• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
very sad for Watto again, hopefully he will get to play in Perth where i think 5 bowlers will needed on both sides if it plays like it did last year.

chalky

International Debutant
I would bring in Mahmood and Monty for Giles & Anderson. Giles proved, what many people know, that he would not be effective at all with ball. Anderson tried hard but is not going to be able to keep the Aussies quiet; he comes on to the bat at a good pace and doesn't get much bounce. Although Saj will be just as expensive as Anderson at least he may be able to bowl the odd wicket taking delivery.

There is a big argument though that England has played their best cricket since the Ashes with only 4 bowlers. And I think Flintoff backed up pretty well and should be able to bowl 20 overs a day which was the big concern over going in with only 4 bowlers. Also batting at 7 would take off a bit of the workload and pressure.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
So if Macgill plays, who makes way? Clark or Lee?
I don't think MacGill will play, which is the wrong move IMO. But if he does, surely Lee would have to make way for him.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I would doubt even Dunc would be pig-headed enough to leave Monty out at Adelaide. I'd presume it'd be at Anderson's expense. As awful as Harmison was, he was actually more economical than Jimmy in Brisbane & potentially is the better bowler.

I'd make sure he knew he was on his last chance though. If he performs anywhere near as badly again he should be out. We don't want to make the same mistake as Australia did with Dizzy last year.

I know it's easy to be wise after the event, but looking at the sort of surfaces that we're likely to be bowling on I can't help but think Broad or Tremlett might've had more success than Anderson or Plunkett will. Both tall & can get decent bounce (like Clark) &, in Tremlett's case, appreciably quicker as a bonus too.
Not unless he's put pace on whilst having these back injuries, he was mid80s-88ish tops before which is similar to Anderson and Plunkett (though Anderson touched 90 in Brisbane). Unless of course you mean appreciably quicker than Clark? even then it'd be doubtful given his injuries that he'd be much quicker than clark, and he's certainly more wayward. I reckon Broad's probably about Tremlett pace in any case.

anyway the best hope for the future imo is Smith, from what i've seen he's much more accurate than any of our other young seamers, tall as well. A bit on the young side now though, plenty of talent with the bat as well

Laurrz

International Debutant
Australia name unchanged squad for Adelaide

i really wanted to watch Warne and MacGill again

im not quite sure.. their batting.....and our 4 man attack...Bing has to get his rhythm back...

irfan

State Captain
I think they've missed a trick here, surely they shud hav picked MacGill over Johnson - just to give them an option to play two spinners if needed or if Warne has sum freak injury

social

irfan said:
I think they've missed a trick here, surely they shud hav picked MacGill over Johnson - just to give them an option to play two spinners if needed or if Warne has sum freak injury
Aus selectors never admit mistakes even when it costs them a series

As for Macgill - 200 test wickets, one of the leading strike rates of all time for a spinner, Eng have weakness vs leg-spin BUT he shows Warne up every time they bowl together and he drinks red wine

Can't have that now

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Without Watson, they're clearly uncomfortable with picking two spinners, and dropping Clark would be decidedly unfair. Not picking MacGill makes sense, I think. He will probably get a game later in the series when Watson is fit, if the wickets are taking turn.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Agreed. Not to mention MacGill needs some more matches under his belt, an expensive 6-for is the only good performance he`s had in a while.

I reckon Australia might play five bowlers just quietly.

irfan

State Captain
If they're gonna play 5, they shud play Tait. Gun bowler IMO, he will spray it but he is a genuine wicket taker and is the only bowler who can take the pitch and conditions out of the equation which is a useful asset considering the Adelaide track is pretty flat.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:
Agreed. Not to mention MacGill needs some more matches under his belt, an expensive 6-for is the only good performance he`s had in a while.

I reckon Australia might play five bowlers just quietly.

nah wont happen i dont think, i doubt Gilchrist's form is good enough, and the bowlers are bowling well enough to obly need 4 of them, if the wicket does start to turn Clarke will get a bowl.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
Not unless he's put pace on whilst having these back injuries, he was mid80s-88ish tops before which is similar to Anderson and Plunkett (though Anderson touched 90 in Brisbane). Unless of course you mean appreciably quicker than Clark? even then it'd be doubtful given his injuries that he'd be much quicker than clark, and he's certainly more wayward. I reckon Broad's probably about Tremlett pace in any case.

anyway the best hope for the future imo is Smith, from what i've seen he's much more accurate than any of our other young seamers, tall as well. A bit on the young side now though, plenty of talent with the bat as well
Yup. Have to be honest & say I haven't seen much of him since he came back last year, but he turned out fairly tidy figures.

&, I could be wrong, but going by Sky's speed gun he seemed to be bowling slightly quicker on average (about 84-5mph) pre-injury than Broad was v Pakistan this year (82-3mph). Going by the first test, Clark seems roughly Broad's pace, maybe a shade slower.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
any news on the condition of the pitch?
Hard, flat. Stinking hot weather, will dry out and break up and take spin as the game goes on, and probably some uneven bounce. Bat first and make a big score, simply. Won't be any conventional swing in Adelaide, but there might be some reverse. Shane Warne likes the wicket, but I don't think it'll be great for finger spin until later in the match, when it should be very good. England should pick both spinners, as there'll be very little joy for the quicks and they'll have to bowl very well.

edit: Actually, I just had a look at the forecast and it seems like it's going to be unseasonably cool in Adelaide over the weekend. Hot on Friday, but reasonably cool and overcast on the weekend. Will be very hot on Monday and Tuesday though, if the game goes that long. 34 and 36, which is murder in Adelaide.

Just checked another site which says that it'll be cool and overcast throughout the whole test. Who the hell knows.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
social said:
Aus selectors never admit mistakes even when it costs them a series

As for Macgill - 200 test wickets, one of the leading strike rates of all time for a spinner, Eng have weakness vs leg-spin BUT he shows Warne up every time they bowl together and he drinks red wine

Can't have that now
And is educated and doesn't use a mobile phone to get into into people's pants :ph34r: :mellow: :naughty:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
irfan said:
If they're gonna play 5, they shud play Tait. Gun bowler IMO, he will spray it but he is a genuine wicket taker and is the only bowler who can take the pitch and conditions out of the equation which is a useful asset considering the Adelaide track is pretty flat.
Thats what Durham thought
1st game- 12 overs 113 runs 0 wickets
2nd game- 6 overs 63 runs 0 wickets

3rd game...Oh wait, he been given his ticket home by then :laugh:

Matteh

Goughy said:
Thats what Durham thought
1st game- 12 overs 113 runs 0 wickets
2nd game- 6 overs 63 runs 0 wickets

3rd game...Oh wait, he been given his ticket home by then :laugh:
Remind me, how many were noballs?