but by enough.

social

Nor in anyone's opinion except bitter aussies.

Don't just come out and say he's boring because he was trying to survive a tricky period FFS.
I cannot, and never have been able to, stand watching him bat and it's not because he's boring (s/r is ok if I'm not mistaken)

It's because he is so limited in his range of shots

Mind you, he's Lara compared to Cook

NasserFan207

What makes you say that the Poms will score < 350.
The opposite, I'm saying they'll score more.

Australia's chance was tonight. They needed to take at least one before the break to boost their confidence.

I don't believe they have the belief or talent to bowl England out cheaply. And nothing suggests England will fold. Its just logic.