• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, USA

BeeGee

International Captain
The Germans are OK as long as you don't mention the war.

Sounds like a great game. Sorry I missed it.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Depends on the alternative. I generally don't mind Brazil,so ok. France winning would take them above us in WCs won, and they're French. Hate Argentina. Italy are Italy. Nothing against the Belgians (who has), but it's really not going to happen is it? The Dutch would be Okay I suppose, few ****s, but at least they're playing football this year.

Chile would be fun, TBH wouldn't mind a new winner, but just don't see it.

I guess my point is I won't be gutted about it if they win, and I doubt I'll celebrate like I used to do when they went out in a slightly sad Scotch-to-England way.
This is largely the same for me, apart from the fact that I don't like Brazil, and don't "hate" Argentina, I just don't like/particularly rate them either.

Of all the European teams I'd prefer Germany to win it. Unless one of the others turns out to be so great that I can't object to them winning.

Failing that I'd hope Chile, Colombia, Ghana or USA to win the thing. I think that'd be great/hilarious.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
I'd be ok with a US win. Barring that I'm all for the romance of a team playing great attractive football winning. Enjoyed watching Columbia so far and a new winner would be nice.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is he really a true DM though? It's surely his secondary position at best.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not staying up for this match, really can't do with Murica doing well, and I'm not supporting Cristiano's Portugal.

reading a book seems a much better idea.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Is he really a true DM though? It's surely his secondary position at best.
Well he's played most of his football in the last year there. Schweni, Khedira and Kroos haven't.

It actually makes more sense for him to play there than at Bayern. Bayern are stacked with deeper midfielders, Germany aren't, and they still have competent full backs, Löw just doesn't play them.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Lahm never changes back to a full back tbh (at least not permanently). Not aged 30.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is largely the same for me, apart from the fact that I don't like Brazil, and don't "hate" Argentina, I just don't like/particularly rate them either.

Of all the European teams I'd prefer Germany to win it. Unless one of the others turns out to be so great that I can't object to them winning.

Failing that I'd hope Chile, Colombia, Ghana or USA to win the thing. I think that'd be great/hilarious.
Well I get a fair amount of money if France win so fully behind them.

Have never really had all that much affection for this German side like others do, like some of the players but they have never really done it for me. Chile or Colombia would be great winners but I would not object if it ends up being Messi's tournament.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bruno Alves is so cumbersome. Do Portugal really not have any better defenders than him? He's been pretty manky for as long as I can remember seeing him.