• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Shri

Mr. Glass
Lol @ school and ****ing history classes. Would have slept through every history class in my last year of history classes if we didn't have a hot instructor.:p

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice of Gilchrist to call England favourites on radio over here this morning.Wonder if he tells a different story to the Aussie press?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lol @ school and ****ing history classes. Would have slept through every history class in my last year of history classes if we didn't have a hot instructor.:p
Wash your mouth out with soap young man.

Marcuss, are you still at school or at Uni? What history are you studying?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my last year of school, Uni next September/October.

Doing Germany 1900-1945 and Italy 1845-1951 or something like that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Is italy interesting. There's a course at uni that offered that kind of timeline for Italy.

Think I've done enough Chinese history to last me a while

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is italy interesting. There's a course at uni that offered that kind of timeline for Italy.

Think I've done enough Chinese history to last me a while
Should be quite interesting, in that time frame you've got unification, kicking the arse of the Papacy, attempts at imperialism and power politics pre 1914, Mussolini and the polarised situation post WW2.

Too modern for my tastes though. It's quite funny, I picked Strathclyde over Glasgow because the department offers more modern history, and almost without exception my favourite classes have all been 16th and 17th century classes.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Should be quite interesting, in that time frame you've got unification, kicking the arse of the Papacy, attempts at imperialism and power politics pre 1914, Mussolini and the polarised situation post WW2.

Too modern for my tastes though. It's quite funny, I picked Strathclyde over Glasgow because the department offers more modern history, and almost without exception my favourite classes have all been 16th and 17th century classes.
Just had a quick look then. Seems the course is called Violence in Italy. Think I'll pass on it.

Violence is a feature of all human societies in every era. This unit examines the cultural significance of violence in Italy, from the Ancient Roman amphitheatre to the language of twentieth-century Fascist violence and post-war Italy's confrontation with left and right-wing terrorism, the 'years of lead', and Italy's continuing struggle with the Mafia. Themes include violence in Medieval, Renaissance and Early-Modern urban culture, gender and ***uality, crime and punishment in the Enlightenment, and Romantic representations of violence in the nineteenth century.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How clues up on Italy 1918-25 GF?
Not very. I think France and Britain went back on some promise given to Italy to tempt them to switch sides in the Great War with regards to territory (possibly former Austrian territory in the Balkans), which pissed them off, Mussolini comes to power in 1922 and in 1925 they signed the Locarno Pact which set Germany's western borders as set by the Versailles Treaty - couldn't tell you of any of the reasons why Mussolini came to power the way I could reel off reasons for the Nazi rise to power.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's weird. I'm at a uni with a fairly large history faculty, and there's barely any courses around WWII.

Jayzamann

International Regular
My uni is in a perpetual jizzm over the Cold War, nearly every single course covers it or has a reference to it in the title.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Little bit more OT: The Sunday Mail today being its usual parochial and petty self, here are some gems;

"Strauss leads what has been called* the best English side South Africa has ever produced"

"[Kevin Pietersen is] England's most dangerous South African"

"[Jonathan Trott] followed in the family tradition by representing his native South Africa before jumping ship"

*Wikipedia has more stringent article writing standards than this.