Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching world cup games in a movie theatre

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar

Watching world cup games in a movie theatre

Anyone else been watching the games in a movie theatre? I did this for the first time today and it was a fantastic experience; HD video without ads on a massive screen; undoubtedly the best cricket viewing I have ever experienced. And of course it was great to share it with hundreds of Indian fans.

I use to do this all the time during WC matches. It was a fun experience watching it on the big screen. During the Pakistan/India matches, what I especially liked was the "Sharjah" style crowd experience. Meaning, half the crowd was for Pakistan and the other half for India. Eventually though, I started preferring the comforts of my house to watching it at the theater. I can lie down and stretch my legs at home if I wanted to. I donít have to worry about using public restrooms (am a germaphobe) and I like having my laptop nearby so I can surf the web if I want to.

You are right. Though the viewing experience was superb it did get a little loud and tiring and I had a bit of a headache towards the end. Still a great experience though and definitely something every cricket fan should try out sometime.

So far I've watched games from the following locations:

- The actual grounds
    - On a giant screen in a different grounds (CR grounds, good crowd in too)
    - From an invites only club (called Prive attached to the CR grounds)
    - From a nightclub (called Margarita Blue, not going back there because we forgot to pay the bill)
    - College Club (called OTSC)
    - A bar close to home
    - My usual drinking spot where you can bring in the booze without the corkage costs
    - Friends place
    - Office flat screen
    - At home on my couch

Been a good WC.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    They're showing matches in some cinemas in Lahore from what i hear.Not sure if would be the same experience here as other countries though.Most cinemas are strictly families only,which means that you have to 'behave' when you watch the match,and that loses the entire value for me.It's much more fun letting your language and emotions run wild,and you can't do that in the good cinemas because of the families only thing.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Lol @ Salman wearing a leather jacket and swearing at an old couple when Afridi gets caught out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Anyone else been watching the games in a movie theatre? I did this for the first time today and it was a fantastic experience; HD video without ads on a massive screen; undoubtedly the best cricket viewing I have ever experienced. And of course it was great to share it with hundreds of Indian fans.
    Where do you live? Would like to know if theaters in Chennai are doing this.

I watched the game at a PVR theatre in Bombay. I believe there is a PVR in Chennai as well so check out whether they are showing the semi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    I watched the game at a PVR theatre in Bombay. I believe there is a PVR in Chennai as well so check out whether they are showing the semi.
    Yeah, will do. Near my house too. PVR is about 20 minutes away from my place.

Wouldn't be able to handle it. Would be too frustrating not being able to yell "Munaf you are a ****ing **** ****"
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Wouldn't be able to handle it. Would be too frustrating not being able to yell "Munaf you are a ****ing **** ****"
    Anything goes in theaters in India. Shouting and profanity are frowned upon in theaters but it is generally ignored. So yes, I can call Munaf's mom a whore if I want to without anyone saying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Yeah, will do. Near my house too. PVR is about 20 minutes away from my place.
    Not doing it btw. Decided to set up a projector in my friend's mini theater(2000 sq.ft room with a 15 ft projection screen) . Will be having a **** load of beer on the 30th with about 15 close friends of mine while watching the game.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Try to get the HD channel if you can; it makes a huge difference on a big screen. And the feed in the theatre was completely ad-free, I don't know if it's possible for regular viewers to buy this feed but it's well worth it if you can.

Will inquire about this. Will be funny as **** when everyone swears at the ads though if the game is close.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Not doing it btw. Decided to set up a projector in my friend's mini theater(2000 sq.ft room with a 15 ft projection screen) . Will be having a **** load of beer on the 30th with about 15 close friends of mine while watching the game.
    Surprised you haven't photoshopped a burger/Coke/assorted food items into that Yuvraj picture in your avatar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information