• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India WC Thread

harry jolshan

Cricket Spectator
"Originally Posted by Aristotle:
Cricket is a game of the most terrifying stresses with more luck about it than any other game I know. They call it a team game, but in fact it is the loneliest game of all. "

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, don't think we should leave Dhawan out. He did well in the CT in England so it's not like he's sure to fail in these conditions. Coming off a very strong series against SL as well.

Leaving him out means we got to bring in Rayudu who gets bogged down easy by good bowling and tight fields. Knowing our bowling we'll be needing lots of runs and fast, which Dhawan offers.
On evidence of this tri-series, you will still be starting with Dhawan? I would honestly keep him out after seeing how he is going. Rahane did well as opener in the chances he got and performed well in these conditions in test series. I would have him open with Rohit.

cnerd123

likes this
Dhawan's issues are more mental than technical I reckon. He's a fidgety player. He can't stop himself from playing at balls he shouldn't be playing at. He can definitely score in these conditions, just needs to get his head on straight.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On evidence of this tri-series, you will still be starting with Dhawan? I would honestly keep him out after seeing how he is going. Rahane did well as opener in the chances he got and performed well in these conditions in test series. I would have him open with Rohit.
Yeah it's a bit of a headache now isn't it. I really really dislike the idea of Rayudu playing though so I'm still tempted to take the risk with Dhawan. Tough call though.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhawan's issues are more mental than technical I reckon. He's a fidgety player. He can't stop himself from playing at balls he shouldn't be playing at. He can definitely score in these conditions, just needs to get his head on straight.
I kind of disagree actually. Dhawan has a very odd sort of technique which can be both advantageous and disadvantageous depending on how the opposition bowler bowls to him. Dhawan is a player who bats mostly inside the line of the ball, his front foot doesn't stretch too much but he always plants it out. He never goes onto the backfoot at all and just replies on his fast hands to get through the ball on time which is why he always looks like someone who is going to get nicked off. If you don't have a backfoot game then you need to either be really good at leaving deliveries (which he's not atm).

cnerd123

likes this
Yea, that's true. He needs to leave well. He isn't doing that. I think that's more mental than technical. Because he has scored in tough conditions before. Just needs to apply himself.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
He left well in NZ tbf, but even then, I can't see him having significant success on pitches with bounce if he isn't going to transfer his weight onto the backfoot. In fact, transfering his weight onto the backfoot should improve his leaving the ball, instead of keeping his front foot plodded and playing inside the line of deliveries bowled at him (which he eventually ends up nicking).

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dhawan going in at number 4 not a bad idea, me thinks. Saves him from the swing, and if he can get going, then anything could happen. This also gets Kohli in at number 3, since Rayudu is probably not as useful below that.

cnerd123

likes this
Overreaction IMO. He's fine at 6/7, he just needs some decent batsmen around him in that lower order.

4-5-6-7-8 as Kohli-Ashwin-Raina-MSD-Jadeja should give him the balance they want. Can play 5 bowlers, Kohli at 4, and batting down till 8. You are risking Ashwin at 5 but he isn't going to go worse than Rayudu in that slot is he? With Dhawan/Rohit/Rahane in the top 3, you have a pretty stable batting lineup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Gavaskar thinks Ashwin should open.
Haha, a nice hat to throw in the ring with Ian "open with Binny" Chappell.

Rohit should open with either Rahane or Dhawan. No need to get funky with it when you've got three reasonable options IMO.