• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hughes has looked convincing??
Considering the runs his made have all come from the middle of the bat and not through edges or miss-hits like people usually claim for a struggling batsman. Although I'd hardly classify that Hughes is struggling.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Must say that I slightly agree with wtfben here. Against everyone that isn't Flintoff he's looked absolutely fine, but Freddie has given him grief because of the high release and steep rise. Hughes will always struggle with this until he develops a decent pull shot or is prepared to wear the ball (something Steve Waugh used to be prepared for). Hughes seems keen on neither at the moment and hence will find himself struggling against the sharp rising ball.

Tall bowlers (that aren't rubbish ala. Morne) will always trouble him I reckon, as long as they get good sharp rise off the pitch. From all accounts Edgebaston is tarmac so I'd back him to make a score then, if he doesn't there then I think his confidence will be irrepairable for this series.

And I'm his biggest fan itbt (along with m00pheh).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Phil Hughes might not have scored many runs so far, but I'm backing him to come good in the rest of the series, England haven't really blown him away or anything, they have just tucked him up and given him no room to work with, and eventually he has got out fiddling at balls he should be leaving well alone.
Yeah, Hughes is the one batsman England have bowled really well to.

The impression I've got is of one team doing well to keep an excellent batsman tucked-up, not of a joker looking like he hasn't got a hope. It takes quite some bowling to manage to keep that up for a full five-match series so Hughes may very well score something before long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From all accounts Edgebaston is tarmac
Has been so far this year, but SWALEC and Lord's were hardly rubber or corrugated iron, so it's not likely to be enormously different if so.

Of course ideally we might get something a bit more lively, though that might well be asking far too much.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The impression I've got is of one team doing well to keep an excellent batsman tucked-up, not of a joker looking like he hasn't got a hope. It takes quite some bowling to manage to keep that up for a full five-match series so Hughes may very well score something before long.
Yeah I have to agree here (shock, horror!).

All his shots have looked good when he's had opportunity to play them. He's middled his cuts and drives and defended the full and straight one solidly. Tucking him up has been his downfall.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with Rich and Smitteh here, but I suspect if he's kept tucked up much longer he'll start to actually play badly at some stage.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed. Hughes looks good, but tall quicks seem to trouble him, and his lack of height means that he keeps on getting bounced. Backing him to come good, I hope. :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW what did wtf_ben get banned for? Just general obnoxiousness, or was there 1 particularly bad post?

Pigeon

Banned
Hughes is an extremely talented player but his talents are limited am afraid to the v square of the wicket on the offside.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure where the origin of the phrase "with weaknesses like that, who needs strengths?" comes from, but it rings true.

Graham Gooch may have been exaggerating when he said he made 40,000 First-Class runs with three shots, but he wasn't exaggerating by that much.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure where the origin of the phrase "with weaknesses like that, who needs strengths?" comes from, but it rings true.

Graham Gooch may have been exaggerating when he said he made 40,000 First-Class runs with three shots, but he wasn't exaggerating by that much.
The only thing is that he needs to find some sort of repellent to that ball. I'd draw a comparison with Steve Waugh, who many perceived to not like the ball tight and in the ribs once he stopped pulling. He then was able to sway inside the ball, but also get off strike with a tuck behind square.

Hughes needs to find a way to score, even just a single to get down the other end, to that line of bowling. He hasn't looked like going out to it against anyone but Flintoff though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The only thing is that he needs to find some sort of repellent to that ball. I'd draw a comparison with Steve Waugh, who many perceived to not like the ball tight and in the ribs once he stopped pulling. He then was able to sway inside the ball, but also get off strike with a tuck behind square.

Hughes needs to find a way to score, even just a single to get down the other end, to that line of bowling. He hasn't looked like going out to it against anyone but Flintoff though.
Not in the tests, perhaps, but Harmison used a similar MO in the Loins game.

Hughes is clearly an egregious talent with a wonderful eye but he does have a very quirky technique that means perhaps more attention is going to be drawn to his foibles than they are with more orthodox batters.

pup11

International Coach
Hughes is an extremely talented player but his talents are limited am afraid to the v square of the wicket on the offside.
Let's not forget he is just 20 atm, and he has lot of time on his hands to develop and tighten his game, I think if you discount that those trigger movements of his, then one would notice that Hughes against pace bowling plays in quite the similar fashion as Michael Clarke used to do when he initially burst onto the scene.

Clarke too like Hughes used to play a lot of flashy cut shots against the pace bowlers, and was predominantly an off-side, with a flick through mid-wicket or square leg being his only big scoring shots through the on-side.

Clarke even now is predominantly an off-side player, but he has developed his on-side game too, and most importantly Clarke has grown into a more patient batsman, who waits for the right balls to play his shots, and likewise Hughes too would tighten his technique and game with time, but atm he should be allowed to play the he wants to.

pup11

International Coach
Agreed. Hughes looks good, but tall quicks seem to trouble him, and his lack of height means that he keeps on getting bounced. Backing him to come good, I hope. :unsure:
I think being tall isn't enough, otherwise Morne Morkel would have been all over Hughes, like a rash, regardless of how tall you are, you need to accurate enough not to give him any room whatsoever to work with, leading him into getting frustrated and chucking his wicket away.

I'm sure if Hughes can see off the initial spell from Anderson and Freddie, then he would find the going a lot easier against Broad and Onions, because despite being tall, they are hardly as accurate or consistent as Anderson or Fred.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Was quite surprised to see the slickness of Phil Hughes's website, and that he's on Twitter and everything... especially since only the really big players have their own websites. I hope his management company isn't going too big too soon with him, seems a bit much.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think being tall isn't enough, otherwise Morne Morkel would have been all over Hughes, like a rash, regardless of how tall you are, you need to accurate enough not to give him any room whatsoever to work with, leading him into getting frustrated and chucking his wicket away.

I'm sure if Hughes can see off the initial spell from Anderson and Freddie, then he would find the going a lot easier against Broad and Onions, because despite being tall, they are hardly as accurate or consistent as Anderson or Fred.
Morne got him out enough times. He just didn't bother appealing.:sleep:

simmy

International Regular

Well with any luck it will be Onions and Harmison as the first change bowlers...

Instead of that waste of space Broad.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well with any luck it will be Onions and Harmison as the first change bowlers...
Wont happen and we all know it. The only way both Onions and Harmison will play is if Flintoff is injured as Broad will play the next test match and probably the rest of the series whether that is the right or wrong decision is another matter.