• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite Commentator of the 2011 world cup?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nasser by the country mile for me. It's refreshing that there's a comm who's intelligent, actually dissects play and field changes and isn't afraid to express an opinion without being a **** about it.

Athers fence sits a bit too often for me, which is probably partly why Nasser was twice the captain he was.

Honourable mentions to Pommie, Alan Wilkins, Ravi & Ramiz.

tooextracool

International Coach
Personally, Athers is my favorite because I can take every word that he says with merit. Not only does he provide excellent analysis but I find him quite interesting to listen to. Nasser definitely provides some great insight but there are times when his biases do come out- such as his pro-essex bias and I do think he tends to jump on the bandwagon a fair bit much like a lot of commentators.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, Athers is my favorite because I can take every word that he says with merit. Not only does he provide excellent analysis but I find him quite interesting to listen to. Nasser definitely provides some great insight but there are times when his biases do come out- such as his pro-essex bias and I do think he tends to jump on the bandwagon a fair bit much like a lot of commentators.
Personally I feel the opposite.. Athers tries too hard, waaaay too hard, to come across as this knowledgable unbiased guy and basically, for me, fails miserably. He does make good observations at times during play by play but that's about it. Nasser is just so so much better to listen to during a game and AFTER a game...

smash84

The Tiger King
Nasser by the country mile for me. It's refreshing that there's a comm who's intelligent, actually dissects play and field changes and isn't afraid to express an opinion without being a **** about it.

Athers fence sits a bit too often for me, which is probably partly why Nasser was twice the captain he was.

btw is Boycott a popular commentator in England?

smash84

The Tiger King
He's certainly respected for his acumen, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call him popular. Safer to say he divides opinion.
He is very popular in the sub continent. Most of the Pakistanis (who listen to English commentary) certainly love the man.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah I've always wondered why that is? I love the man (and so does everyone else in Yorkshire), but I've never understood why he is so loved in the sub-continent.

tooextracool

International Coach
Personally I feel the opposite.. Athers tries too hard, waaaay too hard, to come across as this knowledgable unbiased guy and basically, for me, fails miserably. He does make good observations at times during play by play but that's about it. Nasser is just so so much better to listen to during a game and AFTER a game...
Hmm, I do definitely see that. I read Athers autobiography and he tries really hard to put himself over both as a player (certainly seemed to put himself down as the most talented player of his age group) and a person which does come across as a little pompous. Nasser to me always seems to be a more humble, likable person.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Found Tom Moody pretty decent with his insights on the Subcontinental players especially.

Compared to the usual cross we often get here, he's been a big step up.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah I've always wondered why that is? I love the man (and so does everyone else in Yorkshire), but I've never understood why he is so loved in the sub-continent.
that is probably because he is a straight talking person. Doesn't mince any words regarding players and the match situations. Probably the most blunt commentator on the circuit.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
btw is Boycott a popular commentator in England?
Find him entertaining but he does get tiresome very quickly. He needs someone with him to bring the best out of him for which Aggers is perfect, Boycott bingo was a thing of genius.

smash84

The Tiger King
Find him entertaining but he does get tiresome very quickly. He needs someone with him to bring the best out of him for which Aggers is perfect, Boycott bingo was a thing of genius.
who is aggers?

And what is boycott bingo?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
who is aggers?

And what is boycott bingo?
Aggers is Jonathan Agnew, a former (very modest) England test bowler who's the main host on Test Match Special (TMS), BBC radio's beloved flagship of test coverage.

"Boycott Bingo" is game where you get a scorecard with a collection of Sir Geoffrey's favourite phrases ("corridor of uncertainty", "rooobish", "he could've played it wi' a stick of rooobarb", "shaaaat", etc) and mark them off when he uses them in the comm.

smash84

The Tiger King
e.

"Boycott Bingo" is game where you get a scorecard with a collection of Sir Geoffrey's favourite phrases ("corridor of uncertainty", "rooobish", "he could've played it wi' a stick of rooobarb", "shaaaat", etc) and mark them off when he uses them in the comm.
lol.....sounds great

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Forgot Bish. Invariably good value, the big fella.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Bumble is awesome but I find it hard to follow his accent at times. My fav is probably Ian Chappell, love his post/pre innings talks too.