• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Tatenda Taibu get in the India test team?

Would taibu get in the India team as wicket keeper/batsman?

• yes

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is generally true that keeping to the spinners is tougher than keeping to the seamers. And, about Kaarthick, I think he had a very poor day by his standards. His keeping has generally been very good and today, he was very ordinary. I hope he does better in the second innings, for his sake and for India's, because we have changed keepers way too often than most other international sides and it is not a good sign.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
You obviously missed the last test then....
I think he's missed a lot more cricket than that! Factor in the massive amounts of time that Taibu spends behind the stumps per match then look at how proficient he is. It's pretty clear cut.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
It is generally true that keeping to the spinners is tougher than keeping to the seamers. And, about Kaarthick, I think he had a very poor day by his standards. His keeping has generally been very good and today, he was very ordinary. I hope he does better in the second innings, for his sake and for India's, because we have changed keepers way too often than most other international sides and it is not a good sign.
A lot of wicketkeepers have been changed, for one reason- they were not good with the bat. Some of them- Mongia and Ratra- were good with the gloves- Mongia has kept to Kumble far better than anyone else, while Ratra has very good reflexes and is very fast. Vinayak Samant from Mumbai is also good behind the stumps and keeps to spinners very well -his glovework has been praised by many- but can't make the Indian team since his batting average is just 25, but has 9 FC 50's to his name and is a good partnership builder. Karthik was good in his debut ODI, but makes one mistake out of seven, which can be costly, but he's far better than Rahul Dravid asked to do something h's no good at.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Factor in the massive amounts of time that Taibu spends behind the stumps per match then look at how proficient he is. It's pretty clear cut.
I guess the amount of time he has to spend behind the stumps, is a very, very big factor. But it seems that most people have missed the faults in his keeping when he has kept to guys like Price. Until he improves that area of his keeping their will be other keepers that are better then him.

Im sure most of u guys would agree that the hardest part of keeping is keeping to spin bowlers and if their are guys who are slightly better that this then Taibu in this area and equal on other parts then doesn't that mean their better keeprs. Right or wrong.

Taibu is a very good keeper but their are guys that are slightly better then him ATM. If u truely believe that Taibu is a better keeper then guys like Gilly, Kamran, Read and Boucher then provide some reasons.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Dinesh Kaarthick? He has been quite brilliant, although at times inconsistent, to the spinners on rank turners.
I think he is the one who puled off the most amazing stumping i have seen. Harbajan bowled , ball pitched on off, Vaughan charges down the track to whack him, ball turns about 40 degrees [might be slight exxgeration but it was around this] and Vaughan misses it. Karthik dives full length to catch the ball in left hand at the edge of the crease [probably caught it as there might have been a nick]. Changes direction and dives back at the stumps to stumps Vaughan.

Probably got little to do with this thread and apologize if you are offended but it was beautifull wicket-keeping.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Taibu is a very good keeper but their are guys that are slightly better then him ATM. If u truely believe that Taibu is a better keeper then guys like Gilly, Kamran, Read and Boucher then provide some reasons.
c'mon now, the only person on that list who challenges Taibu is Read . Maybe Kamran Akmal to a lesser extent.

Mr Mxyzptlk

chaminda_00 said:
Simple. You say...
"Taibu is a very good keeper"

Gilchrist is not a very good 'keeper. He's good. Above average. Not very good. Lately Boucher has not been anywhere near as good as he once was.

I need to see Kamran more. I aready said Read is comparable, so obviously he would match Taibu. In fact, no one is arguing Read here.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Yes IMO he would.

An average of just under 30 in Zimbabwe's line up..
an average that goes down by around 10 runs when you exclude performances against b'desh. you'd have to be insane to put him ahead of boucher or sangakkara.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
How ironic that this came up, because I was having this same discussion with my friend just yesterday about this. I feel he'd walk into India's side without question, and would make Sri Lanka's side, with Sangakkara being played solely as a batsman. I'm not sure about NZ over McCullum, that's debateable, but WI, SA (especially with the quota system, but even without it maybe), Pak, Eng etc. would love to have Taibu in their team.
you cannot make it into all the other sides in the world with an average of 20, no matter how good your keeping is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
an average that goes down by around 10 runs when you exclude performances against b'desh. you'd have to be insane to put him ahead of boucher or sangakkara.
Boucher averages 28.54 against teams other than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, whilst playing in one of the most potent batting lineups in the world.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Boucher averages 28.54 against teams other than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, whilst playing in one of the most potent batting lineups in the world.
which is still significantly better than taibu. i really cant see taibu scoring runs against any sort of quality opposition.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
which is still significantly better than taibu. i really cant see taibu scoring runs against any sort of quality opposition.
Boucher has a lot more security than Taibu. Taibu doesn't have Smith, Kallis, Gibbs et al batting around him. As things stand, Taibu is a massively superior 'keeper, at least until Boucher regains his confidence.

tooextracool

International Coach
i dont know about that, for me taibu is clearly better, but not significantly with the gloves. and with the bat its no contest, id pick boucher in a heartbeat. taibu is simply not test class as a batsman, were he to play for england, i would drop hiim in the same way that i would have dropped read, because neither of them are up to the mark as batters.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
Didn't the SA selectors recently drop Boucher, suggesting they're not so sure about him?

Sangakkara could easily play as a top order batsman, and Taibu would add a lot in the middle order as well as better glove skills.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Didn't the SA selectors recently drop Boucher, suggesting they're not so sure about him?

Sangakkara could easily play as a top order batsman, and Taibu would add a lot in the middle order as well as better glove skills.
Spot on.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
From the half a day that I managed to watch today, Kamran looks like a damn good wicket keeper. Very impressive and excellent movement alongwith the ball.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, he also missed some sitters. In fact, I think he missed 4 straight balls, it was just that they didn't go for any byes. When Kaarthick missed them, they did. But you are right that Kamran took some really good takes as well. Overall, he looks good behind the wickets.