• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumble was such a machine for us in the 2003-04 tour. Could have won in Sydney if he had better support.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Kumble was such a machine for us in the 2003-04 tour. Could have won in Sydney if he had better support.
Wouldve won if India didnt bat the first innings into the 3rd day. Studpidity. I couldnt believe he was going for 700. Turned out those couple of hours were exactly what India needed on day 5 to finish us off. Oh well. Maybe he was being kind to Mr Waugh?

vcs

I honestly don't think one or two extra hours on day 5 would have made any difference, India just didn't have enough firepower bar Kumble to bowl out that Aussie lineup twice on that wicket.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I honestly don't think one or two extra hours on day 5 would have made any difference, India just didn't have enough firepower bar Kumble to bowl out that Aussie lineup twice on that wicket.
They didnt help their cause by batting so long though.

vcs

They didnt help their cause by batting so long though.
There was actually a chance of losing on the last day even with the huge cushion of runs they had. India were taking wickets only through scoreboard pressure and Kumble's persistence, there really wasn't much else.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just finalised a bet with a mate. If North plays in the 4th test I have to wear a dress for boxing day. If he doesn't, my mates pay for my drinks for the entire day

Don't let me down here selectors.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pitches produced in 2003/4 were the closest you'll ever see to subcontinental conditions in Oz
Don't know about that. Was certainly the flattest pitches I've seen in general, although the quality of bowling (aside from Kumble, really, and it's not like he was making the ball spit) also had an effect.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I love Swanneh but I don't think he'll be a huge factor in the Ashes. He could definitely contribute and take England home on the fifth day if they get in such a position so he could be the difference in the series (which makes me saying that he won't be a major factor a bit odd, I know) but he's not going to dig them out of any holes or run through sides early like he has been.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
He'll be even less of a factor if we replace the sitting duck lefties North and Hussey with a couple of right handers eg. Ferguson and Smith. Swann only got 4 right handers wickets last Ashes: Stuart Clark out at bat/pad (bad decision), Haddin holed out to deep midwicket, Clarke yorked himself coming down the pitch to him, and the ball of the century to Ponting. That's it. 4 right handers in 5 Tests.

morgieb

My views on how the players stand....

Watson < Strauss. Yes, Watto has been good, but Strauss is still probably better ats.
Katich > Cook. Cook's pretty average, Katich despite his conversion problems is still pretty good.
Ponting > Trott. Trott's not bad but you still have to back Punter.
Clarke > Pietersen. Would look stupid 2 years ago, now Clarke's gone leaps and bounds, whereas Pietersen has been rubbish for a while.
Hussey = Collingwood. Neither are doing much tbh.
North < Bell. Ding Dong's stepped up a lot recently, heaven knows why Norff's still in the side.
Haddin > Prior. Haddin's grossly under-rated, although neither seem to do much wrong.
Hauritz < Swann. Doesn't need explaining, although neither will be a big factor in Australia.
Johnson > Broad. Both mix awesome spells with off-periods. At least Johnson sometimes takes wickets in his off-periods, though.
Bollinger > Anderson. Because the ball doesn't swing much in Australia.
Hilfenhaus > Finn. Finn's not proven quality yet, Hilf to an extent is.

Not sure where Morgan will play, might need to get rid of Cook or Collingwood.

vcs

I am becoming a big fan of Morgan based on what I've seen of him in ODI's, I hope he gets a look-in at some stage.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Major ugh @ some of the XI's mentioned here

Do these people srsly watch/follow cricket? There's a few who mentioned "dropping Katich, usher the young blood in asap!" As for Ferguson, am a huge fan, but he hasn't played any cricket, let alone 4/5 day stuff for quite some time (due to injury), nevermind his issues re: converting. Same applies to Smith on a bowling front, no way is he a better spinner than Hauritz. Oh, and of course after a very small poor patch (4 tests ffs) there's a few claiming Clarke's spot should be under the microscope...

And people think the Selectors have no clue....

Jayzamann

International Regular
Just finalised a bet with a mate. If North plays in the 4th test I have to wear a dress for boxing day. If he doesn't, my mates pay for my drinks for the entire day

Don't let me down here selectors.
Utilising the stubbornness of a few to get drunk for free. Amicable :happy:

Spark

Global Moderator

Do these people srsly watch/follow cricket? There's a few who mentioned "dropping Katich, usher the young blood in asap!" As for Ferguson, am a huge fan, but he hasn't played any cricket, let alone 4/5 day stuff for quite some time (due to injury), nevermind his issues re: converting. Same applies to Smith on a bowling front, no way is he a better spinner than Hauritz. Oh, and of course after a very small poor patch (4 tests ffs) there's a few claiming Clarke's spot should be under the microscope...

Oh, okay, so my rant yesterday was misguided. Whilst I know there are some that say Clarke should be dropped (has everyone already forgot the 77 at Headingley, which is exactly the same score as posted by Smith, which is an innings everyone will remember?), I didn't think the foolishness extended to Katich as well.

Holy **** me some of those teams are dire. Do people not think these things through? If I see another person say Cameron White should be shoe-in'd to the captaincy...

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

I like this one...

"If they are feeling experimental they could call in some players like Warner from the T20 Team."