• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sub cont sides have been soft

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Krezja looked a lot better once he started bowling like Krezja and not like Hauritz. Sidespinning drifters is not his go - overspinning turners are.
Bagai and Surkari was it? seemed to milk him quite easily for singles. Never looked like getting them out. It's only went Canada imploded with a series of unnecessary shots where Krejza picked up the wickets. He was decent and looked better than before, yes, but far from posing any danger.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think that we should wait for SL vs NZ, Pak vs Aus and Ind vs WI before making claims that the SC team have been soft.

They are going along fine - if they all go out in the quarters I think you can call them soft, but it wont happen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bagai and Surkari was it? seemed to milk him quite easily for singles. Never looked like getting them out. It's only went Canada imploded with a series of unnecessary shots where Krejza picked up the wickets. He was decent and looked better than before, yes, but far from posing any danger.
Nah once he started bowling over the wicket - which took far too long - he started to get a few to drop.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
and it was headless cricket by Pakistan that made it close.
Pakistan got in such a position because Chamara Silva decide to play for a draw. Otherwise SL have been fine.

I don't get your point anyway. There's a whole article on Cricinfo calling South Africa marshmallows, and New Zealand were absolutely pitiful vs. Australia. The definition of soft.

I don't see why you'd single out subcontinental teams as soft here.

The only major team that hasn't been soft at some point (i.e. weak) are Australia and Sri Lanka.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pakistan got in such a position because Chamara Silva decide to play for a draw. Otherwise SL have been fine.

I don't get your point anyway. There's a whole article on Cricinfo calling South Africa marshmallows, and New Zealand were absolutely pitiful vs. Australia. The definition of soft.

I don't see why you'd single out subcontinental teams as soft here.

The only major team that hasn't been soft at some point (i.e. weak) are Australia and Sri Lanka.
Pakistan was already on top when Chamara came in though Chamara did push the game beyond reach.

By soft I am not equating it to rubbish but just being unable to push the advantage.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well you're using it in a silly context.

SL lost a match in a World Cup against a pretty good team, and they're soft? They weren't in that big an advantage anyway. Good opening partnership but hardly game set and match.

Teams that have lost after being in a strong winning position:

India
South Africa
England

Himannv

International Coach
Dont think any of the teams have been particularly convincing but really that makes for a good world cup.

Australia - Spinners haven't been too penetrative with the ball and the pace bowlers tend to dish out rubbish on occasion. I think they rely on Lee to perform. As for their batting, very unconvincing. Ponting, Clarke, White and Hussey still haven't got enough runs to be considered "firing on all cylinders".

England - Going through all sorts of trouble which has made for some very entertaining games. They've been very unpredictable so far but it might be hard for them to even progress to the next round at the moment. Clearly not consistent.

India - They rely a lot on their batting but if they do fail to put the runs on the board, its clear that their bowling will struggle to defend it. Lacking at least two top bowlers to support Zaheer and Yuvraj at the moment.

New Zealand - Still dont have the strength of the other teams in this list despite fantastic performance from Southee and a few others. Some of their batsmen still have to come to the party.

Pakistan - As usual play brilliantly at times and collapse completely at times. Typical unpredictable stuff from them. Afridi and Gul have been fantastic for them though.

South Africa - Some of their main batsmen are still short on runs. Kallis and Smith are currently just not getting it right and it might cost them in the bigger games. Also we have to bring up the choke factor. None can screw up a win as much as them. Their bowlers have been among the best so far though.

Sri Lanka - Middle order still doesn't have runs and they will probably struggle if the top order does not fire. Batting is a big worry at the moment but their bowlers have been pretty good so far. If they are to win this, the bowlers will have to work their magic.

West Indies - Surprisingly one of the better performers here but the problem lies with their batting. They rely on too many key individuals to get them the runs. If some of them fail a collapse is easily on the cards. Their bowlers have done well though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ponting, Clarke, White and Hussey still haven't got enough runs to be considered "firing on all cylinders".
Hussey 54 off 40? Clarke scoring something on the order of 200 runs in two and a bit innings for once out?

Himannv

International Coach
Hussey 54 off 40? Clarke scoring something on the order of 200 runs in two and a bit innings for once out?
Hussey's just got back in the team and just played one game. Surely that can't be "firing on all cylinders". Will lean towards agreeing with you on Clarke though. Fair point that.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but grouping him with White and Ponting who can't buy a run misleads. Still, I would consider Hussey in form (as he usually is) until he shows otherwise.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well you're using it in a silly context.

SL lost a match in a World Cup against a pretty good team, and they're soft? They weren't in that big an advantage anyway. Good opening partnership but hardly game set and match.

Teams that have lost after being in a strong winning position:

India
South Africa
England
awta

Yeah but grouping him with White and Ponting who can't buy a run misleads. Still, I would consider Hussey in form (as he usually is) until he shows otherwise.
awta

Lostman

State Captain
Sri Lanka - Middle order still doesn't have runs and they will probably struggle if the top order does not fire. Batting is a big worry at the moment but their bowlers have been pretty good so far. If they are to win this, the bowlers will have to work their magic.
Yeah but this is what we expected. Everyone knew that the batting and especially the middle order sucked before the tournament started.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Especially when the middle order is filled with not the quickets btween wickets, but the quickets to the selectsuckers' sausages.