• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
WA declared 8/242, and Swann took his first wicket late. Pretty poor figures all round though, Broad aside.
I dunno - would say those figures are not terrible - all got a wicket and nobody went around the park.

Beer to get KP IMO.

Woodster

International Captain
The first of what should be many failures for Cook.
Not sure I'm with you on that one. I think he'll have a pretty decent tour, his strengths on the pull and cut and generally off the back foot should see that he's alright, once he gets in tune with the pitches. Backing him to go well this series.

Woodster

International Captain
WA declared 8/242, and Swann took his first wicket late. Pretty poor figures all round though, Broad aside.
Would say they were a pretty solid set of figures, not poor. Everyone was reasonably economical, no-one went round the park, all got a wicket and nearly 20 overs under their belts, seems a good enough workout. Yes Broad looks like he enjoyed the better day.

Jacknife

International Captain
I dunno - would say those figures are not terrible - all got a wicket and nobody went around the park.

Beer to get KP IMO.
No there not bad all round, Anderson went at just over 2 an over, with a wicket,Broad 3 wickets at 2.6.Swanny got a wicket at the end at 3 an over.I hope that Tremlett gets a game next match because I feel he could be a bigger threat than Finn, but we'll see.

Jacknife

International Captain
Not sure I'm with you on that one. I think he'll have a pretty decent tour, his strengths on the pull and cut and generally off the back foot should see that he's alright, once he gets in tune with the pitches. Backing him to go well this series.
Yes, I think if Cook can get a good score in these warm up matches,it will set him up for a good series.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope North gets out early in the next innings as well so he can make his 1 in 5 century during the ashes

tooextracool

International Coach
Swann will do fine, except for the 2 categories of extremes on this forum. No he probaby isn't going to take 40 wickets at 25 and he is probably going to do well if you judge him purely on his influence on the match rather than his statistical summary at the end of the tour. If he takes 20-30 wickets at an average in the low-mid 30s he would in all likelyhood have done a fairly good job given the pitches that we should expect to see in Australia.

vcs

swann will do fine, except for the 2 categories of extremes on this forum. No he probaby isn't going to take 40 wickets at 25 and he is probably going to do well if you judge him purely on his influence on the match rather than his statistical summary at the end of the tour. If he takes 20-30 wickets at an average in the low-mid 30s he would in all likelyhood have done a fairly good job given the pitches that we should expect to see in australia.
awta.

flibbertyjibber

Swann will do fine, except for the 2 categories of extremes on this forum. No he probaby isn't going to take 40 wickets at 25 and he is probably going to do well if you judge him purely on his influence on the match rather than his statistical summary at the end of the tour. If he takes 20-30 wickets at an average in the low-mid 30s he would in all likelyhood have done a fairly good job given the pitches that we should expect to see in Australia.
This.

I am expecting around 20 wickets from him,no more than that.Be nice if he does though,but in those wickets i am also expecting a couple of spells that turn matches/the series in England's favour just as he did in 09 in England.

Having said that Johnson is just as likely to do it for Australia amongst his pies that will also come down at various times during the 5 tests.Just think England will edge it though.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know about that. From everything I've heard his issue is dodgy technique leading to edges and the bounce here should only exacerbate that.

tooextracool

International Coach
I don't know about that. From everything I've heard his issue is dodgy technique leading to edges and the bounce here should only exacerbate that.
and yet his dodgy technique allowed him to score runs against arguably the best pace bowling attack in the world at the moment in SA. I find it amusing that we have a guy here who had a dodgy technique for the best part of 4 years and yet people were backing him and the moment he actually makes changes to improve his technique he gets castigated on this forum for his technique.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some facepalm posts about Swann earlier. He's not just the best spinners in the world, he's one of the best bowlers in the world and while conditions will negate him a bit he's still ****ing class. You can only beat what is infront of you, and Swann royal destroyed them. He was man of the series in SA ffs, which is a place famous for producing bunsens obviously.

Ruckus

International Captain
He's not that good Marcuss. Some days he can serve up some real pies.
Agreed. Its funny how before his SA tour, people thought he was pretty good but nothing that amazing, and then after the SA tour where he followed up by bowling well against Bangladesh and Pakistan (a feat even Hauritz managed) he is suddenly put on a pedestal.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed. Its funny how before his SA tour, people thought he was pretty good but nothing that amazing, and then after the SA tour where he followed up by bowling well against Bangladesh and Pakistan (a feat even Hauritz managed) he is suddenly put on a pedestal.
113 Test wickets at 26 might have something to do with that. Add in his excellent ODI and T20I record.

There's a reason why he's had as much hype as he's had.

Ruckus

International Captain
113 Test wickets at 26 might have something to do with that. Add in his excellent ODI and T20I record.

There's a reason why he's had as much hype as he's had.
Yeh except his average was a much more standard 30.69 before pakistan and bangladesh...whats his FC average? 31.84... not that good.

I already said he is probably the best spinner in the world atm, but he is no way near as good as people make him out to be.

flibbertyjibber

I think the nine 5 wicket and seven 4 wicket innings he has in only 24 tests is a reason for the hype.

Lets face it if Hauritz/A N Other Aussie spinner had as good a record as Swann has going into the series you'd be saying the same about him.

He is no Shane Warne or Murali but he is a bloody good spinner and currently is rightfully ranked as the number 1 in the world,if that isn't something to be happy about and to expect him to carry on as he has been doing over the last year or so then what is?

Ruckus

International Captain
Some facepalm posts about Swann earlier. He's not just the best spinners in the world, he's one of the best bowlers in the world and while conditions will negate him a bit he's still ****ing class. You can only beat what is infront of you, and Swann royal destroyed them. He was man of the series in SA ffs, which is a place famous for producing bunsens obviously.
He averaged 31.38 for that series. Hardly "royally destroying them". Its a good effort, but once again its just another example of him being overhyped.

Ruckus

International Captain
I think the nine 5 wicket and seven 4 wicket innings he has in only 24 tests is a reason for the hype.

Lets face it if Hauritz/A N Other Aussie spinner had as good a record as Swann has going into the series you'd be saying the same about him.

He is no Shane Warne or Murali but he is a bloody good spinner and currently is rightfully ranked as the number 1 in the world,if that isn't something to be happy about and to expect him to carry on as he has been doing over the last year or so then what is?
Once again though, 5 of his 5 wicket hauls have come against Bangladesh and Pak. If Hauritz had a record like Swann, I'd be saying exactly the same thing. I'm sorry but he is not 'bloody good'... that tag would be reserved for Warne and Murali etc. who are in leagues much beyond Swann.

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Deus ex, I think your looking at it a bit too statistically.

People aren't just overhyping Swann because of his average, but due to watching him bowl.

For the first time in ages, he is an attacking fingerspinner who actually seriously rips the ball. Which is very admirable in this day and age. Hence the hype.