Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best way of managing the World Cup threads

The best way of managing the World Cup threads

I'm interested in hearing members thoughts on the best way to handle the threads for the World Cup.

Does one thread for Group A and one thread for Group B followed by a thread for the Quarters, then a thread for the Semis and a thread for the Final sound ok or would you all prefer it done another way?

That sounds fine. Would perhaps suggest a thread for each semi-final though.

I've also been merging all the threads about team lineups, squads, first XIs etc into one thread for each team. We've had about 20 threads pop up about India's batting lineup.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 07-02-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Clearly we need a rotation policy
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'm interested in hearing members thoughts on the best way to handle the threads for the World Cup.

Does one thread for Group A and one thread for Group B followed by a thread for the Quarters, then a thread for the Semis and a thread for the Final sound ok or would you all prefer it done another way?
    James, In addition I would recommend a thread for each game when it starts. That way we don't have to search through humongous threads..

Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    James, In addition I would recommend a thread for each game when it starts. That way we don't have to search through humongous threads..
    Really don't think there's much need to have a thread on Canada v Kenya, though. Maybe we should split the semis and quarters up into match-by-match threads, but there's no need for this in the group stages IMO.

One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally. Perhaps we could have a thread for each match while those games are going (if they do indeed overlap) and then merge them back into the main group thread when they are over.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 07-02-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally. Perhaps we could a thread for each match while those games are going (if they do indeed overlap) and then merge them back into the main group thread when they are over.
    This. I think there should be separate threads for the games involving all the test playing teams though. Maybe then just one thread for matches between the minnows, like Canada v England or something.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally.
    Yeah, strongly agree with that. It'd be impossible to follow.

From looking at the schedule, I don't believe there are any games that over-lap, even on the days when there's two games. They start one after the other.

I tend to agree with Prince EWS that a separate thread for each group match is a bit un-necessary but if this is what most people want, I'm happy to see it done that way.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally. Perhaps we could have a thread for each match while those games are going (if they do indeed overlap) and then merge them back into the main group thread when they are over.
    A quick scan of the fixtures suggests that 2 matches from the same group on the same day happen twice (both times at 5 hour intervals) - Kenya vs NZ & SL vs Canada then Canada vs NZ & Australia vs Kenya.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    A quick scan of the fixtures suggests that 2 matches from the same group on the same day happen twice (both times at 5 hour intervals) - Kenya vs NZ & SL vs Canada then Canada vs NZ & Australia vs Kenya.
    Well, if I'm online at the time (dare say I will be), I'll create separate threads for them, and then merge them into the group thread when they're done.

Sound okay James?

Well, if I'm online at the time (dare say I will be), I'll create separate threads for them, and then merge them into the group thread when they're done.

Sound okay James?
    We could create them the day before for any discussion that people want to have couldn't we? Perhaps worth not merging them into the original thread so for history reasons, they're easy to read again at a later date.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    As long as there's no swear filter usage.

That's the main issue here.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    I'm on a Juventus forum.Overthere,there are two threads for live matches

a)One thread is aimed for all posters,where they discusess the live match as it goes on.
    b)The other thread is a commentary/analysis thread.It is limited to 2-3 posters every week,and all members on on the forum are allowed to have a chance at it every week.The commentary/analysis is given as the match goes on too.

So i suggest that a thread for live matches be opened.The ideal solution would be to open a subforum for live matches,but if that is too much of a hassle,you guys could designate a live thread to every match,or have a single live match thread,and keep on updating it for every new match.If you want to go into detial,you could put up another thread for the commentary/analysis bit where a few select posters provide commentary as the match goes on.

The live match thread could have a format that should be followed every time a match starts.i.e the first post by the moderator should include the team details,the lineups,the weather forecasts,and a bit of history between the teams.The next post after that can have other people coming in with their posts as the match goes on.

Individual threads for matches. Single threads for groups defeats the purpose of having a World Cup sub-forum, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information