• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Favourite Obscure Selection

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
My all-time fav obscure selection was "the bank clerk who went to war" Northants' redoubtable David Steele. A 33 year-old with an FC average of 31, plucked from obscurity on a Tony Greig whim he defied Thomson & Lillee and then Roberts & Holding in successive summers.
i believe he was picked because he was custom made for those conditions, which was the slowest english pitches ever seen at the time, largely because he would almost every delivery just stick his front foot far forward and defend in an almost matthew hoggardesque manner.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Amay Khurasiya for the Indian tour of SL in 2001- No idea what HE had done then, but was picked as a hard-hitting replacement for Sachin Tendulkar. Give me a break...

C_C

International Captain
has to be wasim akram....

In those days, Pakistani batsmen used to practice against their bowlers as well as 'local' bowlers who just lined up to bowl....
This unknown dude comes up to Miandad near the peak of his power and beats him all ends up routinely...hitting him in the thigh and hips with his swing and pace....Miandad walked up to him, said that 'son, if you can make me play and miss routinely over after over, you deserve to play on the pakistan team'....and the rest..they say..is history... no FC experience, no coaching experience and debuts...goes on to become an alltime great.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Another masterstroke (or disasterstroke?) by the Indian selectors had David Johnson opening the bowling, only to go back on that by picking Salil Ankola.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
selecting hauritz over any bowler
I'm not a big fan of Hauritz or anything, but he bowled pretty well in that game, and got some important wickets. It wasn't exactly a disasterous pick.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not a big fan of Hauritz or anything, but he bowled pretty well in that game, and got some important wickets. It wasn't exactly a disasterous pick.
Hey, if Clarke can't get recognition for 6-9, Hauritz doesn't deserve anything. :p

C_C

International Captain
Hauritz bowled utter dungpile that game.
If he is Warne's replacement, God save OZ !

On an absolute minefield of a pitch where the ball was turning square, Hauritz got upended by everyone-spinners from both sides...and me thinks if you are having figures like 2-70 on a godsent pitch for spinners, you arnt a good spinner worth your salt. period.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
True. He's a prospect for the future - not quite mature enough (or good, for that matter) to be playing test cricket. Clarke's 6/9 are probably amongst the best figures a bowler could wish for, though they were pretty much too late/worthless.. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Hauritz bowled utter dungpile that game.
If he is Warne's replacement, God save OZ !

On an absolute minefield of a pitch where the ball was turning square, Hauritz got upended by everyone-spinners from both sides...and me thinks if you are having figures like 2-70 on a godsent pitch for spinners, you arnt a good spinner worth your salt. period.
He didn't shake the world, but he DID bowl quite well at times, with good flight and accuracy. Yes he got assistance from the pitch and no he didn't destroy India, but he wasn't rubbish.

Anyway, chances are he isn't the future for Australia in terms of spinners. Macgill is still around of course and will be for a while, and White is better than Hauritz by a decent amount, particularly when you take his batting into account. I'd rather see Cullen in the side than Hauritz as well, even on just one season of good form on flat wickets.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
though they were pretty much too late/worthless.. :p
I wouldn't really say that. India were 4/182 with a lead of 83 runs with Dravid and Kaif set at the crease...Clarke took 6/9 and they were bowled out for 205, setting Australia 107 to win. It SHOULD have been a match-winning bowling performance, it only wasn't because the batting fell apart. If it wasn't for Clarke Australia might well have been set 200 or more and had no chance at all.

howardj

International Coach
There have been a few obscure Test selections in the last few years. The standout for me is Shaun Young, 6th Test Ashes 1997. Honourable mentions: Gavin Robertson and Nathan Hauritz. Also, anything to do with Blocker Wilson in Australian colours!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
howardj said:
There have been a few obscure Test selections in the last few years. The standout for me is Shaun Young, 6th Test Ashes 1997. Honourable mentions: Gavin Robertson and Nathan Hauritz. Also, anything to do with Blocker Wilson in Australian colours!
Shaun Young was picked as a matter of convenience. He just happened to be nearby because of county cricket!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
masterblaster said:
Sachin Tendulkar at 16 back in 1989 really takes the cake.
No. It did not come as a surprise. It was being talked off for two years already !!

he was not taken earlier because he was too young and it was thought he may have psychological problems, not because he wasnt considered good enough !! :)

telsor

U19 12th Man
Mike Whitney.

Aus team on 1981 Ashes tour gets hit by illness and injury, and the find a guy playing in the Lancashire league and bring him into the team. Turned out to be a pretty decent quick.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tony Pigott anyone?

Holidaying in NZ he gets called into the England side owing to injures and has to postpone his wedding to play!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Well the guy does average 50 in FC cricket now, i think that justifies it to some excent.
How does his average now justify selecting him 9 years ago at the supposed age of 14?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
i think he was only picked for first class, not test cricket, at the age of 14. but if it is otherwise, i'm happy to stand corrected.