• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your countries worst XI this century

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aussie Not That Great 11 of the 21st Century with 10+ Chances to Not be Ordinary.

1. Cowan
2. Hughes
3. Watson
4. M Waugh
5. North
6. M Marsh
7. Wade
8. Lee
9. Hauritz
10. Siddle
11. Kasprowicz

Which tbf isn't diabolical, just very susceptible to getting absolutely flogged by good teams.
Very harsh on Siddle, Kasprowicz and Lee, but I guess that says a lot about how good Aussie sides were upto 2008 or so.

Was Hauritz really all that much worse than Lyon?

Burgey

Very harsh on Siddle, Kasprowicz and Lee, but I guess that says a lot about how good Aussie sides were upto 2008 or so.

Was Hauritz really all that much worse than Lyon?
Fmd you reckon it's harsh on them? Mark Waugh played over a hundred tests and averaged forty plus.

And yeah, Hauritz wasnt a bad bowler at all tbh. He just happened to come along at the height of this idea that the next spinner had to be as good as Warne or you discarded them.

Last edited:

vcs

Yeah, Mark Waugh obviously is in a different class from most of those guys. But he was definitely on the decline in this century, so I didn't mention him. Langer definitely improved the side after he replaced him.

morgieb

Yeah, Mark Waugh obviously is in a different class from most of those guys. But he was definitely on the decline in this century, so I didn't mention him. Langer definitely improved the side after he replaced him.
Was Lehmann. Langer was regularly in the side for like 4 years before Waugh retired.

Burgey

I see what you're saying. Slater could arguably open then. If we did a 90s version of this then I guess Hayden and Martyn would be in it, but it surely defeats the intended purpose of the thread.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ramps hit 961 runs @ 48 in 1998. Before that year he had been extremely scratchy in his 20 or so tests and it was meant to be his breakout year. He had finally arived as batsman.

Other than that amazing ashes ton in 2001 he didn't crack 70 in his final 20 odd tests from 1999 to 2002. So don't count the chickens before they hatch with Moeen, Ramps '98 was very similar to Moeen's 2016 runs and average wise

adub

International Captain
It's the 10 game minimum thing. Go back to 5 games and your Brackens and Bailers etc come in for players who had what you have to agree were pretty solid test careers.

And yeah I agree Haurie is unlucky. But with the 10 game qual he's up against MacGilla and Nafe, so...

Shri

Mr. Glass
PTSD WARNING:

A Mukund
A Chopra
M Kaif
S Raina
Y Singh
H Badani
S Dighe
I Pathan
S Binny
P Singh
J Unadkat

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Ramps hit 961 runs @ 48 in 1998. Before that year he had been extremely scratchy in his 20 or so tests and it was meant to be his breakout year. He had finally arived as batsman.

Other than that amazing ashes ton in 2001 he didn't crack 70 in his final 20 odd tests from 1999 to 2002. So don't count the chickens before they hatch with Moeen, Ramps '98 was very similar to Moeen's 2016 runs and average wise
Stokes, Bairstow and Moeen have all had far and away their best seasons with the bat. Test cricket has lots of players who've just had one good year. All 3 have mediocre records prior to 2016 and in the case of Bairstow very mediocre. The big thing for all 3 is to push on in to 2017.

vcs

Kaif was crap.

Yeah, Deep Dasgupta or Ajay Ratra or someone over Dighe, for Chennai 2001 alone.

anil1405

International Captain
Kaif was crap plus there weren't enough middle order batsmen during the last 16 years so he deserves a spot in this team.

vcs

Ohh... completely forgot about Nohit, he should be ahead of Yuvraj.

OverratedSanity

Like I literally opened this thread thinking 'Oh, finally an XI I can pick Rohit Sharma for!', and then I go see some **** included Mohammed Kaif in the team.

Nohit Sharma since test debut: 34 innings, 896 runs, 7 50s, 0 100s, Avg 28.90
Mohammed Kaif career: 22 innings, 624 runs, 3 50s, 1 100, Avg 32.84 <-- this including a matchwinning 50 and partnership with Parthiv Patel against Warne & Co at the peak of their powers in 2004

For shame.
lol isn't that the innings where he was runout after he started cramping up in the middle of a run and began stretching his leg mid-pitch instead of trying to get back in the crease? :laugh:

vcs

Not hating, he was an honest trier. But had no real ability. At all.

Even with his fielding, he used to put in so much effort.. but he was a very ordinary catcher.

Or his running between the wickets, where he used to scamper so hard. But still get run out all the time because he was poor at judging runs and communicating with his partners.

Last edited:

anil1405

International Captain
No one would be more keen to include Nohit in such teams more than me, but then his debut 177 came to my mind and the fact that he averages better than Kaif. Off course if you remove one or two of his centuries his stats look more mediocre than Kaif's original stats. But thats not how we pick teams for this thread, do we?