• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did New Zealand Choke?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
People always love to assume some blokes weren't mentally strong enough for the game if they get out skilled. People looking for psychological reasons pisses me off to ridiculous levels these days.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ didn't choke. There were no chokes in this WC. Australia seem to be lucky in World cup finals. Too often, the other team, that has been on fire through a tournament, plays an unfortunately below par game when it counts most (Thinking Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and now New Zealand). Perhaps a best of three final might be nice.

Now.... How difficult did those shadows make things? I noticed New Zealand's fightback was derailed with that ugly shadow running right through the middle of the pitch. I was thinking that if such a shadow could be predicted, which it could, then they could have ideally stalled the drinks break to coincide and let that shadow pass. Does anyone have experience with batting through shadows?
I agree with this. Gives another chance to a team that has a rare bad day on the field. Also, more cricket :)

TNT

Banned
NZ didn't choke. There were no chokes in this WC. Australia seem to be lucky in World cup finals. Too often, the other team, that has been on fire through a tournament, plays an unfortunately below par game when it counts most (Thinking Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and now New Zealand). Perhaps a best of three final might be nice.

Now.... How difficult did those shadows make things? I noticed New Zealand's fightback was derailed with that ugly shadow running right through the middle of the pitch. I was thinking that if such a shadow could be predicted, which it could, then they could have ideally stalled the drinks break to coincide and let that shadow pass. Does anyone have experience with batting through shadows?
Do you seriously think that NZ would have a chance if it was a best of three, if they played again I think Australia would have won the second match even more easily. For three straight matches in the KO's Australia just kept getting better, NZ played well but they were no match for Australia who could have gone up another gear if conditions demanded.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Do you seriously think that NZ would have a chance if it was a best of three, if they played again I think Australia would have won the second match even more easily. For three straight matches in the KO's Australia just kept getting better, NZ played well but they were no match for Australia who could have gone up another gear if conditions demanded.
i think NZ got blown away by Australia's bowlers.

Which can also happen to Australia.

So yet, NZ would have a chance in best of 3.

TNT

Banned
i think NZ got blown away by Australia's bowlers.

Which can also happen to Australia.

So yet, NZ would have a chance in best of 3.
Who didn't get blown away by the Australian bowlers, and for the record it was the second time the Australian bowlers demolished the NZ batsmen.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Not sure why you'd expect Australia to win a third game more easily. Teams tend to adjust and bounce back to a degree after a spanking. NZ would be playing their second game in Australian conditions and would presumably be better equiped mentally for the occasion. The Australian bowlers & fielders were superb, how much would they improve on that performance? You'd like to think that in a second game the likes of Williamson & Guptill wouldn't get out to such soft dismissals. Unfortunately, NZ would likely be without Vettori who seemed to injure his achilles. I suspect Australia would probably win again, but the margin would close.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NZ did brilliantly to recover from that start to put themselves on top at 150/3. Collapse after that just as awful though.

Some disappointing dismissals too... Williamson, Guptill, Anderson all played weird shots.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
As a team? No. But our we choked on our icing a bit.
It's no surprising that the player who stood up - Hairy Jav - was all along the cushion between the cake and icing in this side.

(olllllllld school CWers to get this reference)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think it was a choke at all.

It's the hardest task in world cricket to go to Australia and beat the Aussies in their own backyard. I compare it to teams coming to New Zealand and playing the All Blacks. More often than not, the opposition go home with their tails between their legs.

Given the fact the pitch conditions were completely different to what NZ had experienced during the tournament, it was just a bridge too far for them. Overall, I think all NZ fans should be over the moon of how they team played throughout the World Cup and the way they conducted themselves as a group. You can't take anyway way from Australia as well. Mitchell Starc especially was just superb.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Chappell-Hadlee series is back on the table, and hopefully we'll see some great ODI and hopefully Test cricket between the two countries moving forward.
Well said. Let this be our answer. I have nothing to add. Especially the part about the pitch. I think that was a huge factor. Had the game been in Aotearoa then it would have been a better affair.

I think before the World Cup started I doubted we could beat Aussie in Aussie, but thought we could make the final. I really wanted India to win the semi as I knew we could potentially beat them in the final.

Debris

International 12th Man
I don't think it was a choke at all.

It's the hardest task in world cricket to go to Australia and beat the Aussies in their own backyard. I compare it to teams coming to New Zealand and playing the All Blacks. More often than not, the opposition go home with their tails between their legs.

Given the fact the pitch conditions were completely different to what NZ had experienced during the tournament, it was just a bridge too far for them. Overall, I think all NZ fans should be over the moon of how they team played throughout the World Cup and the way they conducted themselves as a group. You can't take anyway way from Australia as well. Mitchell Starc especially was just superb.

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Chappell-Hadlee series is back on the table, and hopefully we'll see some great ODI and hopefully Test cricket between the two countries moving forward.
Does Australia hold the Chappell-Hadlee trophy again?

Flem274*

123/5
I think we would have dicked India in the final Hurricane. Only one attack in the world has been able to maintain the class and intensity required to bowl us out cheap, and even then it took world class bowling from three or four blokes including some inspired spells to do it.

But we weren't playing India because they, like us, fell short. It happens. New Zealand had it in them to play better last night but even the smallest mistake against that bowling spells doom. Australia were too good.