• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watching world cup games in a movie theatre

Dissector

International Debutant
Anyone else been watching the games in a movie theatre? I did this for the first time today and it was a fantastic experience; HD video without ads on a massive screen; undoubtedly the best cricket viewing I have ever experienced. And of course it was great to share it with hundreds of Indian fans.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I use to do this all the time during WC matches. It was a fun experience watching it on the big screen. During the Pakistan/India matches, what I especially liked was the "Sharjah" style crowd experience. Meaning, half the crowd was for Pakistan and the other half for India. Eventually though, I started preferring the comforts of my house to watching it at the theater. I can lie down and stretch my legs at home if I wanted to. I don’t have to worry about using public restrooms (am a germaphobe) and I like having my laptop nearby so I can surf the web if I want to.

Dissector

International Debutant
You are right. Though the viewing experience was superb it did get a little loud and tiring and I had a bit of a headache towards the end. Still a great experience though and definitely something every cricket fan should try out sometime.

Himannv

International Coach
So far I've watched games from the following locations:

- The actual grounds
- On a giant screen in a different grounds (CR grounds, good crowd in too)
- From an invites only club (called Prive attached to the CR grounds)
- From a nightclub (called Margarita Blue, not going back there because we forgot to pay the bill)
- College Club (called OTSC)
- A bar close to home
- My usual drinking spot where you can bring in the booze without the corkage costs
- Friends place
- Office flat screen
- At home on my couch

Been a good WC.

salman85

International Debutant
They're showing matches in some cinemas in Lahore from what i hear.Not sure if would be the same experience here as other countries though.Most cinemas are strictly families only,which means that you have to 'behave' when you watch the match,and that loses the entire value for me.It's much more fun letting your language and emotions run wild,and you can't do that in the good cinemas because of the families only thing.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Anyone else been watching the games in a movie theatre? I did this for the first time today and it was a fantastic experience; HD video without ads on a massive screen; undoubtedly the best cricket viewing I have ever experienced. And of course it was great to share it with hundreds of Indian fans.
Where do you live? Would like to know if theaters in Chennai are doing this.

Dissector

International Debutant
I watched the game at a PVR theatre in Bombay. I believe there is a PVR in Chennai as well so check out whether they are showing the semi.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I watched the game at a PVR theatre in Bombay. I believe there is a PVR in Chennai as well so check out whether they are showing the semi.
Yeah, will do. Near my house too. PVR is about 20 minutes away from my place.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wouldn't be able to handle it. Would be too frustrating not being able to yell "Munaf you are a ****ing **** ****"

Shri

Mr. Glass
Wouldn't be able to handle it. Would be too frustrating not being able to yell "Munaf you are a ****ing **** ****"
Anything goes in theaters in India. Shouting and profanity are frowned upon in theaters but it is generally ignored. So yes, I can call Munaf's mom a whore if I want to without anyone saying anything.:p

Shri

Mr. Glass
Yeah, will do. Near my house too. PVR is about 20 minutes away from my place.
Not doing it btw. Decided to set up a projector in my friend's mini theater(2000 sq.ft room with a 15 ft projection screen) . Will be having a **** load of beer on the 30th with about 15 close friends of mine while watching the game.:D

Dissector

International Debutant
Sounds like a lot of fun. Try to get the HD channel if you can; it makes a huge difference on a big screen. And the feed in the theatre was completely ad-free, I don't know if it's possible for regular viewers to buy this feed but it's well worth it if you can.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Will inquire about this. Will be funny as **** when everyone swears at the ads though if the game is close.:laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not doing it btw. Decided to set up a projector in my friend's mini theater(2000 sq.ft room with a 15 ft projection screen) . Will be having a **** load of beer on the 30th with about 15 close friends of mine while watching the game.:D
Surprised you haven't photoshopped a burger/Coke/assorted food items into that Yuvraj picture in your avatar. :p

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In my college, India vs Pak in 2003 WC was screened on a huge screen in campus auditorium. Not exactly movie theater but that is what the auditorium was used for. And you can imagine the fun we had given India's performance that day. The best cricket match viewing experience ever in terms of environment in the hall and the quality of cricket.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In my college, India vs Pak in 2003 WC was screened on a huge screen in campus auditorium. Not exactly movie theater but that is what the auditorium was used for. And you can imagine the fun we had given India's performance that day. The best cricket match viewing experience ever in terms of environment in the hall and the quality of cricket.
Ditto here. :cool:

Watched the India vs. Australia Test series in 2001 in packed hostel TV rooms, was the most unforgettable cricket-watching experience of my lifetime.

Shri

Mr. Glass
My best experience was watching the 2007 T20 WC game against England in a pub. Will never forget the day when I emptied a bottle of scotch on one of my friends who had passed out at the table, when Yuvraj hit that 6th six off Broad.:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anything goes in theaters in India. Shouting and profanity are frowned upon in theaters but it is generally ignored. So yes, I can call Munaf's mom a whore if I want to without anyone saying anything.:p
Haha well in that case... :D