• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 13 - Netherlands v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, a World Cup hattrick is a big deal.

Kemar Roach has introduced himself on the big stage.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Roach, wafg.
I called a hattrick pre-tournament and I called him being the top bowler today.
Wag.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Well done Roach! Regardless of the opposition, he's bowled very well. Well batted Cooper also.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
6-27, WAG. This guy is set for big things, the WI tour of SL was already a hint that he could bowl very effectively on the subcontinent which many pace bowlers fail to do. Will be a big star for sure.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I am not convinced that I agnew theory about England avoiding the basement battle after yesterday,

I still have the Windies to go through to the quarter and there is no reason why Bangladesh at home cant beat England!

Howe_zat

Audio File
I am not convinced that I agnew theory about England avoiding the basement battle after yesterday,

I still have the Windies to go through to the quarter and there is no reason why Bangladesh at home cant beat England!
I was worried about this before as England could lose to one of them and go out on NRR. Especially after the narrow win over the Netherlands.

The extra point against India means that's very unlikely now though. England would have to lose against both of them to go out. Possible but not at all likely.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I was worried about this before as England could lose to one of them and go out on NRR. Especially after the narrow win over the Netherlands.

The extra point against India means that's very unlikely now though. England would have to lose against both of them to go out. Possible but not at all likely.
What happens if Bangladesh v West Indies is rained out?

I think England losign to both is very possible Windies would be slight favourites against them and Desh a decent team at home!

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Bangladesh are still poor tbh. We'd have beaten them easily if they hadn't been at home, tells you all you need to know.

If England can milk the Indian spinners they won't have trouble with Bangladesh.

Also, this game basically shows you the difference batting first makes. The Netherlands had no choice but to go for it from ball one and against international attacks they are destined to crumble. I guarantee they'd have scored over 220 or so batting first.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
England will definately start as favourites against the West Indies.

The Windies haven't won an ODI series against a Test-playing opponent since April 2008. Since then England have beaten Australia, Pakistan, South Africa twice, Bangladesh twice and the West Indies twice.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
England will definately start as favourites against the West Indies.

The Windies haven't won an ODI series against a Test-playing opponent since April 2008. Since then England have beaten Australia, Pakistan, South Africa twice, Bangladesh twice and the West Indies twice.
A large reason for that was due to West Indies havign to field a 4th team around the world for a long period of time, the last 2 series between the 2 sides has been very close, and West Indies have a stronger ODI team IHMO than England, Roach will be a key player.

Having said all that Bravo not in does probably give some momentum back to England he affects the balance of the side.

Chawla was awful yesterday England did play Bhaji well, but lets not forget that India forgot to appeal twice, well as England played, it was a freak sort of run chase by England's standards look at their recent scores and chases, they played above themselves, I can see Bangladesh giving them a very tough match indeed.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Bangladesh are still poor tbh. We'd have beaten them easily if they hadn't been at home, tells you all you need to know.

If England can milk the Indian spinners they won't have trouble with Bangladesh.

Also, this game basically shows you the difference batting first makes. The Netherlands had no choice but to go for it from ball one and against international attacks they are destined to crumble. I guarantee they'd have scored over 220 or so batting first.
We will never know the answer to that now!

Sure there is pressure batitng 2nd against a big score, but it sometimes can coem off England had no choice, yesterday battign first I highly doubt they would have made 338

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain

Sure there is pressure batitng 2nd against a big score, but it sometimes can coem off England had no choice, yesterday battign first I highly doubt they would have made 338
England have the ability and international experience to do that, teams like the netherlands don't.

Jacknife

International Captain
What happens if Bangladesh v West Indies is rained out?

I think England losign to both is very possible Windies would be slight favourites against them and Desh a decent team at home!
WI won't be favorites against England and just because they beat a Dutch side, who were very poor today, doesn't change the fact they haven't won a one day series against any of the test nations in a long time.

Jacknife

International Captain

How do you work that out, if they can score it batting second ,they can certainly score more batting first and what's your point with all this, if England scenarios.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nice of Kieron to show up to the party for once.
And it only took him 34 ODIs and 4 years to finally turn up. Shame it was against no mark opposition. Still averages a healthy 18 runs against test playing nations with the bat.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Erm, that was 1 series, not 2 years.
It was 2009 the Windies last won against a Test playing team and that was against England when they lost a tight series 3-2

And it was not one series they were at 4th strign it was the rest of that season including the ICC Champions Trophy.

You make any team play with a 4th string unit and they will struggle as the Windies did.

Sure West Indies lost 5-0 to SA last year a poor result, although SA are on of the favourites here but if you look closer at that match, that series could easily have been 4-1 in the Windies favour.

They are a good ODI side and in these conditions it will be a very touch game for England to win.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It was 2009 the Windies last won against a Test playing team and that was against England when they lost a tight series 3-2
Right, but they still lost the series, which is what I said. I pointed out that they haven't won an ODI series against a Test-playing nation for nearly three years, while England have won serveral.

And it was not one series they were at 4th strign it was the rest of that season including the ICC Champions Trophy.

You make any team play with a 4th string unit and they will struggle as the Windies did.
Of course, which is why I'm not going to berate them for that season. But that series vs Bangladesh and the CT amounted to 6 matches in one season, which is not much considering we're talking about three years of performances.

(As an aside, I would hesitate to call that side 4th string, as it wasn't entirely different from the side playing now. Sammy, Smith, Roach, Thomas and Miller were all playing.)

Sure West Indies lost 5-0 to SA last year a poor result, although SA are on of the favourites here but if you look closer at that match, that series could easily have been 4-1 in the Windies favour.

They are a good ODI side and in these conditions it will be a very touch game for England to win.
You don't count "almost winning one match out of 5" as a good performance, and at the same time ignore England's winning streak over the same time period, which included a 2-1 series win in South Africa.

I think the Windies have a lot of talent in their side and are as good as anyone on their day, but evidently have performed as a team very rarely in the recent past. For that reason I would have England start the match as favourites, and by some distance.

Last edited: