Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Did New Zealand Choke?

Banned
    I don't think New Zealand handled the big stage well at all. In particular, McCullum tried to hit out before he even hit the ball once with his bat. He had threee air-swings and then he was out. I understand he battled in the manner that got NZ to the Final, but I thought he should have at least made contact once or twice before trying that!

The middle order collapse was pretty terrible too. I don't think those deliveries were anything special. Faulkner's first wicket was nearly a wide. Admittedly it was an awesome slower ball, but it was a terrible shot.

I think South Africa would have handled the big stage better, mainly because they have the best player in the world.

But to say it was a choke when you clearly weren't remotely the best side on the side...? That's a bit harsh. If NZ played their best, they still would have lost convincingly. Even if they had Kevin Skinner punching people left and right, they still would have lost.

EDIT: Wow! I've been a member here at CW for nearly a decade now and I only have a little over 1,000 posts. Talk about being economical and saying only what needs to be said!
    Last edited by Francis; 29-03-2015 at 07:18 PM.
    CricAddict likes this.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    That's what McCullum has done this entire tournament come out. His entire strategy revolved around the first couple of balls being looseners, enabling him to put the bowler under the pump straight away. It came off last time we played against Australia, why would he get to the final then decide to change it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Banned
    I think you have to show a little more respect to Mitchell Stark than that. The chances of that coming off again were very slim indeed.

Take South Africa, my favourite team to watch in this tournament, New Zealand rattled them early. But Faf du Plessis anchored a great comeback. South Africa's run-rate was about 4 an over or a little above that when he got out. But he knew he couldn't do anything more than that against an on-fire Kiwi swing attack. Having got South Africa out of that situation, he got them into a situation where they probably would have scored about 330, before the rain ruined that aspiration.

I said it all week before the game, McCullum will go out in the first over. You can't play that style of cricket all the time and get away with it.

I mean, at the very least, shouldn't he have tried to make contact with the ball before tried to slog out? He has three air-swings, never got close to the ball, and threw away his wicket.

Anyway, I've said enough about McCullum.

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    I think you have to show a little more respect to Mitchell Stark than that. The chances of that coming off again were very slim indeed.

Take South Africa, my favourite team to watch in this tournament, New Zealand rattled them early. But Faf du Plessis anchored a great comeback. South Africa's run-rate was about 4 an over or a little above that when he got out. But he knew he couldn't do anything more than that against an on-fire Kiwi swing attack. Having got South Africa out of that situation, he got them into a situation where they probably would have scored about 330, before the rain ruined that aspiration.

I said it all week before the game, McCullum will go out in the first over. You can't play that style of cricket all the time and get away with it.

I mean, at the very least, shouldn't he have tried to make contact with the ball before tried to slog out? He has three air-swings, never got close to the ball, and threw away his wicket.

Anyway, I've said enough about McCullum.
    McCullum is just as likely to get out to Starc defending as attacking tbh. and he managed to smack him last time they came head to head, so he backed himself to do it again.
    OverratedSanity and Shri like this.

International 12th Man Victor Ian's Avatar
    NZ didn't choke. There were no chokes in this WC. Australia seem to be lucky in World cup finals. Too often, the other team, that has been on fire through a tournament, plays an unfortunately below par game when it counts most (Thinking Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and now New Zealand). Perhaps a best of three final might be nice.

Now.... How difficult did those shadows make things? I noticed New Zealand's fightback was derailed with that ugly shadow running right through the middle of the pitch. I was thinking that if such a shadow could be predicted, which it could, then they could have ideally stalled the drinks break to coincide and let that shadow pass. Does anyone have experience with batting through shadows?

People always love to assume some blokes weren't mentally strong enough for the game if they get out skilled. People looking for psychological reasons pisses me off to ridiculous levels these days.
    Prince EWS, anil1405 and Adders like this.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth, Moeen, Hales, Duckett, Hameed, Jennings | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post
    NZ didn't choke. There were no chokes in this WC. Australia seem to be lucky in World cup finals. Too often, the other team, that has been on fire through a tournament, plays an unfortunately below par game when it counts most (Thinking Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and now New Zealand). Perhaps a best of three final might be nice.

Now.... How difficult did those shadows make things? I noticed New Zealand's fightback was derailed with that ugly shadow running right through the middle of the pitch. I was thinking that if such a shadow could be predicted, which it could, then they could have ideally stalled the drinks break to coincide and let that shadow pass. Does anyone have experience with batting through shadows?
    I agree with this. Gives another chance to a team that has a rare bad day on the field. Also, more cricket

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Ian View Post

Do you seriously think that NZ would have a chance if it was a best of three, if they played again I think Australia would have won the second match even more easily. For three straight matches in the KO's Australia just kept getting better, NZ played well but they were no match for Australia who could have gone up another gear if conditions demanded.
    If you nick it walk

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Do you seriously think that NZ would have a chance if it was a best of three, if they played again I think Australia would have won the second match even more easily. For three straight matches in the KO's Australia just kept getting better, NZ played well but they were no match for Australia who could have gone up another gear if conditions demanded.
    i think NZ got blown away by Australia's bowlers.

Which can also happen to Australia.

So yet, NZ would have a chance in best of 3.

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    i think NZ got blown away by Australia's bowlers.

Which can also happen to Australia.

So yet, NZ would have a chance in best of 3.
    Who didn't get blown away by the Australian bowlers, and for the record it was the second time the Australian bowlers demolished the NZ batsmen.

Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Not sure why you'd expect Australia to win a third game more easily. Teams tend to adjust and bounce back to a degree after a spanking. NZ would be playing their second game in Australian conditions and would presumably be better equiped mentally for the occasion. The Australian bowlers & fielders were superb, how much would they improve on that performance? You'd like to think that in a second game the likes of Williamson & Guptill wouldn't get out to such soft dismissals. Unfortunately, NZ would likely be without Vettori who seemed to injure his achilles. I suspect Australia would probably win again, but the margin would close.

International Debutant
    I certainly think that they would have a better chance if they played in New Zealand.

International Regular
    Australia were so good they didn't even bother to play at 100% for a World Cup final.

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by RossTaylorsBox View Post
    Australia were so good they didn't even bother to play at 100% for a World Cup final.
    Didn't get the opportunity, how many runs do you think they would have amassed had they batted for 50 overs, 350, 370 or more.

International Regular

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information