• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You were WRONG on the Polls !

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Missed this one earlier!
They won it & it was close as expected.
Expected by whom. All the Indian fans on here are always saying how brilliant a team they are, yet it was expected to be a close game with Zimbabwe?!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Okay to mess things up....lets do this...the winner of the England Vs India match will get a an all expense paid (our patience of course :)) 'crowing' tour of this site for...well a week?

Thats that no crowing..!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The thing is, only one side would crow, as shown several times recently when they put in a decent day's play.

We English accept the fact that we're not the bet in the World, but we're as good as or beter than most.

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
[

No, the last series between England and India was in early 2002 in India. It finished 3 games apiece, which where I come from is known as a DRAW! [/quote]

Yeah and after that India played in a onedayer tour in England which was won by India,the losers were the English team
:D

"All the Indian fans on here are always saying how brilliant a team they are, yet it was expected to be a close game with Zimbabwe?!"

jeez,Evan Aus had a close game against Kenya a few weeks back,by urJudgement Aus must be an ordinary team!

"We English accept the fact that we're not the bet in the World, but we're as good as or beter than most."

LOL!I take it as a joke,not sure though as to weather Nasir would have enjoed it!

We English accept the fact that we're not the bet in the World, but we're as good as or beter than most.

Is this some kind of a joke?? England is better than MOST? and the most Includes which teams??

Aus,SA,Pak,NZ and India are all better than England.SL(playing with Murali) is better too.England is at par with WI and the only team that appears to be weaker than England is Zimb/Bang/Kenya!

So get ur facts right, England is a decent test team but in Onedayers they are pathetic, agreed that they have improved somewhat BUT they are simply not good enough!

Is this some kind of a joke?? England is better than MOST? and the most Includes which teams??

Aus,SA,Pak,NZ and India are all better than England.SL(playing with Murali) is better too.England is at par with WI and the only team that appears to be weaker than England is Zimb/Bang/Kenya!

So get ur facts right, England is a decent test team but in Onedayers they are pathetic, agreed that they have improved somewhat BUT they are simply not good enough!

nehrafan

Banned
This gotta be the joke of the century, lemme provide u guys some stats.

England onedayer sucess rate in the last 10 onedayers against different teams!

Against AUS :20%
against SA: 20%
Against Pak: 30%
Against SL: 40%
Against Ind: 44%
Against WI :44%
Against NZ: 45%
Against Zimb:90%
Against Bang:100%

Its obvious that the only team against which England have an impressive record are zimb and Bang.

Hope u guys got the picture

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
OK, so you have used crickinfo's statserver. You should specify how you are defining success rate when you throw in stats like that. crickinfo is not a Cricket 101 for some of us..

That stat can be looked at like this: your 44% vs India translates to 4 wins, 5 losses, and 1 no result. There is no way of knowing what the tenth (result) match will place the two teams wrt each other. And so on..

Throw in stats if you must, but specifying what definitions/ forumulae you are using will make it more worthwhile.

Note: crickinfo's formula for success rate is %=(W-T/2)/(P-NR)

where W=win, T=tie, etc.

[Edited on 9/15/02 by full_length]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah and after that India played in a onedayer tour in England which was won by India,the losers were the English team
That was not a One Day series, that was a Tournament - there is a distinct difference.

And for all those flaming me, note I said AS GOOD AS or better than most.

That success rate stat only served to prove my point most of England's rates were around 40-50% - so therefore they are as good as those teams. Only against Aus, SA and Pakistan are they below 40% - hence England are not as good as those nations if you use that statistic.

Incidentally if we look at the same stat for Test Matches (at no point did I say I was talking about just ODI cricket) we get the following:

Australia - 25%
India - 50%
NZ - 55%
Pakistan - 45%
SA - 50%
Sri Lanka - 65%
West Indies - 50%
Zimbabwe - 62.5% (extrapolated from 4 games)

Only one there less than 40%!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
That was not a One Day series, that was a Tournament - there is a distinct difference.

And for all those flaming me, note I said AS GOOD AS or better than most.

That success rate stat only served to prove my point most of England's rates were around 40-50% - so therefore they are as good as those teams. Only against Aus, SA and Pakistan are they below 40% - hence England are not as good as those nations if you use that statistic.

Incidentally if we look at the same stat for Test Matches (at no point did I say I was talking about just ODI cricket) we get the following:

Two things, First of all I had made it CLEAR that i was talking about onedayers, u are definately mixed up b/w the two formats otherwise u wouldn't be referring to test matches .Secondarily, i was talking about NATWEST trophy, the series B/w that tour ended in a draw BUT India defeated Eng in Natwest.

Also, England have below 50 % record against WI,INd,SL,NZ which makes it clear that they are NOT AS GOOD as those team!

nehrafan

Banned
Nope, he's not mixed up, infact its a clever piece of work, he deliberately mentioned test matches when he knew that the subject was about the onedayer team.

England have a sucess rate of 40% against Lanka while Lanka have a sucess rate of 60% against England, how the hell are they equal???

Stats aside, England have a decent Test team, but a pathetic onedayer team!

lankadesilva

Cricket Spectator
First of all lets be clear as to which format of cricket we are talking about.In this posts we are talking about ONEDAY CRICKET.People interested in Test team can use another post!

Stats aside, i think most sensable people would agree that the foll 5 are the top one day teams!

Aus,SA,Ind,Sl,Pak.

England are no where near those team.Ofcourse on its day even Zimb can beat SA , but that doesn't mean that the Afrikans are as good as Proteas.

Two other teams, NZ and WI, i would say that NZ have a better allround oneday team than Eng, whereas as far as WI is concerned, i would say that perhaps England have an edge over the Windies.

Overall, England have a weak oneday team, they are capable of surprising a few team on its day, but aren't capable of going much further!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Also, England have below 50 % record against WI,INd,SL,NZ which makes it clear that they are NOT AS GOOD as those team!
It cannot be as black and white as that - if over 10 matches one team wins 5 and the other 4 with one rained off, you cannot just say Team A is better than Team B, you'd say they are fairly equal. Hence I say England are as good as those nations.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Nope, he's not mixed up, infact its a clever piece of work, he deliberately mentioned test matches when he knew that the subject was about the onedayer team.
No, where have I ever mentioned that this is about ODI cricket - I haven't because that is not the point I was making.

England have a sucess rate of 40% against Lanka while Lanka have a sucess rate of 60% against England, how the hell are they equal???
See my above post - you cannot clearly say one team is better than the other when it is that close on such a random game as ODI Cricket.

What next, I toss a coin 10 times and get 6 Heads, so the coin is clearly biased to show heads?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Secondarily, i was talking about NATWEST trophy, the series B/w that tour ended in a draw BUT India defeated Eng in Natwest.
A-Ha, they did indeed win the Natwest Trophy against England and Sri Lanka. They did not win a One Day Series against England.

The last One Day Series between England and India was drawn!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Stats aside, i think most sensable people would agree that the foll 5 are the top one day teams!

Aus,SA,Ind,Sl,Pak.

England are no where near those team.
Funny you should say that - didn't England qualify for the Natwest final ahead of SL - pretty impressive considering they are no-where near that team!

Also against India we've won 4 of the last 9 completed matches - nowhere near them either!

lankadesilva

Cricket Spectator

Aus,SA,Ind,Sl,Pak.

England are no where near those team.
Funny you should say that - didn't England qualify for the Natwest final ahead of SL - pretty impressive considering they are no-where near that team!

No its not funny.Everyone knows that SL are more or less a One man team.Without Murali i EXPECT England and other weak team to beat Lanka,the body language of the whole team is different when Murali is not playing, they seems to give up the game even b/f it has begun.With Murali around, its changes the scenario.

Whether u like the TRUTH or not, England is a weak onedayer team, they are in danger of not making it to the super six of the WC,UNLESS Pak loses its way for some reason

[Edited on 9/15/02 by lankadesilva]

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
[quote
[/quote]

A-Ha, they did indeed win the Natwest Trophy against England and Sri Lanka. They did not win a One Day Series against England.

The last One Day Series between England and India was drawn! [/quote]

When did i dispute the result of onnedayer series? For u the drawn series must have been satisfying, but for India it was embaressing coz they ended up drawing a series with a team like England!
India did well to Beat England in England and Take the natwest trophy.Hopefully India will beat England again in Cham trophy and then later in the World Cup'03.Thats a different thing atht even after those defeats u will still be talking about the drawn series :D