• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your countries worst XI this century

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Adam Lyth - 265 runs at 20.58
2. Ed Smith - 87 runs at 17.40
3. Ravi Bopara - 575 runs at 31.94, 1 wicket at 290
4. James Vince - 212 runs at 19.27
5. Usman Afzaal - 83 runs at 16.60
6. Samit Patel - 151 runs at 16.77, 7 wickets at 60.14
7. Geriant Jones - 960 runs at 26.66, endless dropped catches
8. Zafar Ansari - 49 runs at 9.80, 5 wickets at 55
9. Saj Mahmood - 20 wickets at 38.10
10. Boyd Rankin - 1 wicket at 81
11. Amjad Khan - 1 wicket at 122

Saj Mahmood probably doesn't deserve to be here given that he actually took some wickets but 10 years on I continue to be offended by his selection over Anderson
No Kerrigan?

What's going on here

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Kerrigan deserves a look in, surely? Could be a lucky break for Ansari. Agree that Mahmood is slightly hard done by here, but can't think of any obvious replacements right now.
Jimmy Ormond? Darren Pattinson?
Ian Blackwell (4.00, 0 wickets) is also a contender alongside Kerrigan and Ansari.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Anyone who has played since 1 Jan 2001 is eligible.

1. Rob Quiney
2. Matthew Elliott
3. Alex Doolan
4. George Bailey
5. Callum Ferguson
6. Nic Maddinson
7. Graham Manou
8. Xavier Doherty
9. Bryce McGain
10. Brad Williams
11. Shaun Tait
Pretty good effort. For mine I'm trying to avoid picking one-Test players as I think playing a dozen mediocre Tests is more damning than 1 bad Test.

1. Quiney
2. Cowan
3. Doolan
4. Bailey
5. North
6. Maddison
7. Maxwell
8. Wade
9. Doherty
10. Williams
11. Tait

SeamUp

International Coach
South African XI

1. Stiaan van Zyl
2. Imraan Khan
3. Boeta Dippenaar
4. Martin van Jaarsveld
5. Justin Kemp
6. Justin Ontong
7. Dane Vilas
8. Rory Kleinveldt
9. Steve Elworthy
10. Dewald Pretorius
11. Lonwabo Tsotsobe
Not too far wrong. 49 debutants for SA since then

Would probably try and find room for Thami Tsolekile , Ryan McLaren and Charl Willoughby possibly.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A lot of these are selections where players have come in for a handful of Tests, been rubbish, and swiftly dumped.

I challenge anyone to come up with an XI of players who were persisted with for a reasonable length of time despite being really mediocre. Shane Watson and Martin Guptill immediately strike me as being the two best examples of what I'm looking for, although they're quite rare.

Bopara for England a decent fit.

Gogogo

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South African XI

1. Stiaan van Zyl
2. Imraan Khan
3. Boeta Dippenaar
4. Martin van Jaarsveld
5. Justin Kemp
6. Justin Ontong
7. Dane Vilas
8. Rory Kleinveldt
9. Steve Elworthy
10. Dewald Pretorius
11. Lonwabo Tsotsobe
Poor old Elworthy. I recall Steve Waugh slog sweeping him in that crazy ton he made in the Super 6s or whatever it was in the 99 WC. He sledged him too, I remember him at the non-strikers just boring it up elworthy. Then next time he got on strike getting down on one knee a few times and pumping him the distance over midwicket.

Fmd it was a great hundred.

anil1405

International Captain
Not too far wrong. 49 debutants for SA since then

Would probably try and find room for Thami Tsolekile , Ryan McLaren and Charl Willoughby possibly.
Ah yea. Didn't realize Tsolekile and Willoughby played test cricket. They should be the first names on team sheet for this thread.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A lot of these are selections where players have come in for a handful of Tests, been rubbish, and swiftly dumped.

I challenge anyone to come up with an XI of players who were persisted with for a reasonable length of time despite being really mediocre. Shane Watson and Martin Guptill immediately strike me as being the two best examples of what I'm looking for, although they're quite rare.

Gogogo
Suresh Raina

We win :)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't we once drop vvs for one of Raina/Yuvraj? Pretty sure it was some time in 08 or 09. That was pretty dumb.

SeamUp

International Coach
Poor old Elworthy. I recall Steve Waugh slog sweeping him in that crazy ton he made in the Super 6s or whatever it was in the 99 WC. He sledged him too, I remember him at the non-strikers just boring it up elworthy. Then next time he got on strike getting down on one knee a few times and pumping him the distance over midwicket.

Fmd it was a great hundred.
Didn't Elworthy get a couple of early strikes ? Then Boje got a run-out.

Then S.Waugh took control and I remember that shot.

But tbf to the Rhodesian Elworthy - he had a decent international career coming in so late.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ah yea. Didn't realize Tsolekile and Willoughby played test cricket. They should be the first names on team sheet for this thread.
I think all 3 of Dewald Pretorius, Charl Willoughby and Thami Tsolekile were on the same tour to England once. :laugh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Gogogo
Salisbury played more Tests than Ravi Bop

listento_me

U19 Captain
I've just realised a lot of England's worst XI players would come from a time in the mid to late 90s and early 00s, who were all talented but never persevered with like latter day players have been (Bell springs to mind as someone who was a good bat with a lot of media backing and given an extended run in the test side, even when he wasn't doing so well). The ECBs selection policy and ideology really has improved in the last 10 years.

anil1405

International Captain
I think all 3 of Dewald Pretorius, Charl Willoughby and Thami Tsolekile were on the same tour to England once. :laugh:
Willoughby and Pretorius did play in a test match together in England in 2003.

On another note, can't believe Proteas actually won a test match with this bowling unit. Must be the time when Kallis was at his peak with the ball.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pretty good effort. For mine I'm trying to avoid picking one-Test players as I think playing a dozen mediocre Tests is more damning than 1 bad Test.

1. Quiney
2. Cowan
3. Doolan
4. Bailey
5. North
6. Maddison
7. Maxwell
8. Wade
9. Doherty
10. Williams
11. Tait
I nearly went with your philosophy but felt the performances of Elliott, McGain and Maddinson so far warranted selection.

Manou was a difficult decision as his keeping was quality it was just that he wasnt very good with the bat.

Your selection of Marcus North is an interesting one as I think he had an OK career. Some great hundreds, caught well and took some important wickets.

Good to see so many pick Tait and Williams. It is weird to think that Tait is still only 33.