• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group finishing order and Quater finals matchup predictions

veganbob

U19 Captain
My predictions.
Group A.
1st NZ
2nd Aus
3rd Sl
4th Eng

Group B
1st Ind
2nd sa
3rd windies
4th pakistan

ireland and zimbabwe to just fall short .

So
Nz vs pak
Ind vs Eng
Aus vs wi
sa vs lanka

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I could see Ireland and Pakistan ending up on equal points tbh. And given Pakistan's NRR is currently atrocious (-2.2, compared to Ireland's +0.6), it could be really tight to see who progresses.

Ireland to beat WI, Zimbabwe, UAE. Lose to Pakistan, India, South Africa -- 6 points.
Pakistan to beat Ireland, UAE, Zimbabwe. Lose to India, WI, South Africa -- 6 points.

I also think Bangladesh's point against Australia could make them put some serious pressure on England for the fourth spot in Pool A. I reckon their match against each other would decide it, if all other results go as they should:

England to beat Scotland, Afghanistan. Lose to Australia, New Zealand, Sri Lanka -- 4 points + 2 vs. Bangadesh
Bangladesh to beat Scotland, Afghanistan. Lose to New Zealand, Sri Lanka. NR with Australia -- 5 points + 2 vs. England

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
A:
1. Australia
2. New Zealand
3. Sri Lanka
4. Bangladesh (pls)

B:
1. India
2. South Africa
3. West Indies
4. Ireland (pls)

QFs:
Australia vs. Ireland/Pakistan
New Zealand vs. West Indies
Sri Lanka vs. South Africa
Bangladesh/England vs. India

cnerd123

likes this
I'd back Ireland to beat Pak and England to beat BD.

And NZ to beat Aus.

Leading to

NZ vs Ireland
SA vs. Lanka
Aus vs WI
India vs England

NZ crush Ireland, India crush England, SA choke to SL, and WI have a crazy good day and knock out Aus.

Leaving us with

NZ vs Lanka
India vs. WI

Lanka and WI both get demolished, lead to NZ vs India in the final.

The Indian batsmen, lead by a Kohli 177*, demolish the NZ attack to set them a target of 340.

NZ, inspired by McCullum and the home crowd, put on a heroic chase, but India keep taking wickets. NZ attack, and MSD attacks back. Run rate is high throughout, but the highest individual score is Kane Williamson's 82.

A dramatic final few overs leads to NZ needing 9 off the final over to with 1 wicket in hand. Southee and Milne batting

With overs left from Mohit Sharma, Shami, and Ashwin, Dhoni instead turns to...Suresh Raina.

Milne takes a single, Southee takes a single, Milne swings and misses twice, and then gets another single.

6 to win. One ball. Another masterstroke from MSD?

Raina fires it in full and flat. Southee swings. Fantastic contact, the crack of the willow echoes around the ground, the but ball goes high, high into the air.

Kohli calls for the catch. This is his moment. His world cup. His chance to claim glory.

The runs, tracking the ball over his shoulder and it floats down to the Earth.

It looks like it might just clear the deep midwicket boundary.

Might

Kohli settles himself at the boundary. Heels on the rope. Arms ready to intercept the match-winning six. It looks like it might go over him. He gets ready to leap.

Southee looks on. He's hit a lot of sixes in his career. He'll hit a lot more before he's done. He'd trade them all in if it meant having just this one.

The MCG holds its breath.

Best. World. Cup. Ever.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Epilogue to that:
Camera fades into a hotel bedroom. A young man awakes to find Mayanti and Anushka asleep in each arm. On the bedside table sits the world cup. The camera turns to the cricket gear strewn across the room, and zooms in on an unexpectedly large groin protector. Written on the groin protector are the initials BDK.

The camera fades out of focus, leaving the audience with the feeling that all is right with the world.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
NZ, inspired by McCullum and the home crowd, put on a heroic chase, but India keep taking wickets. NZ attack, and MSD attacks back. Run rate is high throughout, but the highest individual score is Kane Williamson's 82.
Look, I could suspend my disbelief up until here, but this takes it too far.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If it is Ind vs. Eng, is it guaranteed to be at MCG? I remember reading somewhere that the grounds are guaranteed for certain teams.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd back Ireland to beat Pak and England to beat BD.

And NZ to beat Aus.

Leading to

NZ vs Ireland
SA vs. Lanka
Aus vs WI
India vs England

NZ crush Ireland, India crush England, SA choke to SL, and WI have a crazy good day and knock out Aus.

Leaving us with

NZ vs Lanka
India vs. WI

Lanka and WI both get demolished, lead to NZ vs India in the final.

The Indian batsmen, lead by a Kohli 177*, demolish the NZ attack to set them a target of 340.

A dramatic final few overs leads to NZ needing 9 off the final over to with 1 wicket in hand. Southee and Milne batting

With overs left from Mohit Sharma, Shami, and Ashwin, Dhoni instead turns to...Suresh Raina.

Milne takes a single, Southee takes a single, Milne swings and misses twice, and then gets another single.

6 to win. One ball. Another masterstroke from MSD?

Raina fires it in full and flat. Southee swings. Fantastic contact, the crack of the willow echoes around the ground, the but ball goes high, high into the air.

Kohli calls for the catch. This is his moment. His world cup. His chance to claim glory.

The runs, tracking the ball over his shoulder and it floats down to the Earth.

It looks like it might just clear the deep midwicket boundary.

Might

Kohli settles himself at the boundary. Heels on the rope. Arms ready to intercept the match-winning six. It looks like it might go over him. He gets ready to leap.

Southee looks on. He's hit a lot of sixes in his career. He'll hit a lot more before he's done. He'd trade them all in if it meant having just this one.

The MCG holds its breath.

Best. World. Cup. Ever.
Serious lack of dale steyn bopping mohammad shami over long on for six

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If it is Ind vs. Eng, is it guaranteed to be at MCG? I remember reading somewhere that the grounds are guaranteed for certain teams.
Yeah, we get through we are MCG. Messed up comp to be guaranteeing crap sides a venue before it starts.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Has the world cup always been this painfully slow moving? There is zero momentum to this sporting event. Why can't we have two matches every single day without fail. It's ridiculous Australia only plays one match every week, let alone a two week break (I know due to rain) between games. Speed the whole damn thing up!

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Has the world cup always been this painfully slow moving? There is zero momentum to this sporting event. Why can't we have two matches every single day without fail. It's ridiculous Australia only plays one match every week, let alone a two week break (I know due to rain) between games. Speed the whole damn thing up!
To milk as many match days as possible (of course they could do more if they have 1 match per each of weekend days unlike the 2 they have now).

cnerd123

likes this
Yea if you have overlapping matches you will have less viewership for each.

Also travelling and logistics is a pain.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
There are 11 venues for next WC as opposed to 14 we got now though I wonder if we will get a record number for 2023 one that India is hosting.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
There were 37 matches in 33 days in 1992.

49 matches in 44 days this time, with four extra knockout games that necessarily need to played on individual days.

Doesnt seem all that slower in comparison to me. Did the Television broadcasters have as much of a say in scheduling back then too?