• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

TumTum

Banned
I'm not certain that I agree, but what about:

Jaques
Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin

instead?
Well I guess #4 ain't bad, but I still am wondering why you would move him from #3 where he has the best possible chance to perform?

Yeah you might lower the psychological boost for the opposition by getting him early, but I still think getting him out in any part of the order will give the opposition that much satisfaction due to him being A) ATG batsmen B) Captain

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Watson's doing a bit of a Kallis just now, IMHO. Seems to give every impression of not much fancying bowling at all.

Might just be bad body language, but he really trudges back to him mark, is down on pace and the way he went after a few balls in the field conjures up images of an arthritic farmer's wife chasing kids from her orchard.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I guess #4 ain't bad, but I still am wondering why you would move him from #3 where he has the best possible chance to perform?

Yeah you might lower the psychological boost for the opposition by getting him early, but I still think getting him out in any part of the order will give the opposition that much satisfaction due to him being A) ATG batsmen B) Captain
I just feel that Ponting's experience could help settle the middle order. The problem that we have been having over the past two years has been the three-out-all-out syndrome. We would get to like 3/250 and then be all out for 325 on a road. That is just unacceptable really. Hussey's new found form should help, but I feel the Punter a bit lower could really help our middle order.

I also want Watson out of the opener role. I don't want him injured and by moving him down to #3 his body will have more time to relax between innings.

Jaques
Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey

looks so much better than

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North / Khawaja

Given that Khawaja is a top order bat and North is crap.

Pothas

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Bollinger

Am not totally convinced at the idea of them playing Smith but if the wicket suits the pacers then this provides lots of options.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watson's doing a bit of a Kallis just now, IMHO. Seems to give every impression of not much fancying bowling at all.

Might just be bad body language, but he really trudges back to him mark, is down on pace and the way he went after a few balls in the field conjures up images of an arthritic farmer's wife chasing kids from her orchard.
Haven't actually managed to see much of Australia bowling (been mostly on weekends, when I've been playing) but what you describe sounds pretty much how he appeared in India, and also in England when doing well against Pakistan. Looked like a stiff old man, coming in and on occassions he'd barely disturb the speed gun, other times it'd clock through well.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go with.

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Copeland
Dougeh

No spinner or part timer, but IMO Perth is the one place where you pick a spinner only if his performances demands it. No spinner in the country has put his hand up for mine, so I've gone with 4 quicks. I notice not many have gone with Khawaja over Smith, but given that it's Perth and Smiths bowling isn't his strong suit I figured going for the better bat would be the best option. I notice Smith only bowled a handful of overs when NSW played WA in Perth recently. To rely on him as our main spinning option on a ground like Perth with an in form English lineup could do the kid more harm than good, and is unlikley to affect the team positively.

Copeland is chosen to see if he can replicate his ridiculous FC average at test level. Johnson back in the team only if the staff feel he's up to it. Dougeh is chosen assuming that he's fit and that Adelaide was just an abberation. Harsh on Siddle, but he's been pretty poor since his hattrick. Play him if my assumptions about either Dougeh or Mitch are incorrect. Cameron and Hilfeh are next in line.

HeathDavisSpeed

FFS Morgie learn to interpret ":ph34r:" for what it is.
Indeed. I hear Jamie Cox is available. :ph34r: :ph34r:

He's technically (and mentally, it seems - especially if you ask him) so much better suited to opening though, or at least batting in the top order. I wouldn't bat him lower than four.

Do you think that batting him at six is going to make him more likely to convert? It's not like the workload would actually be reduced much - he'd still have to bat virtually every innings.
The workload wouldn't be reduced, but the recovery time between bowling spell to batting would be significantly improved. He seems in really good form, yet getting out when set. This has either got to be some psychological issue (relaxing too much after making a 50?) or he's going out to bat when already jaded. However, I do take the point that he record at opener is significantly better than when he batted lower, and his returns could be considered acceptable.

Ruckus

International Captain
I'd go with.

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Khawaja
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Copeland
Dougeh
That's basically what I'd choose as well. However, the complete lack of any spin options is a bit of a problem without North in the side. Maybe O'Keefe instead of Johnson or Doug would be better (probably the latter if he is unfit). If O'Keefe was in the side the tail would be incredibly strong as well - the only true tail ender would be Copeland at 11 if Doug was out of the picture.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
That's basically what I'd choose as well. However, the complete lack of any spin options is a bit of a problem without North in the side. Maybe O'Keefe instead of Johnson or Doug would be better (probably the latter if he is unfit). If O'Keefe was in the side the tail would be incredibly strong as well - the only true tail ender would be Copeland at 11 if Doug was out of the picture.
I guess what I'm really questioning is if you have to actually have a spinning option if none of the options are good enough. I haven't seen a huge amount of O'Keefe so if his performances demand it over someone like Siddle or Johnson include him by all means. I just don't think the bowling of someone like Smith or Dussey should be taken into account considering they're unlikely to shine on what is traditionally a tough pitch for spinners.

Ruckus

International Captain
I guess what I'm really questioning is if you have to actually have a spinning option if none of the options are good enough. I haven't seen a huge amount of O'Keefe so if his performances demand it over someone like Siddle or Johnson include him by all means. I just don't think the bowling of someone like Smith or Dussey should be taken into account considering they're unlikely to shine on what is traditionally a tough pitch for spinners.
Given none of our spinning options are good (or at least untried in the case of O'Keefe), I agree that it isn't necessary to have a spinner who attempts to act as a strike bowler like Swann. But I still think it is very handy to have some decent spin options just for variation, to chance the pace of the game etc. Without North, the only option would be Clarke which is pretty inadequate. Also with Watson in the team having 4 additional quicks is probably a bit redundant.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Well my sources still say David Hussey is the man for Perth. For some reason Shaun Marsh is right up there too. I asked about White, long shot.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dussey eh? County record coming into play?

Well if he scores a hundred on debut, no one would complain. And it would be all kinds of :cool: to see a 250 run Hussey partnership.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Does anyone know when the side will be announced? Will Hussey and White get a chance to impress in the weekends match?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. I hear Jamie Cox is available. :ph34r: :ph34r:

The workload wouldn't be reduced, but the recovery time between bowling spell to batting would be significantly improved. He seems in really good form, yet getting out when set. This has either got to be some psychological issue (relaxing too much after making a 50?) or he's going out to bat when already jaded. However, I do take the point that he record at opener is significantly better than when he batted lower, and his returns could be considered acceptable.
He'd do a better job in the side than selecting. :ph34r:

pskov

International 12th Man
Darren Pattinson has taken 15 wickets at 20.86 for Victoria this season so far. How long until he requalifies for Australia? :ph34r:

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain

Sure you're not referring to Bollinger?