• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your New Zealand World Cup Squad if selected today...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nathan McCullum is unlucky, but this is a tournament in Australia/New Zealand. Respectable suffocation finger spin isn't going to be the decider in this tournament. Pace bowling will win the world cup.
There's a big danger of Vettori just coming up stiff and missing a game though. I think this is a much bigger danger than two fast bowlers being simultaneously injured short-term (remember that if anyone gets rubbed up entirely, they can be replaced in the squad). On this front I think McCullum makes a good squad member.. not so you can change the balance, but as a genuine reserve.

I actually agree with Zinzan that Watling's keeping shouldn't factor much but I'd pick him anyway as I think he's straight up the next best batsman.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well if Ronchi goes down he's probably not coming back for the rest of the tournament, and playing all your games in NZ means that BJ Watling might conveniently be on holiday in the same city when the injury occurs...

Are Munro or Devcich that much better options in ODI cricket as pure batsmen than Neesham? I'm struggling to think of anyone to take in as actual batting cover, unless they go back to Elliott or pick Watling in the squad (neither of which will happen).

Athlai

Not Terrible
30 Man Squad

Corey Anderson (Northern Knights)

Hamish Bennett (Canterbury)

Trent Boult (Northern Knights)

Doug Bracewell (Central Stags)

Neil Broom (Canterbury)

Dean Brownlie (Northern Knights)

Colin de Grandhomme (Auckland Aces)

Anton Devcich (Northern Knights)

Grant Elliott (Wellington Firebirds)

Andrew Ellis (Canterbury)

James Franklin (Wellington Firebirds)

Martin Guptill (Auckland Aces)

Matt Henry (Canterbury)

Roneel Hira (Canterbury)

Tom Latham (Canterbury)

Mitchell McClenaghan (Auckland Aces)

Brendon McCullum (Otago Volts)

Nathan McCullum (Otago Volts)

Kyle Mills (Auckland Aces)

Adam Milne (Central Stags)

Colin Munro (Auckland Aces)

James Neesham (Otago Volts)

Rob Nicol (Auckland Aces)

Luke Ronchi (Wellington Firebirds)

Hamish Rutherford (Otago Volts)

Tim Southee (Northern Knights)

Ross Taylor (Central Stags)

Daniel Vettori (Northern Knights)

BJ Watling (Northern Knights)

Kane Williamson (Northern Knights)

Black Caps name wider World Cup squad of 30 | Stuff.co.nz

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think I would've correctly guessed 28 of those; would've thought Sodhi or Santer ahead of Hira though, and Papps in for Broom.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hah, did a double take when I saw that Rob Nicol is apparently still in the mix. But I guess that's what happens when the extended world cup squad is big enough to include 1/2 of the domestic regulars in the country.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah it's a little disappointing for them to not give the nod to a few future players like Santner or Pollard. That said, I expect that if we lost 2-4+ players to injury in certain positions, these are the guys who would actually come in.

A boring squad is always a good sign that things are going alright.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think NZ have done the 'right' thing here and actually named their 30 most likely players to feature in the World Cup. Other teams' selectors tend to use this squad announcement as a way of sending a message to players, so they include young blokes they're keen to encourage in preparation for the following World Cup and exclude seasoned pros who would be their actual reserves for this one.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think NZ have done the 'right' thing here and actually named their 30 most likely players to feature in the World Cup. Other teams' selectors tend to use this squad announcement as a way of sending a message to players, so they include young blokes they're keen to encourage in preparation for the following World Cup and exclude seasoned pros who would be their actual reserves for this one.
Which my original thought was that the nod to young blokes would be the best way to do it, but I actually think in practicality it would be fairly arbitrary. As said above, Pollard and Santner wouldn't be the guys to come in, therefore aren't picked. And their time will come regardless of whether they appear on a 30-man sheet.

Despite the fact there's still 14 ODIs until the World Cup, you'd think the 15 is fairly well solidified (barring injury) - even if the XI probably isn't. I'd think of the 15 that are in Dubai, Brownlie misses out and Baz comes in, with (lord hope) Devcich out and Southee in.

Howsie, I'm interested as to why you think Boult is a dead-cert to make the World Cup squad - when using your barometer of Millsy as a non-wicket taker, your man hasn't ever snared more than 2. And doesn't have a particularly sharp or length List A career either

vandem

International 12th Man
Excellent column from Andrew Alderson today.

Cricket: Wicket blitz reopens an old problem - Cricket - NZ Herald News

Martin Guptill missed yesterday's match with a tight hamstring and Brendon McCullum has been rotated out of the series to keep him refreshed for a demanding summer. That pair will likely open for New Zealand at the tournament.

However, establishing an injury back-up option is a priority. Anton Devcich and Dean Brownlie have shown promise but that needs fulfilment in the coming weeks. Their fielding skills would also be a World Cup asset. Another option might be to use Tom Latham as a substitute opener, allowing a space in the squad for wicketkeeper-batsman BJ Watling whose value as a closer on the New Zealand 'A' tour to England last year warrants further inspection.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Our likely first XI at this point

Guptill
--------
Williamson (6)
Taylor
McCullum
Anderson (5)
Ronchi (+)
Vettori (4)
Mills (1)
Southee (2)
McClenenenen (3)

Our other opener spot contenders from our squad are Brownlie, Latham, Hira, Devcich, Rutherford, Watling, Nicol and potentially Neesham. I'd say from current form and how close they are to the team the main contenders are Latham, Devcich with Watling and Neesham as the dark horses. We could also potentially see Williamson or Baz open with Munro (or Neesham) entering the lower middle order.

Where are we leaning? How many domestic one dayers will be played before we have to decide? I think our squad of 15 should also include Neesham, NcCullum, Milne and if possible Henry. So how do we make room for the biggest gap in the team?

Either we leave out a bowler or we commit to Neesham as the cover for any batting form issue, whether that means he opens or someone else does is up in the air.

I know we're sick to death of hearing about Ryder but you have to admit, the big hole in the side is definitely Jesse shaped.

Flem274*

123/5
The Munro to open idea in the other thread was great. I don't think it will work but I really want to see it.

Michael Papps a bit stiff not to ever get another crack at ODIs. List A average over 40 and while I don't think he's the bees knees I've said before he should be there over Rutherford and bloody Devcich.

If Hira opens someone needs a reality check.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Options to open with guptil I wouldn't mind

Munro
Watling
Kane with Munro going three
Brownlie
Flynn

I am tempted to factor fielding into account as whoever we pick is probably going to be a fail including watling ( he won't get out but he will bat too slowly despite some of his a team heroics

Flem274*

123/5
Options to open with guptil I wouldn't mind

Munro
Watling
Kane with Munro going three
Brownlie
Flynn

I am tempted to factor fielding into account as whoever we pick is probably going to be a fail including watling ( he won't get out but he will bat too slowly despite some of his a team heroics
Watling being too slow for ODIs is a Hesson myth.

His strike rate on recall was fine, and it was probably held back too by him having to ressurrect the cbf elevens we were sending around during that time (lots of rested players iirc).

Days of Grace

International Captain
Wating and Guptill vs. a decent attack has 20/1 after 11 overs written all over it. You need an aggressive opener with Guptill. But I'm 50/50 as to whether McCullum should open or come in at no.5.

Alderson and Clever in the Herald today asking the question: Which bowlers will join Southee and Boult in the squad? As if Boult was already confirmed. Ah, no, he isn't.

Key World Cup questions: Who will open the batting? - Sport - NZ Herald News