• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tour Games

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dontcloseyoureyes said:
He's been one of NSW best OD bowlers this season. No idea why he's close to the FC side, though.
Casson hasn't really done that well though, and he averages over 40 in domestic cricket. Surely Macgill is the first choice, but Casson isn't doing himself any favours.

tooextracool

International Coach
Woodster said:
Did Pietersen hook compulsively today ? Did they bowl many short balls to him and Flintoff or are they saving it for the Tests ?
Id be extremely surprised if they didnt go after the 2 of them with short balls. I mean theres no way they want any of the England batsmen to spend too much time in the middle and get themselves into form. Flintoff in particular has barely scored a run since return and playing him back into form would be plain stupid. From reports Pietersen nearly got himself out playing the hook shot.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Nice to see 4 of our top 6 getting runs - Trescothivk failed again though - will Fletcher drop him if he fails at Adelaide? I have to say credit to NSW for the team they are fielding - there are worse attacks in Test cricket then McGrath, Lee, Braken and Clark - and apparently SA will play a strong side agaonst us too. What a contrast to when Australia come here and the counties field weak teams to give Aussie barsmen easy runs. I know England A play the tourists now - and did well against SL and Pakistan during the summer - but we need combined county teams to give the tourists tough games .

Woodster

International Captain
I wasn't suggesting the Aussies want to play them 2 into form, obviously. Bowling short is not the only way of removing them. Its like when Warne bowls against England players before a series, he won't show them the full repertoire of his armoury to get them used to and practice playing against him.

I appreciate they want our 2 key players going into the 1st Test low on confidence, but there's more than one way to skin a cat!!

tooextracool

International Coach
Woodster said:
I wasn't suggesting the Aussies want to play them 2 into form, obviously. Bowling short is not the only way of removing them. Its like when Warne bowls against England players before a series, he won't show them the full repertoire of his armoury to get them used to and practice playing against him.

I appreciate they want our 2 key players going into the 1st Test low on confidence, but there's more than one way to skin a cat!!
Well i think that a spin bowler not bowling his slider or googly is quite different from a fast bowler not bowling a short ball. Variations of length are completely different from variations in bowling because you have to be able to pick a slider and pick a googly from the hand, which is different from getting throat balls. As such everyone including Pietersen and Flintoff know exactly what the Australian plan is so its not like they wont be expecting it. Regardless, most reports claim that Lee and Mcgrath both tried to bounce Pietersen and Flintoff and obviously it didnt work out too successfully.

Woodster

International Captain
I appreciate what you are saying, but the principles are stil the same. Both Freddie and KP are putting in the hours in the nets working on playing the short ball, and what better way to perfect that than getting some throat balls in match situations.

Think you may have taken my point far too literally, it was merely a comment to decipher if they were peppered or whether the Aussies tried them out early, then decided to keep that weapon in their pockets till it really matters. Don't think that its too inconceivable that the Aussie Test bowlers would do that.

PY

International Coach
More discussion and info in the Smith/Panesar thread in CC if you want to take a look people. :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
Disappointing. Still, we'll see if the zero-tolerance policy actually amounts to very much.
It's a lot of talk, just to look good. Sure, if it's really obvious, they'll apprehend someone, but in most cases, it'd be pretty tough to identify who it is doing all the abusing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Laurrz said:
Englands day i think because 4 of their batsmen struck form and luckily for them they will prolly play Cook instead of Bell
I don't think they're competing to be honest - Cook at 3 was inked in IMO.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
For me the last batting spot is between collingwood and cook, no way bell can be dropped after he practically carried the odi side since the summer and had an amazing summer and previous winter in the tests, he must have the best average in the last calender year than anyone in the side

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
albo97056 said:
For me the last batting spot is between collingwood and cook, no way bell can be dropped after he practically carried the odi side since the summer and had an amazing summer and previous winter in the tests, he must have the best average in the last calender year than anyone in the side
Cook is an obvious choice and Collingwood should be ahead of Bell, they've similar records when you remove the Bangladesh freebies but Bell was completely useless against Australia because of his mental issues which don't seem to have been resolved and Collingwood is a better fielder.

Although they should both end up playing ahead of Tresco if he's not all there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh yes, I clearly remember Collingwood's 3 tons in consecutive tests that should put him ahead of Bell...

tooextracool

International Coach
albo97056 said:
No cook, has a better record for 2006 than Bell . hes also scored just as many hundreds, and hes been successful in all 3 of the series hes played. Cook isnt going to be dropped, its never been an issue really. For mine its 2 spots between Trescothick v Bell v Collingwood and all 3 of them will probably only get one more outing to push for their place.

tooextracool

International Coach
is there really a point in having hoggard and co bat right now? wouldnt the time be much better spent having the bowlers get a bit of a run in instead?