Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Group 1 Second Round - Sri Lanka, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Netherlands

Group 1 Second Round - Sri Lanka, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Netherlands

Discussion surrounding Group 1 Second Round involving Sri Lanka, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Qualifier B1

Sat Mar 22 (20 ovs)
    14th Match, Group 1 - South Africa v Sri Lanka
    Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium, Chittagong

Sat Mar 22 (20 ovs)
    15th Match, Group 1 - England v New Zealand

Mon Mar 24 (20 ovs)
    18th Match, Group 1 - New Zealand v South Africa

Mon Mar 24 (20 ovs)
    19th Match, Group 1 - Sri Lanka v Netherlands

Thu Mar 27 (20 ovs)
    21st Match, Group 1 - South Africa v Netherlands

Thu Mar 27 (20 ovs)
    22nd Match, Group 1 - England v Sri Lanka

Sat Mar 29 (20 ovs)
    25th Match, Group 1 - New Zealand v Netherlands

Sat Mar 29 (20 ovs)
    26th Match, Group 1 - England v South Africa

Mon Mar 31 (20 ovs)
    29th Match, Group 1 - England v Netherlands

Mon Mar 31 (20 ovs)
    30th Match, Group 1 - New Zealand v Sri Lanka
    Last edited by James; 21-03-2014 at 06:34 PM.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Absolutely pumped Mildly enthused for this upcoming tournament. definitely the biggest cricket cricketball event of the year month, given there's no other cricket on. I'll be glued to the 'tv' to 'watch' 'every ball'. NZ certainly have a strong chance as much chance as anyone a chance to come away from this tournament as glorious winners people standing on a podium collecting medals. It's going to be a real cracker biscuit.
    Flem274*, BeeGee and Meridio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Discussion surrounding Group 1 Second Round involving Sri Lanka, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Qualifier B1

Sat Mar 22 (20 ovs)
    14th Match, Group 1 - South Africa v Sri Lanka

Sat Mar 22 (20 ovs)
    15th Match, Group 1 - England v New Zealand

Mon Mar 24 (20 ovs)
    18th Match, Group 1 - New Zealand v South Africa

Mon Mar 24 (20 ovs)
    19th Match, Group 1 - Sri Lanka v TBC (Qualifier B1)

Thu Mar 27 (20 ovs)
    21st Match, Group 1 - South Africa v TBC (Qualifier B1)

Thu Mar 27 (20 ovs)
    22nd Match, Group 1 - England v Sri Lanka

Sat Mar 29 (20 ovs)
    25th Match, Group 1 - New Zealand v TBC (Qualifier B1)

Sat Mar 29 (20 ovs)
    26th Match, Group 1 - England v South Africa

Mon Mar 31 (20 ovs)
    29th Match, Group 1 - England v TBC (Qualifier B1)

Mon Mar 31 (20 ovs)
    30th Match, Group 1 - New Zealand v Sri Lanka
    Interesting to note that all these games will be 20 overs.

I think New Zealand have a chance, probably hardest game will be against Sri Lanka in their group (after seeing what England & SA did in their games v Aus).
    Last edited by wiff; 16-03-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Gotta be tipping Sri Lanka and NZ to go through from this group??

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Will England win a game?

England to win the whole thing ...... if they make it out of the group.

Good scheduling giving NZ the 2:30am (NZT) game instead of the 10:30pm (NZT) game.

Brilliant.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    To watch, or to take advantage of my first proper day off in weeks? fml but the cricket it is.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    nah cbf. if i somehow make it home from a 21st tonight i'll watch but i don't really care if i miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

England, New Zealand ready themselves for wet-ball challenge | Previews | Cricket Blogs, Opinions & Analysis | Wisden India

When England come to play in the subcontinent, they expect an endless barrage of questions about spin: how they plan to play it, and who will bowl it well enough for them. For once, though, they go into the ICC World Twenty20 2014 in Chittagong without this challenge.

Later in the tournament, when England come up against Sri Lanka, some of those old wounds may be reopened, but when they start their campaign against New Zealand, at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium on Saturday (March 22) evening, it is the fitness of their captain and the conditions at the venue that will be on top of the mind.

Broad, who has struggled with a knee injury that has been his constant companion over the last few months, got a chance to test himself out in the warm-up match against India, and was confident of pulling up strongly, thanks to the enforced rest.

It was quite a new position for me as a player, to have my first bowl and fitness test during a game, but with it being a warm-up game and India playing 15 players it was an opportunity that was presented to us, said Broad. It actually gave me a lot of confidence having had 12 balls in the middle. We know how different it is bowling in nets. Im very confident of playing a part tomorrow and in the rest of the tournament. The last ten days, where I rested, were a positive. It has been a long winter for me with the number of overs Ive bowled and those ten days have just freshened me up so I can really come firing into this World Cup.

With the uncertainty around Broad being sorted and he certainly did not appear in any obvious discomfort when England trained there was time and space to address the other issue. All through this season, dew has played a major part in day-night fixtures at the venue. To try and counter this, Englands bowlers were handed wet balls, so spinners and pacemen alike could get used to bowling with a ball that was difficult to grip.

It looks quite obvious dew is going to play a part, said Broad. Were practising today with wet balls, getting the spinners bowling with wet balls, fielding with wet balls. Its not something you do very often I dont think Ive ever done it. I called Swanny (Graeme Swann) the other day, and he said he struggled with gripping the ball here in 2011. Its something we have to take into consideration, because if you go in with three spinners and they cant bowl, youve stuffed yourself a bit.

Broad suggested that it was not only the spinners who would struggle with a wet ball. Its something to consider as a fast bowler, will your legcutters and offcutters grip, will you be able to get enough grip on it to make it worthwhile? said Broad. The wicket has gone through a lot better than I thought it would, as a quick bowler, so the bouncer may well be a really good ball to bowl. Weve picked up some good information from the ground but were still not quite sure how much effect the dew will take so well have to think on our feet tomorrow night.

New Zealand concerned themselves less with the dew, perhaps because their seam bowlers were just excited to be presented with a surface that was true and had some grass cover on it. I dont think spin is going to be such a major factor here, said Brendon McCullum, who said his team had used the trick of practising with wet balls in the past. The extra pace and the grass here will work in our favour, rather than teams such as Sri Lanka.

In their first game of the tournament, New Zealand were quite happy to be playing against a team missing a certain player. Were quite pleased not be up against Kevin Pietersen, said McCullum. We know England well, have played them quite a lot in the last year or so. Well be prepared.

Teams (from):

England: Stuart Broad (capt), Michael Lumb, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan, Moeen Ali, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Jos Buttler, Alex Hales, Luke Wright, Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan, Tim Bresnan, Jade Dernbach, James Tredwell, Stephen Parry.

New Zealand: Brendon McCullum (capt), Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Colin Munro, Anton Devcich, Corey Anderson, Jimmy Neesham, Luke Ronchi (wk), Tim Southee, Kyle Mills, Nathan McCullum, Mitchell McClenaghan, Trent Boult, Ronnie Hira.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    Gotta be tipping Sri Lanka and NZ to go through from this group??
    Would certainly be my tip, interesting things can happen when everybody starts taking t20s seriously though
    There are two colours in my head

Sri Lankan selectors are gonna have to leave out one of Herath, Sachi and Mendis, pretty tough on whoever misses out, but tbh, I'd probably have Herath sitting this one out tbh, seems like the guy South Africa would be most comfortable with

Sriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Lankaaaaa Namoooo Namoooo

Man I love that anthem

Perera hitting them nice.

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Perera is striking them well.

Page 1 of 84 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information