• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best way of managing the World Cup threads

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm interested in hearing members thoughts on the best way to handle the threads for the World Cup.

Does one thread for Group A and one thread for Group B followed by a thread for the Quarters, then a thread for the Semis and a thread for the Final sound ok or would you all prefer it done another way?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That sounds fine. Would perhaps suggest a thread for each semi-final though.

I've also been merging all the threads about team lineups, squads, first XIs etc into one thread for each team. We've had about 20 threads pop up about India's batting lineup.

Last edited:

gvenkat

State Captain
I'm interested in hearing members thoughts on the best way to handle the threads for the World Cup.

Does one thread for Group A and one thread for Group B followed by a thread for the Quarters, then a thread for the Semis and a thread for the Final sound ok or would you all prefer it done another way?
James, In addition I would recommend a thread for each game when it starts. That way we don't have to search through humongous threads..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
James, In addition I would recommend a thread for each game when it starts. That way we don't have to search through humongous threads..
Really don't think there's much need to have a thread on Canada v Kenya, though. Maybe we should split the semis and quarters up into match-by-match threads, but there's no need for this in the group stages IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally. Perhaps we could have a thread for each match while those games are going (if they do indeed overlap) and then merge them back into the main group thread when they are over.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally. Perhaps we could a thread for each match while those games are going (if they do indeed overlap) and then merge them back into the main group thread when they are over.
This. I think there should be separate threads for the games involving all the test playing teams though. Maybe then just one thread for matches between the minnows, like Canada v England or something.

_Ed_

One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally.
Yeah, strongly agree with that. It'd be impossible to follow.

James

Cricket Web Owner
From looking at the schedule, I don't believe there are any games that over-lap, even on the days when there's two games. They start one after the other.

I tend to agree with Prince EWS that a separate thread for each group match is a bit un-necessary but if this is what most people want, I'm happy to see it done that way.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
One thing though - I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but are any games played at the same time, from the same group? I don't love the idea of simultaneous live match discussion of two games in one thread, personally. Perhaps we could have a thread for each match while those games are going (if they do indeed overlap) and then merge them back into the main group thread when they are over.
A quick scan of the fixtures suggests that 2 matches from the same group on the same day happen twice (both times at 5 hour intervals) - Kenya vs NZ & SL vs Canada then Canada vs NZ & Australia vs Kenya.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A quick scan of the fixtures suggests that 2 matches from the same group on the same day happen twice (both times at 5 hour intervals) - Kenya vs NZ & SL vs Canada then Canada vs NZ & Australia vs Kenya.
Well, if I'm online at the time (dare say I will be), I'll create separate threads for them, and then merge them into the group thread when they're done.

Sound okay James?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Well, if I'm online at the time (dare say I will be), I'll create separate threads for them, and then merge them into the group thread when they're done.

Sound okay James?
We could create them the day before for any discussion that people want to have couldn't we? Perhaps worth not merging them into the original thread so for history reasons, they're easy to read again at a later date.

salman85

International Debutant
I'm on a Juventus forum.Overthere,there are two threads for live matches

a)One thread is aimed for all posters,where they discusess the live match as it goes on.
b)The other thread is a commentary/analysis thread.It is limited to 2-3 posters every week,and all members on on the forum are allowed to have a chance at it every week.The commentary/analysis is given as the match goes on too.

So i suggest that a thread for live matches be opened.The ideal solution would be to open a subforum for live matches,but if that is too much of a hassle,you guys could designate a live thread to every match,or have a single live match thread,and keep on updating it for every new match.If you want to go into detial,you could put up another thread for the commentary/analysis bit where a few select posters provide commentary as the match goes on.

The live match thread could have a format that should be followed every time a match starts.i.e the first post by the moderator should include the team details,the lineups,the weather forecasts,and a bit of history between the teams.The next post after that can have other people coming in with their posts as the match goes on.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Individual threads for matches. Single threads for groups defeats the purpose of having a World Cup sub-forum, IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Individual threads for matches. Single threads for groups defeats the purpose of having a World Cup sub-forum, IMO.
I can support this from the quarters onwards (it means we'd have nine total live match discussion threads), but I definitely don't think the group matches all deserve separate threads, especially given the unwritten law that all match threads must be stuck. You'd have to go to Page 2 before hitting a thread that wasn't stuck.

vcs

I can support this from the quarters onwards (it means we'd have nine total live match discussion threads), but I definitely don't think the group matches all deserve separate threads, especially given the unwritten law that all match threads must be stuck. You'd have to go to Page 2 before hitting a thread that wasn't stuck.
Yeah, true.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I'm open to either way of doing it, but if we did go for a separate thread for each match, only the match-day threads could be sticked meaning only two threads sticked at any one time plus the threads we have sticked currently, Would that work?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I personally think a thread for the groups then individual match threads for all knockout games. If we have a 'quarters' thread, people will undoubtedly want to discuss team selection etc for their own QF and this will get a bit confusing when other games are going on.

In summary, I vote for whatever causes EWS the most work