• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir Shah tests positive for banned substance

smash84

The Tiger King
It is if he received any drug training in my book.
I believe that cheating has an element of willful commitment to a particular course of action.

Ignorance is not an excuse but your definition of cheating is not correct i think.

Stefan9

International Debutant
I believe that cheating has an element of willful commitment to a particular course of action.

Ignorance is not an excuse but your definition of cheating is not correct i think.
My opinion if he received durg training he can't claim ignorance. So I don't buy the ignorance excuse.

Its as poor as the cronje the devil made me do it excuse back in the day...

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
My opinion if he received durg training he can't claim ignorance. So I don't buy the ignorance excuse.

Its as poor as the cronje the devil made me do it excuse back in the day...
You not buying the excuse is irrelevant. It doesn't mean that ignorance and cheating are the same thing.

If you don't buy his excuse is another matter. Which i don't either. But from a technical stand point you are just plain wrong. There's no harm in admitting it :p

Stefan9

International Debutant
You not buying the excuse is irrelevant. It doesn't mean that ignorance and cheating are the same thing.

If you don't buy his excuse is another matter. Which i don't either. But from a technical stand point you are just plain wrong. There's no harm in admitting it :p
If you know what you are doing and still do that is willful. If he received drug training then he should be aware what is suppose to do. If he ignores that it is willful and is cheating...

smash84

The Tiger King
If you know what you are doing and still do that is willful. If he received drug training then he should be aware what is suppose to do. If he ignores that it is willful and is cheating...
Assumption is he ignores it. What if he doesn't ignore it? He forgets it. Then? How does that become wilful?

smash84

The Tiger King
He forgets that he's not supposed to take drugs without checking?
That he forgets certain drugs. I am assuming there is not just one or a handful of drugs on that list?

Secondly, the point is let's say someone got acute amnesia or something they will have forgotten something.

Which is NOT the same as cheating. Was Yasir cheating? I think he was. Does that mean that ignorance and cheating are the same thing? NO. Its not that hard to understand.

There is a difference between cheating and ignorance. For people who don't understand just refer to merriam webster or the oxford dictionary.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ignorance over something you should be informed about could certainly be seen as willful. Yes you didn't mean to, but that doesn't excuse you.

I wouldn't necessarily frame that as cheating however.

Doing it on purpose is cheating.
Doing it on accident is negligence.

Both should be punished.

smash84

The Tiger King
Ignorance over something you should be informed about could certainly be seen as willful. Yes you didn't mean to, but that doesn't excuse you.

I wouldn't necessarily frame that as cheating however.

Doing it on purpose is cheating.
Doing it on accident is negligence.

Both should be punished.
Thank you for articulating it better

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I'm inclined to agree, but we do have a problem reconciling point 1 with point 2.

Using a banned diuretic to mask PEDs use is probably unnecessary if they knew what they were doing. So there was indeed some level of incompetence.
Why would it be unnecessary? All diuretics are banned unless the athlete applies for exemption because of a medical condition. It would be much easier to argue for leniency with a duretic in the sample than a steroid

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Why would it be unnecessary? All diuretics are banned unless the athlete applies for exemption because of a medical condition. It would be much easier to argue for leniency with a duretic in the sample than a steroid
There are plenty of non-banned diuretics, but apart from that I think the concept of flushing out PEDs with diuretics is a bit archaic when most of the PEDs aren't detectable by the testing methods if you apply a bit of common sense.

cnerd123

likes this
There are plenty of non-banned diuretics, but apart from that I think the concept of flushing out PEDs with diuretics is a bit archaic when most of the PEDs aren't detectable by the testing methods if you apply a bit of common sense.
I remember reading on r/MMA about 'Boutique' steroids - basically custom made concoctions that are different enough from mainstream PEDs that they dont get detected/aren't on the banned list, but still provide most if not all the same benefits.

Surely if someone really wanted to dope, they would just go down that route yea?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I remember reading on r/MMA about 'Boutique' steroids - basically custom made concoctions that are different enough from mainstream PEDs that they dont get detected/aren't on the banned list, but still provide most if not all the same benefits.

Surely if someone really wanted to dope, they would just go down that route yea?
I think there will be a way to detect "boutique" steroids routinely in the future - a comprehensive Mass Spec method and then some type of programming that automatically picks up analogs of the known PEDs - e.g. detect and sequence every username on cricketweb, find a poster called Zooraks and infer by its sound that it's going to like everyone's post. But that would be very expensive to detect every molecule routinely. Mass spec needs to become a lot cheaper for this to happen.

But even aside from that - the levels of naturally occurring hormones need to be accurately recorded, and then some type of judgement must be made. So you have 50% higher free T than the average male; have you been taking testosterone or are you just in the normal bell curve range? etc etc with a whole range of different, interacting hormones (not just *** hormones).

Last edited:

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Hmm, fair enough. But wouldn't more athletes be inclined to take PEDs if it's as easy to get away with it as you are implying?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
But wouldn't more athletes be inclined to take PEDs if it's as easy to get away with it as you are implying?
Most athletes do tbh. I would guess that every single sprinter and weightlifter in the last olympic games was cheating.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Erm what? If your fact was really and honestly not attempting to justify anything, why post it as it is totally irrelevant.
It was in reply to this I think

Not totally sure here, but pretty sure I have read Yasir is from a pretty decent well off family, yep their is players in the side who are from very poor backgrounds with little education, but confident that Yasir isn't one of those. I will wait for some of the Pakistani posters to confirm though.