Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    One example: "Jones...Bowden!"

Kaspas hand wasn't on bat, should have been not out, Australia retains Ashes and england keep whinging and decide to form a "british" team to bring Andy Murray into the team and eventually try to say he's english.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

FMD, can we perhaps have 1 thread in this sub-forum that doesn't turn into a bitch-fight over something that is completely irrelevant to the thread itself. Agreeing with Smith, delete the useless posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

The posts here relate to (a) grumbles about umpiring errors in recent series and (b) whether or not the referral system will work. Judging by both the thread title and the opening post I don't think these things are as you suggest "completely irrelevant".

If there's anything guaranteed to start a bitch-fight it's referring to others' (generally pretty coherent) posts as "useless" and calling for their deletion. That goes for both you and dontcloseyoureyes from whom I'd generally expect better.

Both Bell and Pietersen in the 2nd innings at Edgbaston.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    eh
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Just watching some old 2005 footage, it reminded me that Bell and Pietersen were wrongly given out "caught" off Warne's bowling in the 2nd innings at Edgbaston. Not sure if they were clear enough errors to be corrected under the new system though which may lend some support to Richard's argument I suppose. And it did set up a pretty ok finish to the game.

Anyhow, God what a series that was. The spirit between the teams was so damn good.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Just watching some old 2005 footage, it reminded me that Bell and Pietersen were wrongly given out "caught" off Warne's bowling in the 2nd innings at Edgbaston. Not sure if they were clear enough errors to be corrected under the new system though which may lend some support to Richard's argument I suppose. And it did set up a pretty ok finish to the game.
    Pietersen, sure (despite that he was out first ball) but thought Bell's nick to the ''keeper was was clear as day. Didn't seem too fussed about the decision himself.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 06-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

from whom I'd generally expect better.
    lol
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    lol
    Sadly, or happily, very true - depending on how you look at it

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post

Kaspas hand wasn't on bat, should have been not out, Australia retains Ashes
    If errors were eliminated they wouldn't even have been playing by the time that happened, as Kasprowicz would have been given out lbw 1st ball.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Yes that was an error. But it's wrong to suggest that that invalidates the whole system.
    I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting that there's no way on Earth anyone can be remotely close to certain that the poor decision against Strauss in the Adelaide Oval second-innings would have been overturned with the referral system, because it fails as often if not more than it succeeds.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post

Kaspas hand wasn't on bat, should have been not out, Australia retains Ashes and england keep whinging and decide to form a "british" team to bring Andy Murray into the team and eventually try to say he's english.
    Law 33, dear boy:

"Either batsman is out Handled the ball if he wilfully touches the ball while in play with a hand or hands not holding the bat unless he does so with the consent of the opposing side."

Gone either way.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Dead-set, some people (mostly Australians... what a surprise ) have a hell of an ability to hallucinate a universe of errors more than actually happened in 2005.

You could probably count the number of obvious mistakes on two hands. In five Tests, that makes a pretty damn good series of Umpiring.

So... before we get onto tallying the errors in 2009, shall we have some claims made about how many there were in 2005? And actually give them, rather than just say "there were loads".
    As far as deadset shockers go - Damien Martyn at Old Trafford, given lbw off the middle of the bat.

McGrath yorked Harmison (?) in one of the tests, plum in front of middle stump, and it was given not out.

edit: might have been Simon Jones actually. Was the most blatant lbw in the history of the game.

I remember that Jones one (was definately Jones - LHB - though having looked back it was actually Brett Lee not McGrath who was bowling - McGrath missed the Test in question) but the Martyn exaggeration is precisely what I'm talking about. There is no way it (or Martyn's other bad lbw) was that obvious - yes, you'd hope a good Umpire would spot it most of the time, but it wasn't the sort of thing that there's no excuse whatsoever for, as the Katich one was (ditto the Lee-Jones one).

Let's do it. Seeing as Gelman doesn't want it done here for whatever reason, separate thread. Let's try and tally ALL the Umpiring errors in 2005, dividing them into easily-made mistakes and ridiculous ones.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Right then, we've just had the first error of the series. Strauss n\o to a pretty obviously out lbw against Johnson. And yes, it was pretty clearly out to my mind, HawkEye or no HawkEye.

Cost is precisely zero - Strauss out to the same bowler, the same over, without adding to his score.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information