• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chances of a 12 team tournament in 2019?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't like 4 groups of 4, for the reason that I like the global, WORLD nature of world cups and like to see as many different teams play each other as (reasonably) possible.

The current format is close to perfect imo, only I like Furball's idea of direct semi qualification for the top teams in each pool. Right now, the NZ vs. Aussie match lacks a bit of spice as both teams will almost certainly take the top two spots anyway, which are pretty much as good as each other right now. Direct semi qualification would give this match an extra edge.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
4 groups of 4 gives way too little time for a recovery, a rained out match, or one bad game and suddenly you are out of the tournament.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
I like a 12 team tournament. Two groups of 6 each, with the top 8 going to the quarters. Have 3 games a day and finish it off in half the time, ffs.
Guessing you'll pay the loss in revenue from current and potential future earnings due to cutting match days.:ph34r:

smash84

The Tiger King
I like a 12 team tournament. Two groups of 6 each, with the top 8 going to the quarters. Have 3 games a day and finish it off in half the time, ffs.
definitely agree with finishing the world cup sooner. Its ****ing annoying that we are already 2 weeks into the world cup and we have another 4 weeks to go until the final. There are only 14 team. Trim the schdule damn it.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
definitely agree with finishing the world cup sooner. Its ****ing annoying that we are already 2 weeks into the world cup and we have another 4 weeks to go until the final. There are only 14 team. Trim the schdule damn it.
Definitely disagree with finishing the world cup sooner. I love the epic nature of a drawn-out tournament haha.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
I like 4 groups of 4, with top 2 from each proceeding to quarter finals.
Having 4 groups of 4 teams means we'll have too many matches involving associate nations and perhaps many one sided games too.It'd basically be WC 2007 all over again which is by far the worst world cup i've ever watched in any sport.
This current format is working alright imo.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
comes around once 4 years and y'all complaining it goes too long. we shorter it and we get more SL-India ODers

biased indian

International Coach
14 teams with super six the game count goes up by only 5(all will be more competitive)...and if we have more 2 game day's .tournament should easily be over in 40-42 days..with 54 games

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just have a group stages where the top two of each group go to the semis, making each group game friggin critical.

Done.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What I don't understand is that, when football can have a tournament in a month with 32 teams, so can other sports, why cricket has to want a 45 or so day tournament with just 12-14 teams. Have 2 games a day, or 3, or reorganise the groups to have less total games. Having so many games over such a long time is just taking very boring and tiresome.