• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I just think that Sterling can do far more damage running at the heart of the Uruguayan defence than on the flank. If nothing else, they can foul him with impunity out wide - no yellow cards for 'little' trips etc when he's playing wide, and the resultant free kicks wouldn't be shooting opportunities. Harder to do that when he's running at their central defence. If nothing else, the free kicks would be more central.

I'd probably start with Lallana instead of Welbeck to provide more in front protection of the back four

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Welbeck provides plenty of cover defensively though.

I'd go for more or less the same team and setup as the other night. Would probably put in Lallana ahead of Rooney mind you.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, bad back and losing £60s I can't afford means I'm not owt, c'mon England.

I maybe one of the few glad we've kept the same xi.

Pothas

I don't think it is a bad selection at all, I don't think Rooney should start but it is by no means an easy decision to make. He is bound to be all that is talked about come the end of the game of course.

grecian

I don't think it is a bad selection at all, I don't think Rooney should start but it is by no means an easy decision to make. He is bound to be all that is talked about come the end of the game of course.
Yeah. Henry Winter tweeted this nonsense "This game could define Rooney's #eng career. Expected to play as a No 10. Stage set. 39 goals signals his class. A 40th would end any doubts". Yeah what if he scores in a 6-1 defeat and does nowt else in the match.

The hyperbole about Rooney reaching fever-pitch. People saying earlier in the thread about Shearer's retirement, now I don't much like people retiring prematurely from their country, yet when we lost 1-0 against Germany the last game at Wembley, I remember the vitriol from the 'papers aimed at him. The same 'papers that were praising him when he got the winner against the Germans in the Euros (first competitive win in god knows) and then were urging him to comeback after he retired.
'
It's the same with Rooney ATM, it reallt is **** or bust for him in the media's eyes, forgetting the other players on the pitch that may well make a difference one way or tother.

Pothas

Can someone explain how this is match is sudden death?

England could actually lose this and still go through.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
How deliberate was it that Tydlesley said of the match "it's not a beauty contest" just as we got a close up of Suarez?

grecian

Y'know I'm sure our consistent tactic of giving the ball away for no reason will work out at one tournament. I mean why else would we do it every ****ing time, with different players and different generations else.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Rooney's turn and hold up play has been turgid so far. Nothing is sticking and England has been under pressure with Uruguay pressing high.