• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Betting

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you're talking about online betting, I'd say they'd have that sort of info the help section of the site you intend to sign up for.

I'm not well versed enough in online betting to seriously recommend a site, though. Perhaps Jono or someone could help out.

Actually, speaking of that, TAB have changed their site a little since the last time I used it, so I might take this opportunity to switch to a different betting site myself.
I find bet365.com pretty easy to use and you can make bets during matches on obscure things like who will get out next etc. Only problem is, the odds never seem quite as good - regardless of which way you bet, which is a drawback obviously, even if its only marginal.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I find bet365.com pretty easy to use and you can make bets during matches on obscure things like who will get out next etc. Only problem is, the odds never seem quite as good - regardless of which way you bet, which is a drawback obviously, even if its only marginal.
Yeah I'm considering them. Anyone else have any good sites they use? I'd like to shop around a bit before I settle on one.

TAB were a bit disappointing in the end. Bet365 looks much better.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
:mellow: not only online betting but in general like how odds are arrived at and what does it imply? and how people place their bets based on the odds? am not aware of even the fundamentals dude :huh: :mellow:

thx anyways
Odds are the multiplier used in determining the value of a correct bet.

For example, if Australia are at 2.00 (with decimal odds) to win the WC, and you place a $10 wager on them, you'll recieve $20 as a return. If they're at 1.05 you'll recieve $10.50 (so you will effectively only win 50 cents), and if they are at 15.00 you'll recieve $150. There are other odds systems as well, but decimal is probably the simplest one to learn. Most places you can bet will have the odds available in all the major formats.

They're determined by the betting agency you use, so there's sometimes a bit of variation between one betting place and another. Obviously, the more likely a result is, the lower your potential return if you bet on it. If you bet on Glenn McGrath to top the runscoring in the WC you'd get huge odds, whereas Ricky Ponting would pay much less.

As far as how you place your bets goes, there's various ways to do that. If you're betting online, you'll need money in an online account (via credit card or on-site deposit or whatever), and you'll bet out of that, and be paid into it. There's a variety of sites you can use. If you bet face-to-face at a betting agency you'll usually just hand over the money for whatever you are betting on at the time, and there'll be someone there who can guide you through placing a bet.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually there's already a "World Cup Odds" thread here. Maybe a merge could be arranged? :)

Anyway, courtesy of the ever-faithful oddschecker here are the best available odds on the top runscorer:

Ponting 17/2
Graeme Smith 12.2/1
Tendulkar 17.4/1
Gayle 18/1
Kallis 18.5/1
Yousuf, Pietersen, Lara 22/1
Jayasuriya 23/1
Gilchrist 24/1
Sangakarra 25/1
Haddin (!!!) 26/1
de Villiers 27/1
Chanderpaul 31/1
Hussey, Ross Taylor, Ganguly 33/1
Fleming, Dravid 35/1
Younis Khan 39/1

Other notables are Collingwood @ 50/1, Michael Clarke & Inzi both @ 53/1 & 100/1 on Fred, Dhoni & McMillan.

Takes your pick, really. Jayasuriya @ 23s or Ganguly @ 33s could be the value bets if youn fancy Sri Lanka or India for the semis at least. Haddin @ 26s seems insanely tight tho with some of the other odds you can get. Once Gilly returns you wouldn't expect him to play in the latter stages.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea with teams playing two minnows you'd be looking for guys up the order. Seems like the more destructive, attacking players are favoured which seems a bit daft when it's about total runs scored - guess that's what punters go for. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being someone fairly staid like a Joyce or Bell that gets the most runs after just basically accumulating loads of runs without doing anything stupid and hardly ever being bowled out.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Australia haven't gone out much. Only 9/2 or £3.25.

Probably going to bunt some on Australia and couple of quid on SA too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Might put two bucks on Watson if he's going at 100+, given he'll probably open in every match now.

It'll most likely be a top three batsman who takes it. Quite like the look of Chanderpaul there, given his recent ODI form.