Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Guardian's Pick Your World Cup Dream Team

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!

The Guardian's Pick Your World Cup Dream Team

World Cup dream team: pick your all-time XI | Football | The Guardian

Go to the above link and pick a team on the players they've chosen to nominate. Mine is:

4-4-2? Going old skool

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Kahn

Carlos
    Passarella
    Beckenbauer
    Alberto

Maradona
    Matthaus
    Zidane
    Cruyff

Pele
    Ronaldo
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    4-4-2? Going old skool
    Didn't give me a choice. Would have gone 4-3-3 and probably picked a couple different players if they were available.

Looking back on my team, I guess I haven't picked the players who were best at the actual World Cup but a team I'd like to take to a World Cup, if all of them were eligible to be on the same team.
    Last edited by Ikki; 05-06-2014 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Didn't give me a choice. Would have gone 4-3-3 and probably picked a couple different players if they were available.

Looking back on my team, I guess I haven't picked the players who were best at the actual World Cup but a team I'd like to take to a World Cup, if all of them were eligible to be on the same team.
    You're not kidding with Messi and Gullit in the side.

Always tempting though. Ever since the 1988 Euros, I'd have Van Basten as my all time centre forward. but I don't think he did a thing in a WC.

To a lesser extent Platini, who I absolutely worshipped in the 1984 Euros, but didn't shine quite as brightly in any of his three WCs.

I'll have a go later.

EDIT
    Interesting that Beckenbauer is being viewed as a defender. I'll have to look at the WG side from the early 1970s to see whether they played two central defenders behind him. My memory reckons he played as a libero in front of or behind the back four depending on the state of the game. Might be wrong though.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 05-06-2014 at 11:27 AM.

International Coach
    Beckenbauer started as a midfielder and became the libero but I'm not sure on dates. He was definitely still in midfield in 1970 as he was playing opposite Bobby Charlton in that game so the switch was at some point after then.

EDIT: This was bugging me so had a quick Google.

"The beauty of the ploy was, as explained in Soccer: The World Game: "The role of sweeper appeared a perfect launching pad, since the sweeper himself was never marked, lurked deep at the back, and could pick his moment to surge upfield." Bayern were quickly convinced of its value, but the West German manager Helmut Schoen was more cautious. Despite Beckenbauer's requests he was not allowed to play the way he wanted to for his country until the European Championship Finals of 1972, by which time he had been an international for seven years."

http://www.ifhof.com/hof/beckenbauer.asp
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 05-06-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Did it on the BBC site

Zoff

Thuram, Beckenbaur, Maldini

Mathaus, Garincha, Jairzinho, Boniek

Pele, Muller, Maradona
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Me too. Gone for an uncompromising 'Total Football' side;

Dino Zoff (Italy 1982)

Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany 1974)
    Paolo Maldini (Italy 1994)
    Franco Barasi (Italy 1982)
    Claudio Gentile (Italy 1982)

Michel Platini (France 1982)
    Alain Giresse (France 1982)
    Johan Neeskens (Holland 1974)
    Gerson (Brazil 1970)

Pele (Brazil 1970)
    Johan Cruyff (Holland 1974)
    "Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong" - Oscar Wilde

While I'm thinking of Total Football here is 10 minutes of the infamous Holland V Brazil match of 1974 (doesn't matter that the commentary is in Dutch as it's pure entertainment anyhow). Features a great goal by the greatest Dutch midfielder of them all, Neeskens, and the only copybook Rugby League tackle on a soccer field. Why there was only one red card given by the Ref beats the hell out if me;

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    You're not kidding with Messi and Gullit in the side.
    I know, I only realised it seeing Uppercut's team.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Me too. Gone for an uncompromising 'Total Football' side;

Dino Zoff (Italy 1982)

Franz Beckenbauer (West Germany 1974)
    Paolo Maldini (Italy 1994)
    Franco Barasi (Italy 1982)
    Claudio Gentile (Italy 1982)

Michel Platini (France 1982)
    Alain Giresse (France 1982)
    Johan Neeskens (Holland 1974)
    Gerson (Brazil 1970)

Pele (Brazil 1970)
    Johan Cruyff (Holland 1974)

Wonderful team. Very close to my own preferences, with a mainly Italian defence behind a Dutch/Brazilian/French front six.
    Good to see someone else remembers and treasures the memory of Gerson and Giresse, but I couldn't quite stretch to including them in my side.
    And I like your moral stance against including the cheating druggie Maradona.

However, I'd probably have to pick Maradona in the best team I have seen at WCs
    And my personal favourite would be Socrates, even if the Guardian didn't see fit to include him.

At the expense of Giresse and Gerson, I suppose.
    If I can't have Socrates, the Gerson stays.

I'll have to try and put together a side from the players who I never saw due to being before my time.

Wonderful team. Very close to my own preferences, with a mainly Italian defence behind a Dutch/Brazilian/French front six.
    Good to see someone else remembers and treasures the memory of Gerson and Giresse, but I couldn't quite stretch to including them in my side.
    And I like your moral stance against including the cheating druggie Maradona.

However, I'd probably have to pick Maradona in the best team I have seen at WCs
    And my personal favourite would be Socrates, even if the Guardian didn't see fit to include him.

At the expense of Giresse and Gerson, I suppose.
    If I can't have Socrates, the Gerson stays.

I'll have to try and put together a side from the players who I never saw due to being before my time.
    I liked the idea of including at least a couple of Frenchman from the 'Magic Square', but yes, Giresse could easily make way for Maradonna as they were similar types of player.

Socrates and Gerson were the 'brains' behind their respective Brazilian sides, so that swap could work as well.
    However, Gerson and Pele combined beautifully in attack during the 1970 World Cup, so why break the partnership? The same goes for Neeskens and Cruyff. The two Dutchman were genius together.

It was tough to leave out Wolfgang Overath as the accuracy of his left boot guided W. Germany to victory in 1974, but the side has enough play makers as it is, plus I didn't want to disrupt the natural French, Dutch, and Brazilian combinations in the middle of the field. Incidently, since superkingdave selected Muller as a striker then I reckon that Overath should be playing left-midfield in his team rather than Boniek.

I look forward to seeing your team wpdavid.
    Last edited by watson; 06-06-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Growing up, it was an article of faith that Banks and Moore were the best in the world in their respective positions, so they have to play.
    Which frees up Beckenbauer to play in midfield, probably as the DM, which combines the best of the two roles he played over the years.

If I was going for a team to beat all-comers, the rest of the back four would have to be Italian.
    If we're going for players that I've enjoyed watching, then Carlos Alberto and Ruud Kroll play at full back. Maybe having Beckenbauer as DM allows that.

Choosing a centre back isn't easy, as most of the best central defenders who stick in the memory played behind the centre half - Baresi, Passerella plus Moore and Becks of course. I honestly think that Puyol is as good as anyone I've seen in that position. Either that or pick someone like Gentile, but I don't think he actually played in central defence.

Further forward, Pele, Cruyff and Maradona have to play.
    I agree with Watson about Neeskins.

Which leaves me needing someone on the right.
    I'm going to cheat, as I never saw him play, but.by all accounts Garrincha fits the bill.

So it looks like this:

Banks

Carlos Alberto
    Puyol
    Moore
    Kroll

Garrincha
    Beckenbauer
    Neeskins
    Cruyff

Pele
    Maradona

EDIT
    As for a team of players I never saw, it would have ended up as Hungary from 1954 plus Garricha instead of whoever played on the right for Hungary.
    Truth is I don't really know enough about the great Uruguyan teams of the past to cherry pick.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 07-06-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Growing up, it was an article of faith that Banks and Moore were the best in the world in their respective positions, so they have to play.
    Which frees up Beckenbauer to play in midfield, probably as the DM, which combines the best of the two roles he played over the years.

If I was going for a team to beat all-comers, the rest of the back four would have to be Italian.
    If we're going for players that I've enjoyed watching, then Carlos Alberto and Ruud Kroll play at full back. Maybe having Beckenbauer as DM allows that.

Choosing a centre back isn't easy, as most of the best central defenders who stick in the memory played behind the centre half - Baresi, Passerella plus Moore and Becks of course. I honestly think that Puyol is as good as anyone I've seen in that position. Either that or pick someone like Gentile, but I don't think he actually played in central defence.

Further forward, Pele, Cruyff and Maradona have to play.
    I agree with Watson about Neeskins.

Which leaves me needing someone on the right.
    I'm going to cheat, as I never saw him play, but.by all accounts Garrincha fits the bill.

So it looks like this:

Banks

Carlos Alberto
    Puyol
    Moore
    Kroll

Garrincha
    Beckenbauer
    Neeskins
    Cruyff

Pele
    Maradona

EDIT
    As for a team of players I never saw, it would have ended up as Hungary from 1954 plus Garricha instead of whoever played on the right for Hungary.
    Truth is I don't really know enough about the great Uruguyan teams of the past to cherry pick.
    Yeah nice team. Think that Cruff and Maradona should be swapped around as Cruyff was more of an out and out striker than Maradona. Playing Beckenbauer in the midfield is a clever idea so as to accomodate your preferred back four.

Just realised that Barasi and Beckanbauer are both potential sweepers in my team. But out of the two I think that Barasi was better in that particular role, so Beckanbauer can sit in the middle of the defence with Maldini and Gentile in their natural left and right back positions.
    Last edited by watson; 08-06-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Yeah nice team. Think that Cruff and Maradona should be swapped around as Cruyff was more of an out and out striker than Maradona. Playing Beckenbauer in the midfield is a clever idea so as to accomodate your preferred back four.

Just realised that Barasi and Beckanbauer are both potential sweepers in my team. But out of the two I think that Barasi was better in that particular role, so Beckanbauer can sit in the middle of the defence with Maldini and Gentile in their natural left and right back positions.
    Yeah, I think that Cruyff and Maradona would play all over the park anyway. It certainly wouldn't turn out like the 4-4-2 that I've listed.

Perhaps a more honest pick would have seen Platini along side Neeskins instead of Beckenbauer, but they're all great of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information