• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viriya

International Captain
I hope NZ can make the adjustment of being the away team and still win this.. Would hate for Aus/Ind to get another.

Gob

International Coach
NZ weren't favourites on the betting sites for this game either. Which was weird - SA had lost to both India and Pakistan, both of whom had been thrashed by NZ in relatively recent times.

It's just a stronger team than India or Australia. IMO, of course.
Australia are comfortably better than New Zealand.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
In a way there's no possibility that this match could be as tense as tonight's semifinal. Going out at the semis for the 7th time would have been horrendously disappointing, and even if we lose the final I would still see this tournament as the one in which we gave the best account of ourselves.
The Aus vs NZ pool match was pretty tense from where I was watching. If it is an Aus vs NZ final, which is what I hope for and will most likely happen, I could see it being one of the best finals in WC history.

viriya

International Captain
The Aus vs NZ pool match was pretty tense from where I was watching. If it is an Aus vs NZ final, which is what I hope for and will most likely happen, I could see it being one of the best finals in WC history.
Actually Aus batting never showed up and NZ partly choked vs Starc. Aus have the mental edge there I think. Starc vs NZ batting will decide it imo.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
If India can upset Australia, which they have not been able to do all Summer, then NZ might have a chance in the final. If Aus is in the finals then there is really SFA chance of us winning. I don't say that to downplay our chances or anything. I'm just being realistic. Here are the reasons why:
1) The ball will not swing as much at the MCG - we've been dominant in this WC because the ball has swung for Southee and Boult in NZ conditions
2) Aussie pacemen will be more suited to the MCG bounce - no doubt the pitch will be tailored towards the tall bouncy quicks. We don't have similar bowlers.
3) NZ has not played in Australia for ages - that will be the killer blow for us as we haven't had any recent experience playing in Oz conditions.
4) The MCG crowd - 100000 Aussie fans screaming for NZ blood, nuff said.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do we stick with Henry? I've recorded the highlights on TV and will have a closer look later, but my impression from the stands was that he was superb early on before falling away a bit towards the end.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If India can upset Australia, which they have not been able to do all Summer, then NZ might have a chance in the final. If Aus is in the finals then there is really SFA chance of us winning. I don't say that to downplay our chances or anything. I'm just being realistic. Here are the reasons why:
1) The ball will not swing as much at the MCG - we've been dominant in this WC because the ball has swung for Southee and Boult in NZ conditions
2) Aussie pacemen will be more suited to the MCG bounce - no doubt the pitch will be tailored towards the tall bouncy quicks. We don't have similar bowlers.
3) NZ has not played in Australia for ages - that will be the killer blow for us as we haven't had any recent experience playing in Oz conditions.
4) The MCG crowd - 100000 Aussie fans screaming for NZ blood, nuff said.
1. Southee and Boult swing the ball everywhere. Maybe not as much as in NZ, but they'll still get swing.

2. NZ batsmen aren't Suresh Raina. There's been pace and bounce on NZ pitches.

3. It's still a cricket pitch.

4. Meh, half the crowd will be Indians anyway, and NZ tends to get the support of the neutrals.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Henry went pretty much exactly as I thought he would. OMR for the final imo.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Stick with Henry.

He was good early on then a bit poor later but he's still the most likely to get us wickets at the end of a Southee-Boult spell.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If NZ play and beat India in the final, they will have beaten every one of the quarterfinalists except Pakistan.

#corneredtigers etc