• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G: France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BoyBrumby said:
"The explosion of release at a goal is something no other sport does in the same way. In Australian Rules, a goal is a kiss on the lips, in football, it's an orgasm."
Simon Barnes of The Times on why scoring is uniquely important in the beautiful game
Great signature quote, just noticed it

Barney Rubble

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Worked good a few years back.
Henry barely played in '98, and in 2000 he wasn't the same player. He was a winger, playing at Juventus, and IIRC he wasn't a regular starter during Euro 2000. Ever since France have had Zidane and post-Wenger Henry in the same side, they've not been the same.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Barely kicked a ball however Henry still managed to be France’s joint leading goal scorer in 98. Irrespective of such a feat, France’s supposed downfall is far more complex* than the claim that Zidane and Henry do not work well together.

I think the most logical reason for France’s decline is the decline of it’s talisman Zidane. France’s failures of recent times can be traced back to the deterioration of arguably it’s finest player. Without him in 2002, they were hapless and when he did play in the third game (20% fit) he was easily the best player on show and was nearly able to achieve the impossible and bring the team back together again.

*Their was a fascinating documentary on recently (BBC2) which talked about the racial and cultural diversity Aimé Jacquet’s France had. And how they were seemingly able to put behind such differences and create a team unity, something which has been missing since 2000.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
France’s first World Cup goal since 1998 and Henry’s ninth in nineteen major competition games. Not a bad record and a decent statistic for the people who believe Henry is a big game bottler.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TT Boy said:
France’s first World Cup goal since 1998 and Henry’s ninth in nineteen major competition games. Not a bad record and a decent statistic for the people who believe Henry is a big game bottler.
So... which giants has chief poseur scored against then? I can recall him scoring against Switzerland I think (twice) in Euro 2004 and obviously the mighty South Korea today (shame he missed his second very good chance by falling over like a fairy).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TT Boy said:
I'm a huge fan of Terence (being a Gooner & a football fan who isn't blind or blinded by something), but, to play devil's advocate a bit, South Korea are the mediocre national equivalent of the Man Citys & Aston Villas of the Prem who he (so the cliche goes) bulks his record out with performances against.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'm a huge fan of Terence (being a Gooner & a football fan who isn't blind or blinded by something), but, to play devil's advocate a bit, South Korea are the mediocre national equivalent of the Man Citys & Aston Villas of the Prem who he (so the cliche goes) bulks his record out with performances against.
For sure but it is not Henry's fault that South Korea are 'crap' is it. Seems like he is damned if he does and damned if he does not.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
So... which giants has chief poseur scored against then? I can recall him scoring against Switzerland I think (twice) in Euro 2004 and obviously the mighty South Korea today (shame he missed his second very good chance by falling over like a fairy).
Which giants have France played against in major tournaments? I can only think of England. '02 they faced Uruguay, Denmark and Senegal, '04 it was England, Switzerland and Croatia, followed by Greece.

Scaly piscine

TT Boy said:
For sure but it is not Henry's fault that South Korea are crap is it. Seems like he is damned if he does and damned if he does not.
He hasn't done owt at the top level so how would you know?

Nothing more than a solid international player.

Anyways why do France insist on not putting more than 1-2 players in the danger area when they're attacking?.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
He hasn't done owt at the top level so how would you know?

Nothing more than a solid international player.

Anyways why do France insist on not putting more than 1-2 players in the danger area when they're attacking?.
No his done **** all really, has not scored Champions League trebles, never won much, never scores, never contributes for his club et cetera et cetera.

Scaly piscine

Nelson Muntz's catchphrase springs to mind.

All those who said Crouch was very poor (in England's last game) should say the same of chief poseur tonight, he had three one-on-ones and only scored one of them. Needless to say his heading wasn't up to much either but everyone expects that anyway.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hopefully France can still reach the last sixteen, Zidane deserves a better finish to his international career than a 1-1 draw with South Korea. At least the French have the money in the bag game with Togo to come, who I believe are attempting to boycott they last two games with the Swiss and French due to their money dispute.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Footballing larceny on a grand scale tonight, Brian. :p

The French have no one to blame but themselves (particularly that superannuated dwarf they still play in goal), in total command but fell for the old sucker punch.