• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 1 - Pakistan v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

angad

U19 12th Man
According to CNN-IBN, Mirpur pitch now wears a green and grassy look, not surprising tbh, Bangladesh is already out. Not good for Pakistan.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Not good for West Indies either to be honest.
That is where you are wrong mate, Windies have traditionally and are still good against pace but struggle against spin! Gul will be a threat but this should go some way to negating the threat of Spin while Windies have two decent pacers themselves who can expose Pakistan's suspect middle order.

BeeGee

International Captain
Wouldn't subcontinent green favour the spinners more?
I'm certainly no expert on subcontinent pitches, but I would have thought that:
Green grass (alive) = seam movement
Brown grass (dead) = spin friendly

Here's the pitch report from CricInfo:
Pakistan v West Indies: Form book no guide in crunch contest | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Darren Sammy reckons the Dhaka wicket looks like "a cricket pitch", which is just as well really. Still, Bangladesh managed to make it look like a minefield on West Indies' last visit to the venue, as Sammy, Roach and Benn routed their opponents for 58 in 18.5 overs. There is some grass on the surface, but it ought to be full of runs, as Virender Sehwag demonstrated during his 175 in the opening match of the tournament. The weather is set to be humid, with some prospect of dew in the second innings.
Despite the grass they're calling it a batsman's track, so spin is probably the way to go, take the pace off the ball, make the batsman do the work.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I would like Pakistan to lose.
haha.......I like that...........

I'm certainly no expert on subcontinent pitches, but I would have thought that:
Green grass (alive) = seam movement
Brown grass (dead) = spin friendly

Here's the pitch report from CricInfo:
Pakistan v West Indies: Form book no guide in crunch contest | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

I think your assessment is correct. Not all grass makes the pitch a seamers paradise.

Despite the grass they're calling it a batsman's track, so spin is probably the way to go, take the pace off the ball, make the batsman do the work.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
West Indies to open the bowling with Benn again, because it has worked so well.

Sammy to play as designated captain. Won't bowl his full 10, won't score many runs. Integral player.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bad news........WI bat...........

Toss news: West Indies have chosen to bat.
Three changes for West Indies: Gayle, Chanderpaul and Roach come in for Edwards, Benn and Andre Russell
One change for Pakistan: Saeed Ajmal will come in for Rehman.
We shall squeeze in some reader comments here. The captain's quotes are below.
Tim: "Would have preferred to see Russell instead of Rampaul but other than that like both these teams. Glad Windies showed the guts to drop Benn, who has been very disappointing."
Farrukh: "good to see ajmal back in team...west indies dint inducted suleman benn in their attack...so roach,rampaul and bichoo would be their main weapons...but Pakistan have much better bowling then w indies...inshallah we will win...:)"
Mark Kidger: "It's nearly 2 years since the Windies beat a top-level opponent in an ODI. Pakistan are playing very impressive cricket, so all logic says that this should be one-sided, but will Pakistan have an off-day after their great win against Australia? Long winning and losing sequences always end some time!"
Tim: "Sammy should bat at 3 again. Worked against England and I think it would be the sort of thing Pakistan would hate. They like to strangle teams. It's hard to strangle six hitters."
Andrew: "At least one of the teams (Pakistan) have made the right decision (dropping Rehman for Ajmal), but what on earth are the Windies thinking? Benn has been one of the best spinners at the WC so far (12 wickets at a sub 20 average)!?"
Shishank Dahiya: "I think WI might have missed a trick here by not including Andre Russell.Ravi might have got wickets in the last match but i think Russell has done enough in the WC to guarantee a place."
Sammy: "We gonna have a bat. We have to put a good total and come back and defend it. We are much more comfortable in setting a total. The bowling line up can defend it. This is do or die quarter-final, We have all the people in the Caribbean waking up now. We hope to put an excellent performance."
Afridi: "Toss doesn't give any difference. We bowled first against Australia; we will carry on with the same attitude. All the boys know the importance of this competition. We are very positive and looking forward to this game. Rehman has done a great job so far but we are going in with Saaed Ajmal as they have couple of left-handers. I am going in with the same batting order; maybe Razzaq might go up the order. We are planning game by game. Alhamdulillah, we have done a great job so far."
Pitch report by Wasim Akram: "There is green grass and hint of moisture but team will bat first. The ball will keep slow and low in the second innings. so win toss and bat first

smash84

The Tiger King
Bad news........WI bat...........

Toss news: West Indies have chosen to bat.
Three changes for West Indies: Gayle, Chanderpaul and Roach come in for Edwards, Benn and Andre Russell
One change for Pakistan: Saeed Ajmal will come in for Rehman.
We shall squeeze in some reader comments here. The captain's quotes are below.
Tim: "Would have preferred to see Russell instead of Rampaul but other than that like both these teams. Glad Windies showed the guts to drop Benn, who has been very disappointing."
Farrukh: "good to see ajmal back in team...west indies dint inducted suleman benn in their attack...so roach,rampaul and bichoo would be their main weapons...but Pakistan have much better bowling then w indies...inshallah we will win...:)"
Mark Kidger: "It's nearly 2 years since the Windies beat a top-level opponent in an ODI. Pakistan are playing very impressive cricket, so all logic says that this should be one-sided, but will Pakistan have an off-day after their great win against Australia? Long winning and losing sequences always end some time!"
Tim: "Sammy should bat at 3 again. Worked against England and I think it would be the sort of thing Pakistan would hate. They like to strangle teams. It's hard to strangle six hitters."
Andrew: "At least one of the teams (Pakistan) have made the right decision (dropping Rehman for Ajmal), but what on earth are the Windies thinking? Benn has been one of the best spinners at the WC so far (12 wickets at a sub 20 average)!?"
Shishank Dahiya: "I think WI might have missed a trick here by not including Andre Russell.Ravi might have got wickets in the last match but i think Russell has done enough in the WC to guarantee a place."
Sammy: "We gonna have a bat. We have to put a good total and come back and defend it. We are much more comfortable in setting a total. The bowling line up can defend it. This is do or die quarter-final, We have all the people in the Caribbean waking up now. We hope to put an excellent performance."
Afridi: "Toss doesn't give any difference. We bowled first against Australia; we will carry on with the same attitude. All the boys know the importance of this competition. We are very positive and looking forward to this game. Rehman has done a great job so far but we are going in with Saaed Ajmal as they have couple of left-handers. I am going in with the same batting order; maybe Razzaq might go up the order. We are planning game by game. Alhamdulillah, we have done a great job so far."
Pitch report by Wasim Akram: "There is green grass and hint of moisture but team will bat first. The ball will keep slow and low in the second innings. so win toss and bat first

shivfan

Banned
West Indies to open the bowling with Benn again, because it has worked so well.

Sammy to play as designated captain. Won't bowl his full 10, won't score many runs. Integral player.
LOL!

Pakistan team
Mohammad Hafeez, Kamran Akmal†, Asad Shafiq, Younis Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq, Umar Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi*, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Saeed Ajmal
West Indies team
DS Smith, CH Gayle, RR Sarwan, DM Bravo, KA Pollard, DC Thomas†, DJG Sammy*, D Bishoo, R Rampaul, S Chanderpaul, KAJ Roach

At least they've brought back Shiv....

Sammy plays instead of Rusell. I hope he takes as many wickets as Russell did in previous matches....