• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Against a much, much better team 4 years ago though. What happened in 2006 to England has absolutely no relevance against this Australian team. If the bowlers land 2 balls in the same area (and it's not Warney landing them on Liz Hurley) then they've achieved something.
Aye, I know, but until you've conquered your demons, they remain. A bit like what you and Burge were saying re Anderson prior to the series - his record last time would have been playing on his mind - it won't be anymore, I wouldn't have thought, but you get my point.

Yeah, while some of the ****e bowling so far in this series has been to do with poor strategies (e.g. Siddle always bowling too short, or on the pads), most of it has been to do with bad execution. For some reason our bowlers just can't maintain the right line and length for an entire over. I don't really understand why England can do it, while we can't.
Because we're better at cricket, duh :ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this is the most frustrating part. A decent bowler playing club cricket can generally put 6 around off-stump most of the time. These guys play this game for a living and get well paid...looks like at least 3 hours practice a day should be re-devoted to bowling a line around off-stump and on a good length.
Almost all 1st grade bowlers could bowl a better line, especially in NSW

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aye, I know, but until you've conquered your demons, they remain. A bit like what you and Burge were saying re Anderson prior to the series - his record last time would have been playing on his mind - it won't be anymore, I wouldn't have thought, but you get my point.

Because we're better at cricket, duh :ph34r:
:laugh:

Fair enough. They should be well and truly conquered after this series!

England are certainly much better at bowling decent lines and having simple plans for the batsman. 1000 times better.

I think our plan to try to get Trott to hit it in the air through mid-wicket and the bowler's following up with half-volleys and **** down leg-side is a fine example of Australia trying to get too fancy and failing massively.

Was a poorly thought out plan to begin with in my opinion.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't help that all our batsmen just go fishing outside off stump. While trying to take as much possible away from the English bowlers, we really aided our own downfall tremendously

Ruckus

International Captain
I guess they have confidence from how well their batsmen are doing, confidence in their fielders and also Anderson and Swann are at the top of their games. The others can feed off these two. Our lack of a leader of the bowling attack is hurting big time.
Yeah I think it has to be a confidence thing. You could argue that England just have better bowlers, but even if that's true I don't think it would be by a large margin at all. I mean, the English bowlers don't have outstanding overall records at all - if they were really that much better than the Aus bowlers surely their records would indicate that.

I have to admit though I haven't watched too much of England play against other teams than Australia, are they bowling much better than normal in this series? Or is it that Australia are bowling much worse than normal?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't help that all our batsmen just go fishing outside off stump. While trying to take as much possible away from the English bowlers, we really aided our own downfall tremendously
Yeah, today's batting was terrible from Australia as well. If they'd have played sensibly before lunch it would've been so much easier after for them. Didn't make England bowl overly well for wickets.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I think it has to be a confidence thing. You could argue that England just have better bowlers, but even if that's true I don't think it would be by a large margin at all. I mean, the English bowlers don't have outstanding overall records at all - if they were really that much better than the Aus bowlers surely their records would indicate that.

I have to admit though I haven't watched too much of England play against other teams than Australia, are they bowling much better than normal in this series? Or is it that Australia are bowling much worse than normal?
The only bowler playing in this Test who doesn't have a good record is Anderson (and it's now approaching acceptable). His record over the past 2-3 years is very good.

The other three bowlers all average under 30. Admittedly for two of them that's a small sample size, but if you wish to judge by record, then I don't think anything we've done so far is unexpected.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, today's batting was terrible from Australia as well. If they'd have played sensibly before lunch it would've been so much easier after for them. Didn't make England bowl overly well for wickets.
There's no denying that England put the ball in good areas, but if some of our batsmen decided to put their head down and try to struggle through a tough period instead of trying to hit their way out we'd be in a much better position.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah while good line and length creates pressure, it doesn't directly dismiss batsmen. IMO, almost all of the dismissals today, except Watto and Harris, could have been avoided

Rant0r

International 12th Man
There's no denying that England put the ball in good areas, but if some of our batsmen decided to put their head down and try to struggle through a tough period instead of trying to hit their way out we'd be in a much better position.
That's just crazy talk, you don't get on the highlights reel or a cologne deal by blocking...

pskov

International 12th Man

I think that with the addition of Swann and Anderson maturing into a really top bowler, England have had the best all-round attack in test cricket for the last 12 months or so.

Looking at statsguru, over the last 2 years England have the best bowling average in tests at 32.44. Australia next best at 34.52.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Such a joke Khawaja hasn't been picked yet despite a plethora of batting failures in the last two years.

Ruckus

International Captain
The only bowler playing in this Test who doesn't have a good record is Anderson (and it's now approaching acceptable). His record over the past 2-3 years is very good.

The other three bowlers all average under 30. Admittedly for two of them that's a small sample size, but if you wish to judge by record, then I don't think anything we've done so far is unexpected.
You can't judge Finn, Tremlett by their test records though because of, as you said, the small sample size. The only bowlers from both sides where the test record is a good indication is Johnson and Anderson. Anderson's overall test average is 31.59, whilst Johnson's is 30.10. Anderson has been bowling very well this year, but averaged a mediocre 33.88 last year, where as Johnson has obviously been playing terribly of late. The best judge of all the other bowlers in their FC averages. English FC averages for bowlers are typically better than test averages though, and I think Australian FC averages are pretty consistent with test averages. So given that there is nothing in the records at least which stands out between Finn, Tremlett, Siddle, Hilfenhaus and Harris.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think that with the addition of Swann and Anderson maturing into a really top bowler, England have had the best all-round attack in test cricket for the last 12 months or so.

Looking at statsguru, over the last 2 years England have the best bowling average in tests at 32.44. Australia next best at 34.52.
To be fair, both teams have played Pakistan the most times...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watched the first session. Didn't think England were particularly good really, lots of wasted deliveries with the new ball. Australia just lolbad. Opposite of day one at Adelaide.

How'd the rest of the day go?