• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Ref

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I knew you'd reply like that.

Obviously its stupid to assume they would have scored those goals, but its stupid to assume they wouldn't have as well. One decision can turn a game many different ways, so Australia being down 2-1 to Japan wouldn't have made it the end of Australia's WC.

Plus, if we were to be simplistic, Japan didn't deserve the first goal, so that cancels out the penalty. 3-0 :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
vic_orthdox said:
The thing that stings most about the decision, is that there was no "right of reply" as such. With the penalty being so late, it was such a death knell.
Yeah true. Australia's WC campaign didn't deserve to be ended with the image of Totti sucking his thumb.

If Totti was an AFL player and did that after he scored a goal he would have received some treatment, none of this jersey swapping rubbish :p

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Yes but wasn't it 2-1 or maybe even 1-1 when Cahill commited the foul? Would have made a huge difference at that point in the game, and it's stupid to assume that Australia would have still scored the same goals if the course of the game had been altered.
Poor argument. If you're going to bring a "what if?" into it over a dubious referee decision, then you can't conveniently overlook the small issue of Mark Schwarzer being obstructed in the box (which, funnily enough, the referee apologised for afterwards).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Robertinho said:
Poor argument. If you're going to bring a "what if?" into it over a dubious referee decision, then you can't conveniently overlook the small issue of Mark Schwarzer being obstructed in the box (which, funnily enough, the referee apologised for afterwards).
I wasn't really saying whether it should have been a penalty or not - I'm simply saying that Japan having a penalty would have affected the rest of the game so it's stupid to say it would still have been 3-2. If that theory worked, then there would be no point ever arguing about whether Hurst's second crossed the line, coz we scored one more after it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But I said that 'theory' in jest to counter Marc's argument that had Japan scored that goal, then without doubt Australia would not have qualified. For all we know they would have equalised, or for all we know they would have had to have beaten Crotia to qualify and would have played the game totally differently and won. Fact is assuming this and that is stupid.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jono said:
But I said that 'theory' in jest to counter Marc's argument that had Japan scored that goal, then without doubt Australia would not have qualified. For all we know they would have equalised, or for all we know they would have had to have beaten Crotia to qualify and would have played the game totally differently and won. Fact is assuming this and that is stupid.
Well I agree to be fair - so in theory that should end all discussion about whether or not it should have been a penalty for Italy. fact is it was, they scored, Aussies went out, be that as it may, that's football, the referee's decision is final, etc etc etc

Fact also is, if we didn't **** and moan about refereeing decisions, then half the fun of boards like this would be taken away :)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Jono said:
Australia's WC campaign didn't deserve to be ended with the image of Totti sucking his thumb.
That's pretty much my feelings towards this now. If I was a professional sportsman I'd have been life-banned by now, as I'd have shown him a new place to put his thumb. :p

Shounak

Banned
I think it's safe to assume that that particular ref was a ****ing ********..

To anyone who disagree's with me, **** you..

(thank god we have a filter in place, think of the children)