• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't know if there's much in it between this side and that of 2005. I do wonder whether the balance of top-class bowling and poor fielding was better than their current setup of high-quality bowling and top-class fielding.

Although when you compare their respective tours to South Africa the class of '05 just seems leagues ahead.
Yeah was talking about the 05 team. Probably one of the best ever sides to have not been the top of the tree at their time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Definitely not but as I said people are being a little bit bandwagonish when it comes to England. A few people need reminding that Australian teams being dire in England is to be expected and generally doesn't say too much about their performance on home decks.

Stapel

International Regular
A whitewash needs a special team. A team with the greatest spinner of all time, a top 5 all-time seamer of all time, a top 5 keeper / batsman of all time, completed with one of the the finest opening couples and some other greats might do it. In other words, it happened in 2006/7, but won't most defenitely happen this time around. The idea is quite ridiculous....

Apart from that, I really think England have the better team.

Stapel

International Regular
Not the best team in the last five years, but in with the best chance we've had for a while. Our team last time may have been better on paper, but as we all know we turned up a complete shambles. I'm certain we won't be a shambles this time.
Whether this England team is the best in the last 5 years is debatable. Otoh, the Aussies most defenitely have NOT the best team of the last 5 years.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah was talking about the 05 team. Probably one of the best ever sides to have not been the top of the tree at their time.
Yeah, this team isn't as good as the team was in 05, but unfortunately we never saw that team in Australia. By the time it got to 06/07 Ashes... well, I don't actually recall what happened. But I presume we didn't do that well or I'd remember it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Think it will be a fairly even Ashes. No matter how much you talk up the English side you're still playing in our backyard, and we've only lost to South Africa since the Windies in 1995 - Right? - I'm hoping the bookies follow the England bandwagon too

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely not but as I said people are being a little bit bandwagonish when it comes to England. A few people need reminding that Australian teams being dire in England is to be expected and generally doesn't say too much about their performance on home decks.
Not in my lifetime! :-O

Jayzamann

International Regular
It definitely won't be a whitewash, there's no way that the current England team will allow that. It was a special kind of perfect storm that occurred in 06/07.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It definitely won't be a whitewash, there's no way that the current England team will allow that. It was a special kind of perfect storm that occurred in 06/07.
I don't think Ponting really believes it - Or maybe he does...- But it sounds a lot better than saying we might limp over the line 4-0 :p

Uppercut

Only in the sense that the entire team hit a purple patch of form at exactly the same time. There aren't any bowlers in the 05 side you would look back on as world-class performers, but for that 18-month period, four of them most definitely were. Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff, Geraint Jones, Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss- they were all performing at their absolute peak, far above the level they were at for most of their careers.

It was a group of average-to-good players on a serious hot streak, and I don't know if you can apply such a label to them. But I suppose the point is that, at that moment in time, they could have beaten pretty much any side in history.

Still couldn't catch though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
will be having a few all nighters, but still can't see us getting anything out of the series, surprised if we win a test.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Only in the sense that the entire team hit a purple patch of form at exactly the same time. There aren't any bowlers in the 05 side you would look back on as world-class performers, but for that 18-month period, four of them most definitely were. Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff, Geraint Jones, Vaughan, Trescothick, Strauss- they were all performing at their absolute peak, far above the level they were at for most of their careers.

It was a group of average-to-good players on a serious hot streak, and I don't know if you can apply such a label to them. But I suppose the point is that, at that moment in time, they could have beaten pretty much any side in history.

Can add Pietersen. :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Nah, not Strauss, Trescothick or Vaughan. Well, Strauss's hottest period was prior to the Ashes but still falls in that time period, Tresco was fairly consistent for a longer period of time, but Vaughan's peak had passed a couple of years prior

vcs

Yeah, certainly not Vaughan. And I don't think Geraint Jones was ever all that good, was just at the right place at the right time.

Flintoff's peak also ended with that '05 Ashes series, though he produced one last good performance in India in 2006.

tooextracool

International Coach
The side that toured South Africa in 2004 was arguably the best England side of the past decade (With Butcher, Thorpe and Simon Jones). That was essentially their peak and whilst the Ashes were the pinnacle of their accomplishments, the Australian side that they beat performed worse than the South African side that they beat in South Africa only a few months earlier.

flibbertyjibber

The side that toured South Africa in 2004 was arguably the best England side of the past decade (With Butcher, Thorpe and Simon Jones). That was essentially their peak and whilst the Ashes were the pinnacle of their accomplishments, the Australian side that they beat performed worse than the South African side that they beat in South Africa only a few months earlier.
Still think if S.A. hadn't messed up their team selection at the start of that series the result could have been very different.The side that ended that series was far stronger than the one they picked for the 1st test.