• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Matt79

Global Moderator
If Johnson showed some form with the bat here, what would everyone think of him at 7 and Lee for maybe Hussey or Hughes?
Depends if Hussey tons up here I'd imagine. But even if he does, can't imagine promoting him in Hughes favour would do us any favours.

Johnners has been the weak link with the ball. Siddle was ok, given he had food poisoning and was trying not to ralph.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No but he should. I've not seen as much of this game as I'd like but from what I have seen Siddle should stay, he's a solid bowler who's good with the old ball and who hasn't let anyone down. If he gets dropped and Johnson stays, the Aussie selectors will have lost all sense of reality
Exactly right. We have enough bowlers to replace Johnson, there's no excuse for letting him play on if he hasn't improved come the third test.

He wouldn't be selected if he was bowling like this early on in his test career so I don't see why he should be selected now. Credit for past successes doesn't earn you wickets when you can barely hit the pitch. There's something wrong with Mitch at the moment and it needs to be sorted out before he plays in my opinion.

Of course, if he is selected in the next test, comes good and takes 15 wickets I'll be happy.

inbox24

International Debutant
Exactly right. We have enough bowlers to replace Johnson, there's no excuse for letting him play on if he hasn't improved come the third test.

He wouldn't be selected if he was bowling like this early on in his test career so I don't see why he should be selected now. Credit for past successes doesn't earn you wickets when you can barely hit the pitch. There's something wrong with Mitch at the moment and it needs to be sorted out before he plays in my opinion.
Story of his whole career.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually, now England have manned-up and are all hard about the "spirit of cricket", Ponting should deny Flintoff a sub when he wants a rare tub after bowling a spell. Let em field with 10. He had the injury coming into the game. **** him.
:)

Hoggy31

International Captain
You don't drop a guy who has carried your attack for the last 18 months after 2 bad tests, the prospect of him getting it right is too tempting also, his form (lack thereof) has been the factor that's bought England into this.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
You don't drop a guy who has carried your attack for the last 18 months after 2 bad tests, the prospect of him getting it right is too tempting also, his form (lack thereof) has been the factor that's bought England into this.
huh ??

Don;t drop Johnson but his form is responsible for England being in the series ???

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just saw Hauritz's catch from yesterday for the first time. When I saw Strauss's today I thought it was a poor decision, but in light of that catch being referred yesterday it's a deadset disgrace. It's lucky for the umpires that it won't have any bearing on the outcome of this match because England were always going to win, because that's an absolutely shocking piece of umpiring.

Athlai

Not Terrible
You know the only real difference in this match was that Strauss Cook partnership. Near 200 runs while the opposing partnership managed 4. If Australia were chasing 300-350 this would be a lot tighter.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well lee would have played the first test if he hadn;t pulled his side destroying England in that tour match.
They're not dropping Johnson, Hilf and Hauritz have bowled well, Siddle has been good but unlucky. They need a change but it's a really difficult decision coming up. Which is why they might bottle it and drop a batsman for an all rounder.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, Peter English on cricinfo says that Australia batting for two days here will be "as stunning as England's effort in the first test". Overrating England's performance in Cardiff a bit, surely? I'd say it'd leave it for dead personally.

Uppercut

If Johnson showed some form with the bat here, what would everyone think of him at 7 and Lee for maybe Hussey or Hughes?
Dropping Phil Hughes at this stage would be not only bad for the team (why make Hussey open when he's trying to feel his way back into form?), but extremely poor man-management. His technical weaknesses don't currently guarantee a low score every game, what they do guarantee is a fight. Five matches battling against Flintoff trying to hit him in the ribs and if he gets so much as a single century, he's set for his career. You've got to back him to come through. Drop him now after three bad innings and he might never be the same again.

Burgey

Just saw Hauritz's catch from yesterday for the first time. When I saw Strauss's today I thought it was a poor decision, but in light of that catch being referred yesterday it's a deadset disgrace. It's lucky for the umpires that it won't have any bearing on the outcome of this match because England were always going to win, because that's an absolutely shocking piece of umpiring.
(Y) :)

Meanwhile, over at the British Open the delightful Peter Alliss (sp) proves there is such a thing as an English commentator who isn't a complete and utter ****.

Last edited: