• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to Russia 2018

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So that's now six consecutive 0-0 playoff draws, encompassing every competing side. Starting to think this tournament might not be a classic.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
At least we won't have to suffer the "do it for Buffon because he is a nice man" meme this time round.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So that's now six consecutive 0-0 playoff draws, encompassing every competing side. Starting to think this tournament might not be a classic.
I tend to go into World Cups with low expectations anyway. Probably why I enjoyed the group stages so much last time out.

Uppercut

I tend to go into World Cups with low expectations anyway. Probably why I enjoyed the group stages so much last time out.
The group stage tends to be decent anyway because 3 points for a win means both sides often need to go for it. Then in the knockouts you at least get a penalty shoot-out if the game is a ****** stalemate. So a bad World Cup is still pretty good, but it's a shame they're so much worse than they used to be.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I wish I could feel the same way about World Cups as I did when I was a kid.

I think the enjoyment generated by them back in those days was one of the greatest of life's experiences.

The fact that I will probably never feel the same way about them is genuinely one of the most lamentable things about growing old(er).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wish I could feel the same way about World Cups as I did when I was a kid.

I think the enjoyment generated by them back in those days was one of the greatest of life's experiences.

The fact that I will probably never feel the same way about them is genuinely one of the most lamentable things about growing old(er).
Back in my day we didn't have the sort of wall to wall television coverage we have now, which is why World Cups were special.

I'd be surprised if kids today felt the same about the World Cup as we did at that age. For one thing, the final stages of the Champions League are much better.

Niall

International Coach
too many individual mistakes from Irish players tonight sadly. MON not blameless, no clue why he went way to gung-ho at half time when the game was still in the balance.

Dunno really where they can go, MON getting binned makes sense, but only so much you can do with those players.

Uppercut

I don’t think our ceiling is especially high but we can definitely play better. Even leaving aside his total lack of tactics, O’Neill’s team selection has been bad from the start. He just very often leaves out his best players.

Northern Ireland are what a team making the most of modest resources looks like. I don’t have a clear preference for either team but found the NI exit so, so much harder to take.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
too many individual mistakes from Irish players tonight sadly. MON not blameless, no clue why he went way to gung-ho at half time when the game was still in the balance.

Dunno really where they can go, MON getting binned makes sense, but only so much you can do with those players.
It pleases me to see Martin O'Neill humiliated like that. Man is a total ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Back in my day we didn't have the sort of wall to wall television coverage we have now, which is why World Cups were special.

I'd be surprised if kids today felt the same about the World Cup as we did at that age. For one thing, the final stages of the Champions League are much better.
Yeah, probably right.

In a similar vein, I really dislike the Champions League final being on a Saturday nowadays. I get why it's like that and all, but I always used to really enjoy the fact that it was on during the week.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I know I'm nitpicking but that second penalty has to be one of the most blatant red cards I've ever seen not given.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
'Grats to yer Aussies.

Pleased to see Honduras out. Looked a comically filthy bunch of ****s in 2014 and the reports on the second leg suggest they haven't turned into the Netherlands circa 74 in the intervening years.