• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E (Super 8) - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, England

99*

International Debutant
:-O

Amazing conclusion there Scaly. If I may, could you provide your thoughts as to why it's so quiet here right now.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Personally, I wasn't even up in time for the game, and have come straight to work. Looks like we were outplayed. Well done South Africa.

Quaggas

State Captain
Looks like Morkel took the game away from us.
Could have gone either way (say "T20"), despite the headlines. BTW, what's with cricinfo's " 'Slick' South Africa etc" heading vs England's "commanding victory?" The former sounds the weasel got away with it, whilst the latter was a Lord Nelson rout. I know the rodent innuendo is quite popular, particularly wrt Steyn, but come on....

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could have gone either way (say "T20"), despite the headlines. BTW, what's with cricinfo's " 'Slick' South Africa etc" heading vs England's "commanding victory?" The former sounds the weasel got away with it, whilst the latter was a Lord Nelson rout. I know the rodent innuendo is quite popular, particularly wrt Steyn, but come on....
Not really, 'slick' in that sense is a good term...

See here
7. Slang. wonderful; remarkable; first-rate.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt to Oram, no run, 136.2 kph, short and angling across Oram, who is happy to shoulder arms to that one

I am not sure NZ had the luxury of allowing batsman sighters at this stage of the game. Made no difference to the end state of the game I note.

GGG

State Captain
Pretty much out played by a better team. Would still like to see Mills come in for Southee for the next game.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yup. Hideous. Ajmal's worse tho for my money. It's the modern way...

Re Botha tho, as the testing bods have decided his throwsra exceeds the allotted tolerance limit, theoretically an ump could call him if he attempted one, couldn't he? Be a brave official to do it, but I'd applaud him.

live and let others live.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:love how dire a captain is Afridi proving to be.
Should have bowed Ajmal and Asif at Pietersen. Ajmal was simply the best bowler in the match. If Ajmal managed to get one or two more, cat might have been thrown among the pigeons.

If I was given a selection of bowlers, I would open with Ajmal against Kieswetter and Lumb,. Would have picked up both easily IMO. Captaincy from Afridi was dire

Xuhaib

International Coach
Should have bowed Ajmal and Asif at Pietersen. Ajmal was simply the best bowler in the match. If Ajmal managed to get one or two more, cat might have been thrown among the pigeons.

If I was given a selection of bowlers, I would open with Ajmal against Kieswetter and Lumb,. Would have picked up both easily IMO. Captaincy from Afridi was dire
giving Razzaq the new ball was random.Ajmal and Aamir had half their overs left when the game was almost gone and why was Ajmal still standing at mid on after the first drop?

captaincy was extreamly poor.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
giving Razzaq the new ball was random.Ajmal and Aamir had half their overs left when the game was almost gone and why was Ajmal still standing at mid on after the first drop?

I take my call back for Afridi being the Test and ODI capatain as well ... :ph34r:

Fusion

Global Moderator

Amen brother.

AaronK

State Regular
I think it is too early to call afridi a bad captain.. the fact that he is captaining a pakistani side.. he should get credit for that.. no one plays for the team in the pakistani squad.. everyone is trying for their individual performances.. there are players who are back stabing each other. . throwing matches, droping catches in purpose and missing run outs... the fact that he manages a team like this.. he deserve a credit for that..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to the NZ Pakistan game. Styris needs to step up the plate with a performance tonight.

I think management will be looking at his spot in the batting order - luckily he has been bowling well so he should be safe.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
partly hoping we get thumped today if it leads to Afirdi sacking as skipper also finding it difficult to support team which consistently selects duds like Sami,Misbah,Hafeez despite them being worse then donkey ****e.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I think it is too early to call afridi a bad captain.. the fact that he is captaining a pakistani side.. he should get credit for that.. no one plays for the team in the pakistani squad.. everyone is trying for their individual performances.. there are players who are back stabing each other. . throwing matches, droping catches in purpose and missing run outs... the fact that he manages a team like this.. he deserve a credit for that..
No its not too early, this was always going to happen. I always felt that for his sake, he shouldn't ever become captain. Pakistani fans adored and loved this guy for all his craziness, flamboyance and unpredictability but never his moments of mental genius... because he never had any. Captaincy was always going to expose him.

He is good when it comes to backing players and supporting them, but he was always always going to be a horrible tactician. He doesn't even see the basics on the field let alone having the capacity to implement any sort of plans.

Its one thing to have selfish individuals in the team and those who do not perform up to par, its another thing to implement bowling and fielding changes that are utter suicide. Forget the dropped catches, if it weren't for his ridiculously stupid decisions on the field, Pakistan would well have had a very good chance.

It would have been better if Afridi retired the Afridi of old, captaincy will go a long way in tarnishing his reputation and his insane adoration on the part of Paksitani fans.

GGG

State Captain
Looking forward to the NZ Pakistan game. Styris needs to step up the plate with a performance tonight.

I think management will be looking at his spot in the batting order - luckily he has been bowling well so he should be safe.
Hopkins in the weak link in my opinion, got a few runs v australia and thats all he has done, McCullum the gloves and Nicol a go plus Mills for Southee.

Ryder
McCullum
Guptil
Taylor
Nicol
Styris
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Mills
Bond

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, this tournament is the first real look I've had at Hopkins and looks short in both disciplines, IMHO. McCullum major wants to htfu and take the gloves.

Plus Hopkins's big shiny bald head creeps me out more than slightly. White guys with shaven heads and no compensatory facial hair = just no.