• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chances of a 12 team tournament in 2019?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think the Aus/NZ WC is best suited to multiple games a day with minimal overlap, given the spread of time-zones from NZ to Perth.

Day game in NZ, followed by day game in Eastern Aus, followed by D/N in Perth etc.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
I think the Aus/NZ WC is best suited to multiple games a day with minimal overlap, given the spread of time-zones from NZ to Perth.

Day game in NZ, followed by day game in Eastern Aus, followed by D/N in Perth etc.
Gotta factor in viewing times of Asian (Indian) viewers.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Teja, I have heard this argument from PEWS also but I don't get it. While I love watching more games and a long drawn tournament does have its merits - it gives teams chance to come out from the dead like PakiStan in 92 and Australia in 99, tests resilience of teams - players from India and Windies are getting injured, I don't like it.

World Cups need to be tight, compact and can lead to focused attention. Not for the cricket tragics only. A longer tournament is not what I would identify with a world cup per say.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Regarding what is likely to happen for 2019 - don't think India will budge about having 9 games and non minnows most of the tournament. What is likely to happen is a WT20 kind of a scenario like last time. The minnows will be included but they will go through some qualifiers along with the lowest one or two ranked ODI teams to make the top 10 eventually. This is a really messy thing. Any thing less than 12 teams in the main tournament I would not be happy with after the performance of the minnows in this tournament.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding what is likely to happen for 2019 - don't think India will budge about having 9 games and non minnows most of the tournament. What is likely to happen is a WT20 kind of a scenario like last time. The minnows will be included but they will go through some qualifiers along with the lowest one or two ranked ODI teams to make the top 10 eventually. This is a really messy thing. Any thing less than 12 teams in the main tournament I would not be happy with after the performance of the minnows in this tournament.
That's the current situation. The problem is that the qualifying process is set 4 months before the main tournament and will be played in Bangladesh. Having the qualifying tournament changed to be set in England in the 2-weeks prior to the tournament proper would be a definite step in the right direction.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I can see that happening Bahnz maximum - that the qualifiers are shifted to England or maybe even Ireland maybe. I think we will have to accept a ten team main tournament.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Was it an Indian decision or a Big Three one? If anything, the BCCI love more knockout matches, and the current format is what they would have been in favour of, IMO. It's no coincidence that the Asian WCs had this format in '96 and '11.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think India would have played a large part in booting the minnows. India sees cricket as a product and lesser teams playing matches means less advertisement money and less of a 'product' on tv. When they can sell to the marketers that most of the games will be between big test playing nations rather than only a portion of it, they can make more moolah.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd agree with Furball in going to 16 teams, but have 2 matches every-day instead of with this tournament, you mostly just have 1 match per day. The event would probably last the same amount of days as it currently does if you did that.

Having never watched teams like Afghanistan play before, I've been really enjoying the minnow games. Would be a pretty silly decision for the ICC to stick to their original plan now.
I actually quite like the 14 team format as it gives the associates a lot of games. I'd maybe tweak it by having the group winners qualify directly for the semi finals and 2nd and 3rd play quarters to give the group games a bit more meaning but I think this is close to the best format.
Yea sounds good to me. 16 into two groups of 8. Group winners into semis and 2nd/3rd play quarter finals. Having two games a day hides some of the crap matches.

Ideally all teams in the same group should play their final match at the same time.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I've assumed so far that it was England behind the decision because

(a) the ECB come up with ****ty ideas (Exhibit A - proposal for 4 day Tests and 40 over ODIs)

(b) they're hosting the cup in '19.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Yea sounds good to me. 16 into two groups of 8. Group winners into semis and 2nd/3rd play quarter finals. Having two games a day hides some of the crap matches.

Ideally all teams in the same group should play their final match at the same time.
There would be much more games in 2 groups of 8 + Group winners into Semis & 2nd & 3rd into 1/4's format than the current format. Each group will have 28 matches, so 56 group matches which is 7 more than the entirety of current tournament. Then there 2 quarter finals and semi finals matches followed by 1 final. A total of 61 matches. Don't mind it but it would definitely require mostly 2 matches per day if the tournament is to held in same number of days as it is now done.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
If we have to have a ten team tournament then I think every team except for the hosts should have to qualify. You could make some good money by having two separate qualifying tournaments.

The problem with the current format is that you have a lot of games at the end which we all know mean nothing. That is when only playing 1 game per day becomes difficult to deal with. The other problem is that we play 42 pool games which lasts for ages and then only 7 knock out games. I like the idea that the group winners can go straight through to the semi finals.

Spark

Global Moderator
Read yesterday that Richardson said that the 2019 format was "not final". Paving the way for (another) backflip?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've assumed so far that it was England behind the decision because

(a) the ECB come up with ****ty ideas (Exhibit A - proposal for 4 day Tests and 40 over ODIs)

(b) they're hosting the cup in '19.
We do need a shorter tournament with it being Ashes summer. Maybe ten teams is too many

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
How about the top 8 teams, seeded by ODI rankings, no pool matches, just straight into the qfs. 7 matches and the tournament takes a week.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How about the top 8 teams, seeded by ODI rankings, no pool matches, just straight into the qfs. 7 matches and the tournament takes a week.
We tried that in 1998 and it turned out that SA actually do well in knockouts if they aren't preceded by a league stage.

The theory is that they need to be lulled into a false sense of complacency before hitting them with the business end.

What's the point of a WC if we can't share a laugh at their expense?

Spark

Global Moderator
Wimbledon in the first week has multiple games each day. Having more games per day would also solve the broadcaster's needs to make a million bucks out of every game and the issue with minnows being 'non marketeable', as it's put.

While one has a Federer playing, one can also have two lesser ranked players play in round 2 of Wimbledon. A tighter shorter tournament basically gives more space to have minnows in it.

If 3 games is too tight maybe 2 per day could possibly shorten the tournament to a month.

6 teams in a group and each team having 5 games ensures the groups are over in 16 or so days and then we can have the knock outs in the last two weeks.
this is a uniquely awful comparison