• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Match - Afghanistan v Sri Lanka

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, the umpires decisions on LBWs removes about 20-30% of margin when you consider deliveries just clipping outside leg & off stump & of course on height.

Burgey

Anyone else reckon Stanikzai looks like Misbah? Expect him to make 96 in a losing cause

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
That is a classic example of why DRS as it's used in the modern game is not a good tool, if the ball would have hit the stumps then it should be out. This "umpires call" buisness is just a cop out to protect umpires, you either go all in with something like this or you don't do it at all.

Burgey

That is a classic example of why DRS as it's used in the modern game is not a good tool, if the ball would have hit the stumps then it should be out. This "umpires call" buisness is just a cop out to protect umpires, you either go all in with something like this or you don't do it at all.
One feels it has the current application merely to protect minnow nations, who are a blight on the WC and the game in general.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Well **** me, this shows the rank idiocy of the umpires call. If it hits it should be out. End of. That's KOing leg pole.

Been a solid effort here by Afghanistan so far, mind you. If they could cobble together 250 odd it might be interesting
Umpires call is a good rule imo, but the margin for error is too large at the moment for sure.

Zinzan

The argument against that is it is still a predictive measure from the point it hits the pad. I'm not sure if just merely clipping is good enough based on a predictive path, but that last one was more than just clipping, so tough to know what the next tweak should be.

anil1405

International Captain
Two spinners taking the ball away from the right handers.

And thats a good shot to get to his 50. Well played Asghar!!!

Zinzan

This is excellent progress, still can't see anything less than 310 troubling SL on this track against this attack.

Spark

Global Moderator
The absolute best way would be to have it based on the actual probability margin of error, based on both the point of impact and the "angle"/trajectory of impact, and then just have a threshold percentage above which you say you can overturn. But that's probably rather impractical.

I honestly don't mind the rule as current because it's at least very straightforward to apply. Like I've said many times, trying to impose ever finer levels of arbitrarily chosen detail on rarely works.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
The argument against that is it is still a predictive measure from the point it hits the pad. I'm not sure if just merely clipping is good enough based on a predictive path, but that last one was more than just clipping, so tough to know what the next tweak should be.
I hear your point I just feel if we take on something like technology we need to embrace it fully,I am also a a Tennis fan and hawkeye has been used there, the reasons it's successful is because even if the ball just clips the line according to hawkeye it's in there is no umpires call, the players seem to universally respect it and know where they stand, the same can't beat said for DRS IMO