• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Squad

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Ante Covic you would think would be the 3rd keeper unless he really stuffs up in the Asian Cup QF or a Friendly. ATM Brad Jones is about 6th in line, there are quite a few infront of him. But if he gets regular football at Boro that could change.

My Sqaud ATM:

GK: Mark Schwarzer, Zelko Kalac, Ante Covic
DF: Craig Moore, Lucus Neill, Ljubo Milicevic, Tony Vidmar, Tony Popovic, Michael Thwaite, Brett Emerton, Scott Chipperfield
MF: Harry Kewell, Tim Cahill, Marco Bresciano, Vince Grella, Jason Culina, Ahmad Elrich, Luke Wilkshire, Josip Skoko
FW: John Aloisi, Mark Viduka, Archie Thompson, Joel Griffiths
3 months on and I don't think much would have changed. That would still be the squad that I believe Hiddink will pick. Possibly Sterjovski, who has been in pretty good touch for Basle, ahead of Wilkshire. Guus though has tended to overlook the old stages like Sterjovski, Lazaridis, Agostino and Petkovic and I can't see it changing much.

Beauchamp, Ceccoli, Carney, McDonald would be the outside chances to get an all expenses paid trip to Germany!!!

Kewell, Schwarzer, Viduka, Cahill and Bresciano have all been in good form for their clubs. After the weekend Bresciano is the only one not injured :ph34r:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mansfield have been in Division Three for as long as i've supported them bar the one season :(

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
3 months on and I don't think much would have changed. That would still be the squad that I believe Hiddink will pick. Possibly Sterjovski, who has been in pretty good touch for Basle, ahead of Wilkshire. Guus though has tended to overlook the old stages like Sterjovski, Lazaridis, Agostino and Petkovic and I can't see it changing much.

Beauchamp, Ceccoli, Carney, McDonald would be the outside chances to get an all expenses paid trip to Germany!!!

Kewell, Schwarzer, Viduka, Cahill and Bresciano have all been in good form for their clubs. After the weekend Bresciano is the only one not injured :ph34r:
The injuries to some of the key players are a bit worrying, i hope they are all back by the time of the World Cup. Only Schwarzer looks like he could be out for while, the others guys shouldn't miss too many games if any hopefully.

I think Joel Griffiths, Michael Thwaite and Luke Wilkshire have next to no chance of making the squad now, maybe Wilkshire has a slight chance. Sterjovski is a must for the midfield spot, his been amazing for Basel. Holman or MacDonald are the favorites for the the 4th striker spot. Its probably a toss up between Lazaridus and Beauchamp, MacKain and Kisborbo are outside chances, but it would probably be one of those two.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Schwarzer's injury is apparently not that bad, hes got 7 weeks anyway, id say hes a certainty...

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
chaminda_00 said:
I think Joel Griffiths, Michael Thwaite and Luke Wilkshire have next to no chance of making the squad now, maybe Wilkshire has a slight chance. Sterjovski is a must for the midfield spot, his been amazing for Basel. Holman or MacDonald are the favorites for the the 4th striker spot.
Thwaite hasn't been playing but I still think they will take him as back up just because he can play right across the back 4.

I have no idea how Griffiths has gone for Leeds.

I don't know if they will bother taking a 4th striker personally. Hiddink only plays Viduka with Kewell/Bresciano/Cahill/Thompson/Elrich etc. playing off him. He doesn't like to play Viduka and Aloisi together, it doesn't fit into his system. He likes the one targetman (Viduka or Aloisi) with two pacey forwards, that can drop back into midfield, playing off him. Neither Holman or MacDonald fits into the system so Griffiths would still be there I reckon.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Great Birtannia said:
Thwaite hasn't been playing but I still think they will take him as back up just because he can play right across the back 4.

I don't know if they will bother taking a 4th striker personally. Hiddink only plays Viduka with Kewell/Bresciano/Cahill/Thompson/Elrich etc. playing off him. He doesn't like to play Viduka and Aloisi together, it doesn't fit into his system. He likes the one targetman (Viduka or Aloisi) with two pacey forwards, that can drop back into midfield, playing off him. Neither Holman or MacDonald fits into the system so Griffiths would still be there I reckon.
Griffiths hardly played any football at Leeds, a pretty poor move. Both Holman and MacDonald can play off strikers. Holman came on in the 2nd half against Baharin and played in the midfield. They can both play as attacking midfielders similar to Griffths.

Thwaite can play across the whole back 4, but so can Vidmar, i think they will go for a guy who has played regular recently.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Anyway, enough of this gay banter. I'm heading off for a few tears and a wallow in nostalgia as I watch 'The Baseball Ground - The Final Chapter' again. The day they tore the wonderful old ground down, a big part of me died.
I felt bad enough when they put seats in the Pop Side, there's no way I'm ever going back Shaftesbury way as I know what would happen, blub city.

Sorry for the derail chaps, carry on.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If he is out it will be a big loss, i think we will still take him and hope his fit by the later group matches or 2nd round :D. Probably Archie will get a run in the starting line up like he did in the 1st leg against Uruagay and Kewell or Culina move back to the midfield. We can probably find a way to deal with his loss, but it would be a lot better to have him on the field, his been in really good form.

Craig

World Traveller
Great Birtannia said:

Last I heard he was banished to the Romainian Third Division? Which must be as poor and low standard of football as you probably can get.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It seems Cahill will be fit, so we should go there with a full strength squad, even if one or two are carrying niggles, but find me a team that isnt :p

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Moyes is having a big whinge over Cahill's availability.

He is doing what you expect from the club's pov but he is still a ****. I can't stand him.

Schwarzer is going to be wearing a plastic mask for the UEFA Cup final.

I hope he comes through it alright.

So anyway how do you think we will line up against the Greeks in Melbourne?

--------------------Schwarzer---------------------

------Neill----------Moore--------Vidmar-------

-----------------------Grella-------------------------

Emerton-----------Culina--------Chipperfield

---------------------Bresciano--------------------

------------Viduka--------------Kewell----------

That would be my guess. Alternatively you could play Kewell on the left and Aloisi or Thompson upfront with Viduka although that would require Harry to track back and help out the defence and you don't really want to restrict him like that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Actually, all Moyes is saying is that the Aussie media are misguided in saying that he's back in training.

Which is perfectly fair, I think he'd know more about it than some hacks 10000 miles away...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Last I heard he was banished to the Romainian Third Division? Which must be as poor and low standard of football as you probably can get.
Apparently the owner of his team is a nightmare.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
marc71178 said:
Actually, all Moyes is saying is that the Aussie media are misguided in saying that he's back in training.
You missed the bit where he labelled the Australian medical team as "witch doctors"?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Great Birtannia said:
You missed the bit where he labelled the Australian medical team as "witch doctors"?
Well fair enough, since they haven't examined him, how can they diagnose him?