• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Likely quarter final match ups

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Barring some major upsets it looks like NZ will be top of pool A. India is also looking good to top Pool B but they still have WI and Ireland to play. I think Aus will finish second in Pool A and SA will most likely be second in Pool B. This is what I think will be the quarter match ups:

Pool A
1) NZ
2) Aus
3) SL/England
4) England/SL

Pool B
1) India
2) South Africa
3) WI
4) Pak/Ireland

What do you think?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think one tiny slip-up (or more rain) and my dream quarterfinal of Aussie vs. SA becomes a reality.

viriya

International Captain
SL would want to beat Aus so they can face Pak or WI in the quarters.. only way they can make the semis imo.

cnerd123

likes this
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/wor...-order-quater-finals-matchup-predictions.html

I'd back Ireland to beat Pak and England to beat BD.

And NZ to beat Aus.

Leading to

NZ vs Ireland
SA vs. Lanka
Aus vs WI
India vs England

NZ crush Ireland, India crush England, SA choke to SL, and WI have a crazy good day and knock out Aus.

Leaving us with

NZ vs Lanka
India vs. WI

Lanka and WI both get demolished, lead to NZ vs India in the final.

The Indian batsmen, lead by a Kohli 177*, demolish the NZ attack to set them a target of 340.

NZ, inspired by McCullum and the home crowd, put on a heroic chase, but India keep taking wickets. NZ attack, and MSD attacks back. Run rate is high throughout, but the highest individual score is Kane Williamson's 82.

A dramatic final few overs leads to NZ needing 9 off the final over to with 1 wicket in hand. Southee and Milne batting

With overs left from Mohit Sharma, Shami, and Ashwin, Dhoni instead turns to...Suresh Raina.

Milne takes a single, Southee takes a single, Milne swings and misses twice, and then gets another single.

6 to win. One ball. Another masterstroke from MSD?

Raina fires it in full and flat. Southee swings. Fantastic contact, the crack of the willow echoes around the ground, the but ball goes high, high into the air.

Kohli calls for the catch. This is his moment. His world cup. His chance to claim glory.

The runs, tracking the ball over his shoulder and it floats down to the Earth.

It looks like it might just clear the deep midwicket boundary.

Might

Kohli settles himself at the boundary. Heels on the rope. Arms ready to intercept the match-winning six. It looks like it might go over him. He gets ready to leap.

Southee looks on. He's hit a lot of sixes in his career. He'll hit a lot more before he's done. He'd trade them all in if it meant having just this one.

The MCG holds its breath.

Best. World. Cup. Ever.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
SL is in rip-roaring form. If they beat Australia then it could quite easily be an Oz/SA quarter!

howardj

International Coach
To win the World Cup, we (being Aus) will likely have to beat SA and NZ

However, I'd rather those games come a week later in the SF and Final, than in the QF and SF

For one thing, there's the chance that SA will continue their streak of never having won a WC knock-out game, and thus bow out in the QF before we have to meet them

For another thing, it means we will face NZ on our turf (doubt many of their players have played at packed MCG) rather than theirs

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

However, I'd rather those games come a week later in the SF and Final, than in the QF and SF

For one thing, there's the chance that SA will continue their streak of never having won a WC knock-out game, and thus bow out in the QF before we have to meet them

For another thing, it means we will face NZ on our turf (doubt many of their players have played at packed MCG) rather than theirs
More than you might suspect actually. Luke Ronchi must've played there plenty of times, and represented Aus in a T20 at the MCG in 2009. McCullum, Guptill, Elliot, Taylor, Southee and Vettori all played there in 2009 as well. I think Boult was in the squad for that series too, so he would've gotten a taste of the atmosphere at least. Although it's highly debatable whether a crowd of 30,000 would count as a "packed MCG".

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man

It is unlikely you will play both NZ and Sa unless it is the QF/SF route and in that case you will play nz at Eden Park again. Not the worst option for NZ tbh. Kind of hope it goes that way, ideally though for NZ maybe *****'s prediction with Southee hitting the 6.

biased indian

International Coach
QF
NZ vs IRE/WI

AUS vs PAK

SL VS SA

IND VS ENG

SF
NZ VS SA

ENG VS AUS

F
SA VS AUS

W
SA

Hope i got how they meet in SF correct

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
More than you might suspect actually. Luke Ronchi must've played there plenty of times, and represented Aus in a T20 at the MCG in 2009. McCullum, Guptill, Elliot, Taylor, Southee and Vettori all played there in 2009 as well. I think Boult was in the squad for that series too, so he would've gotten a taste of the atmosphere at least. Although it's highly debatable whether a crowd of 30,000 would count as a "packed MCG".
If it ain't 50k it's not even close to packed

My draw (it's highly improbable, I know. But it could happen):
Quarters:
NZ v WI (Baz v Gayle, and on the day the bowling attacks match up well. This day it goes to Gayle)
Aus v Pak (Aus batting takes it)
SL v SA (SA's bowling takes it)
Eng v India (Eng has their one surprise good game of the tournament, they always have one)
Semis:
Aus v Eng (Back to normal for Eng)
WI v SA (SA beats WI for the 5th time in a few months)
Final: SA v Aus
Winner: SA

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
To me the Aus-SL game is 50/50 and could vastly alter the tournament

Of the last 7 Australia - Sri Lanka ODIs at the SCG, SL have won 4, Aus 2 and one no result.

Of the last 3, it is 2-0 to SL with one no result.

It is the SCG, it is March and SL has perhaps the 2nd best top 6 (behind South Africa) and the best spin attack in the world - game on.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Apparently the result makes an Aus-India semi more likely than an Aus-SA semi. Read into that what you will.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Of the last 7 Australia - Sri Lanka ODIs at the SCG, SL have won 4, Aus 2 and one no result.

Of the last 3, it is 2-0 to SL with one no result.

It is the SCG, it is March and SL has perhaps the 2nd best top 6 (behind South Africa) and the best spin attack in the world - game on.
These stats surprise me - when I think of games between SL and Australia in Australia I think of massively one-sided contests in Australia's favour, but I guess Sydney must be the exception.

To me the Aus-SL game is 50/50 and could vastly alter the tournament
Nowhere near 50-50 imo, Australia huge favourites, though SL do at least have enough quality to win if they have a good day and Australia don't. Stands in contrast to Pakistan vs SA where I can't see this Pakistan side winning under any circumstances whatsoever. Australia could still finish third I think if their match in Hobart against Scotland is rained off and SL end with a better NRR (decided on NRR not head-to-head right?).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka have a very decent record against Australia in Australia in recent times, problem is the fast bowling has since regressed

GGG

State Captain
These stats surprise me - when I think of games between SL and Australia in Australia I think of massively one-sided contests in Australia's favour, but I guess Sydney must be the exception.

Nowhere near 50-50 imo, Australia huge favourites, though SL do at least have enough quality to win if they have a good day and Australia don't. Stands in contrast to Pakistan vs SA where I can't see this Pakistan side winning under any circumstances whatsoever. Australia could still finish third I think if their match in Hobart against Scotland is rained off and SL end with a better NRR (decided on NRR not head-to-head right?).
It is first head to head so if only two teams are on the same points then whoever won the game between the two go above, unless it has changed.