• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir Shah: Century Man

listento_me

U19 Captain
I feel this is the right time for this thread. easily the best leggy of his generation and unlike many bowlers, especially subcontinental spinners, he has more wickets away from "home" then at "home" with a terrific sr and the majority of his 5-fors have taken place there too. What a bowler.

Oh and he's a match winner too. Out of the 9 away tests (53 damn wickets in them), he has won 5, picking up a 5-for in 4 of them and a 10-for too. And he hasn't lost an away series yet.

Imagine another 20 tests, if he can get there. He'll get to 200-250 wickets at this rate.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As long as he stays away from his wife's medicine closet, he should be OK.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I feel this is the right time for this thread. easily the best leggy of his generation and unlike many bowlers, especially subcontinental spinners, he has more wickets away from "home" then at "home" with a terrific sr and the majority of his 5-fors have taken place there too. What a bowler.

Oh and he's a match winner too. Out of the 9 away tests (53 damn wickets in them), he has won 5, picking up a 5-for in 4 of them and a 10-for too. And he hasn't lost an away series yet.

Imagine another 20 tests, if he can get there. He'll get to 200-250 wickets at this rate.
A great leggie in the making and just like the greatest of them all, he loves his pills. A real role model for the kids.

listento_me

U19 Captain
A great leggie in the making and just like the greatest of them all, he loves his pills. A real role model for the kids.
lol

What a trio to have at the same time - Yasir, Ashwin, TPC
who is TPC?

And Ashwin isn't quite on Shah's level in my opinion, considering the long, drawn out home tests that India have had in his period of wicket taking. Isn't his away avg 10 runs more than his career avg?

Bijed

International Regular
lol

who is TPC?

And Ashwin isn't quite on Shah's level in my opinion, considering the long, drawn out home tests that India have had in his period of wicket taking. Isn't his away avg 10 runs more than his career avg?
TPC is Herath, unless harsh particularly rates Steve Smith's legspin (or if he's just taking the mickey)

Ashwin is arguably on the list as someone who can wreck teams, though as you rightly say he's much more dependent on conditions to do so. That said, Yasir basically went missing for 2 of his games in England.

Also, as of today, Bishoo should definitely be on that list, quite possibly leading it :ph34r:

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
lol

who is TPC?

There is no way Ashwin is not at Shah's level. This is some ridiculous away >>>> home idea that has made any subcontinent home performance invalid in some people's eyes.

listento_me

U19 Captain
TPC is Herath, unless harsh particularly rates Steve Smith's legspin (or if he's just taking the mickey)

Ashwin is arguably on the list as someone who can wreck teams, though as you rightly say he's much more dependent on conditions to do so. That said, Yasir basically went missing for 2 of his games in England.

Also, as of today, Bishoo should definitely be on that list, quite possibly leading it :ph34r:
ohh herath lol why tpc though?

Agreed, Shah did seem to need some adjusting in the middle part of the series but he came back strong in the end, which is a sign of resilience, plus he had 3 5-fors in the series so that does mean something.

In terms of Bishoo, he picked up a lot of wickets because the Pakistan batsman looked to be swinging like mad men. Btw, what happened to Narine in tests?

There is no way Ashwin is not at Shah's level. This is some ridiculous away >>>> home idea that has made any subcontinent home performance invalid in some people's eyes.
No one is saying he isn't good at home or that he is a bad bowler. I rate him as the best off spinner around but that's largely due to the end of Swann and the end of Ajmal.

Thing is, for someone to be considered very good, they can't have such a drop in avg and sr away from home. And when I say away, I include asian conditions in other parts of the continent. Even then he avgs like 33 or 34. He is good, not very good. His numbers will look seriously inflated by the end of this home season with God knows how many matches. Ones he goes out to Eng or Aus, he'll probably get wrecked or be average at best.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thread's about Yasir though. Let's keep it that way. Pretty special bowler. Works hard. Patient. Lots of guile. Is a huge asset in all conditions.

The biggest reason for Pakistan's number 1 crowning.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Thread's about Yasir though. Let's keep it that way. Pretty special bowler. Works hard. Patient. Lots of guile. Is a huge asset in all conditions.

The biggest reason for Pakistan's number 1 crowning.
Very true.

#keepitaboutShah

Having said that, I really do believe that the biggest reason Pakistan have been so good in the last 5 to 6 years is Misbah. He is undoubtedly a great captain, especially if greatness means to accomplish the improbable with the smallest means possible. He has managed to craft 2 great spinners and several world class bowling line ups, not to mention a test batting line up that, these days, is willing to fight more often than not...a few mishaps not withstanding lol

Second to that would be Younus Khan/Ajmal.

Then of course we come to Yasir, who may well be playing 5 years down the line.

listento_me

U19 Captain
its silly to think that yasir isn't dependent on the conditions like Ashwin is
More away wickets than "home" wickets and 5-fors in England and a 10 wicket haul begs to differ. Anyway, this isn't meant to be some butthurt Indian thread of "oh but Ashwin"

Let's keep it on topic and show some class fellas.

smash84

The Tiger King
More away wickets than "home" wickets and 5-fors in England and a 10 wicket haul begs to differ. Anyway, this isn't meant to be some butthurt Indian thread of "oh but Ashwin"

Did you watch the English series or just going by stats? You wouldn't be saying this if you had watched the series

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
ohh herath lol why tpc though?

Agreed, Shah did seem to need some adjusting in the middle part of the series but he came back strong in the end, which is a sign of resilience, plus he had 3 5-fors in the series so that does mean something.

In terms of Bishoo, he picked up a lot of wickets because the Pakistan batsman looked to be swinging like mad men. Btw, what happened to Narine in tests?

No one is saying he isn't good at home or that he is a bad bowler. I rate him as the best off spinner around but that's largely due to the end of Swann and the end of Ajmal.

Thing is, for someone to be considered very good, they can't have such a drop in avg and sr away from home. And when I say away, I include asian conditions in other parts of the continent. Even then he avgs like 33 or 34. He is good, not very good. His numbers will look seriously inflated by the end of this home season with God knows how many matches. Ones he goes out to Eng or Aus, he'll probably get wrecked or be average at best.

You just trivialized the performances Ashwin has had at home (which not even Murali has had) - he is quite possibly the GOAT finger spinner already, so saying Yasir is at the same level just because of a few away performances is more than a bit rich imo.

cnerd123

likes this
I just knew that this thread would become about Ashwin before i clicked on it

I was right

Ashwin even dominates in threads not about him, WAFG. And yet you all think he struggles away from home.

Yasir is brilliant tho. What holds him back from 'great' status, for me, is a tendency to go missing in some of his spells. The tools are all there though, and on song he is so good to watch.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not make this a Yasir vs Ashwin thread please.

But yes Yasir is all kind of awesomeness. As for his England series, 2 5fers including a 10fer in 4 tests on your first ever England series when you are barely 15 tests old is a pretty good performance in my books.

Now for him to actually sustain this and go onto the next level, he will need to develop his leg break more. Right now he is too reliant on bowled and lbw and yes his control for a leggie is incredible but as was the case on the England series, good batsmen will ultimately figure that out and play him straight.

He will have to develop that leg break if he wants to get people out caught at slips or keeper.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry but there is a massive asterisk on this record due to him being convicted of a drug violation during this period.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Fine with me as long as we have the same asterisk on everyone convicted of a drug violation during their career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I do for fat **** drug cheat leg spinners at least. Warne and Shah are so similar.