• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Ref

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Well the ref has been sent home now

Blundering English ref sent home

June 25, 2006

REFEREE Graham Poll has been red-carded for his deplorable handling of the Australia-Croatia match and will be sent home from the World Cup.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter called Englishman Poll's handling of the match "inexcusable".

However, he was taking a more measured line over the referee's Cup future after Australia's 2-2 draw in which Croatia defender Josip Simunic amazingly received three yellow cards before being sent off.

"Of course, we cannot excuse it but perhaps we should understand it," Blatter said.

"It simply should not have happened. We have had four officials and what is not understandable is that nobody intervened. I just can't understand it. There are people there and one of them should have intervened and run on to the field of play and said: 'Stop, stop'."

The British press went in boots and all.

London's The Sun labelled Poll the "world's dopiest ref" under a headline "Fool Poll's coming home".

With Australia saying they would have protested the result had they not reached the next round, Poll accepted that his World Cup was over.

The Premier League ref apologised for his failure to send off Simunic after a second yellow. He also missed two clear penalties in favour of the Socceroos.

After reviewing a DVD of the match, Poll said he erred in not sending off Simunic and wished other referees the best of luck.

Former World Cup ref Clive Thomas said Poll's performance was one of the worst in history.

"It was pretty grim," he told the Sun.

The Sunday Telegraph

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
pug said:
Brilliant pic, but honestly it appeared fair to me. And I was rooting for australia.
Are you ********? Schwarzer was collected by two Japanese players who had no sight for the ball at all.

age_master said:
Well the ref has been sent home now
Excellent. Inexcusable is right! The entire match was officiated terribly.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James90 said:
The entire match was officiated terribly.
Poll's performance was amazing compared to Mr. Ivanov's tonight...if he doesn't get sent home, it'll be a travesty.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
My morning paper declared 15 out of the 16 yellows to be correct decisions...
I thought pretty well the same. They were whining on ITV that the ref had made a rod for his own back, especially by booking two in the first five minutes, but with one of them (the assault on Cristiano Ronaldo) being probably worthy of a red card, what else could he do?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
luckyeddie said:
I thought pretty well the same. They were whining on ITV that the ref had made a rod for his own back, especially by booking two in the first five minutes, but with one of them (the assault on Cristiano Ronaldo) being probably worthy of a red card, what else could he do?
I agree with what you're saying in principle, but assault on Cristiano Ronaldo should never, ever be punished :laugh:

irfan

State Captain
Cloete said:
Who could forget the numerous hand balls from Simic?

That guy's off the planet. He wasn't even jumping, just raising his fist and guiding it into touch :laugh:
Dont mean to be picky but it was Stefan Thomas who was trying out for the centre-half back position with those spoils:)

Steulen

International Regular
GeraintIsMyHero said:
My morning paper declared 15 out of the 16 yellows to be correct decisions...
Most were definitely correct. I thought he got Boulahrouz's second (the elbow) wrong and there were two instances of not giving up the ball quickly enough (one of them the Deco sending off) that were plain childish to give a card for, but other than that the blame is with the players. Disgraceful behaviour. Some of them even got away with murder during a few brawls (Ooijer).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I agree with what you're saying in principle, but assault on Cristiano Ronaldo should never, ever be punished :laugh:
As I said at the time - personally I'd give the perpetrator a coconut.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I love the way when the europeans want a free kick they jump on the ball and pick it up... a few steps after any contact with another player.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing ********, fifa can get ****ed, i know they hate australia but this world cup has been ****ed they have cheated us out of a quarter final, we did well to get this far anyway...

James

Cricket Web Owner
Guys, for goodness sake, watch your language!

This is a final warning to the both of you before you will be issued with a seven day ban.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
alrite james, my mistake.. just being furious at the stuff FIFA puts out.. grrr i hate it :@

btw i didn't swear in that above matter.. its the filter's fault..
but get yur point..

Last edited: