• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Tatenda Taibu get in the India test team?

Would taibu get in the India team as wicket keeper/batsman?

• yes

Votes: 44 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
Sorry mate, I was not being sarcastic when I asked you if you had kept wickets. I really wanted to know.

Well I have and I will tell you that its not very difficult to take a stumping of a medium pacer or even a fastish bowler if he bowled a good length and it came to the keeper without hinderance from the batsmans body, outside the off stum. In fact it is one of the easier deliveries to collect. The problem is if he pitches short and it bounces OR, worse still, if he bowls a full pitch or yorker, then it takes great skill to take it. Its like taking a throw from mid field.

The problem is when you get a nick and the ball deviates after hitting the edge or the body of the batsman. When keeping to spinners, its a different ball game. The spin, the trajectory, the bounce, the amount of turn everything veries much more from delivery to delivery than for a medium pacer. PLUS when you go up to a medium pacer, you generally have an understanding as to what and where he will bowl.

It looks spectacular, I know but isnt as tough as it looks, most of the time. :)
As a guy who is a wicket keeper, although at about a million levels lower than international standards, I can attest to that. I have had no problems standing up to our new ball bowlers, who are only military medium at best. It is the spinners who pose a big challenge, esp. because they are not the most accurate ones going around.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To reply to the topic, I think Taibu will get into the Indian side, but I was forced to consider my own rating of Taibu as a batter after someone brought up how skewed it is after his series against Bangladesh. Well, he may not be as good with the bat as I may have thought earlier, but he would still be, atleast, as good as Patel and Kaarthick. Actually, I tend to rate Patel higher as a batter, but his keeping is just so horrible.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Dinesh Kaarthick? He has been quite brilliant, although at times inconsistent, to the spinners on rank turners.
This is the main reason why Taibu wouldn't make the Indian XI IMO, Karthik has shown to be a better keeper aganist quailty in domestic cricket then Taibu. The domestic spinners in India are by far more superior to the spinners in the Zimbabwe team. Also if u look at Taibu's batting record exculding Bangladesh matches he averages 19.5, so therefore Karthick is atleast on par with him with the bat. A better keeper to spin and similar with the bat, i would go with Karthick over taibu

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
These amazing takes (so called) are all while standing back. Ask anyone who has kept wickets and they will tell you these are not all that difficult to take (relatively speaking) though they look fantastic because of the distance covered in a dive and the one handed take in an outstretched glove. But the time you get makes all the difference.

The true test of a great keeper is standing up and here Gilchrist is no match to someone like, say, Healy (to take an Australian example).
SJS, I agree with you here. My wording was a bit misleading. Gilchrist often does things that look amazing because he dives around all over the place. However (prompted by one of your posts a while back) I've been watching 'keepers much more closely and have noticed how often he is taking these 'amazing' catches because he has to dive as a result of not being quick enough on his feet.

biased indian

International Coach
Taibuwould make any test team for his keeping ability but he mightfind it hard to remove some ones with bettre batting talent

as far as india goes he is always welcome but i wint want gilchrist or sangakkara

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
This is the main reason why Taibu wouldn't make the Indian XI IMO, Karthik has shown to be a better keeper aganist quailty in domestic cricket then Taibu. The domestic spinners in India are by far more superior to the spinners in the Zimbabwe team. Also if u look at Taibu's batting record exculding Bangladesh matches he averages 19.5, so therefore Karthick is atleast on par with him with the bat. A better keeper to spin and similar with the bat, i would go with Karthick over taibu
Karthik learned his cricket on turning tracks and facing mediocre medium pacers. Of course he would appear to extremely proficient in such fields. It's the same as most batsmen in Indian domestic cricket. Besides, my point has nothing to with Karthik. It was meant to laught at your belief that Gilchrist and Boucher are superior glovemen.
Anyone who has ever seen Taibu 'keep would realize his quality.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
SJS, I agree with you here. My wording was a bit misleading. Gilchrist often does things that look amazing because he dives around all over the place. However (prompted by one of your posts a while back) I've been watching 'keepers much more closely and have noticed how often he is taking these 'amazing' catches because he has to dive as a result of not being quick enough on his feet.
Yes you are right.

Ames, who is under rated as a keeper for the sillly reason that he was a world classs batsman !! was considered to be excellent in this respect. So many people have written that he never seemed to be diving around or even taking too many deliveries in one hand because he always happened to be in the right place well in time !! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Karthik learned his cricket on turning tracks and facing mediocre medium pacers. Of course he would appear to extremely proficient in such fields. It's the same as most batsmen in Indian domestic cricket. Besides, my point has nothing to with Karthik. It was meant to laught at your belief that Gilchrist and Boucher are superior glovemen.
Kaarthick has taken a few spectacular takes but Taibu is much more consistent. Even as i watch him right now keeping to the Indian medium pacers he seems inconsistent.

biased indian

International Coach
SJS said:
Kaarthick has taken a few spectacular takes but Taibu is much more consistent. Even as i watch him right now keeping to the Indian medium pacers he seems inconsistent.
did u see he missing a ball from zaheer that reminded me of P Patel going all the wrong places :D

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
did u see he missing a ball from zaheer that reminded me of P Patel going all the wrong places :D
Yes. It was atrocious since almost every delivery of Zaheer before that was moving away from the left hander after pitching. I dont know why he moved to the other side without waiting for the ball to pitch before deciding to move. ?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The test of a keeper is his abilty to keep to quality spin bowling, which is something that Taibu hasn't been tested on unlike Gilchirst. Even though Gilly might not look as good keeping Warne as Healy, no one really does, he does a good enough job to clasify him a better keeper then Taibu. Until Taibu is tested aganist a quality spin bowler then someone like Gilly will always be a better keeper.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
The test of a keeper is his abilty to keep to quality spin bowling, which is something that Taibu hasn't been tested on unlike Gilchirst. Even though Gilly might not look as good keeping Warne as Healy, no one really does, he does a good enough job to clasify him a better keeper then Taibu. Until Taibu is tested aganist a quality spin bowler then someone like Gilly will always be a better keeper.
That is very, very questionable logic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And one that procludes all but 2 keepers from the reckoning of actually being able to be ranked!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
And one that procludes all but 2 keepers from the reckoning of actually being able to be ranked!
All im saying that if watched him keep to Ray Price the only decent spinner his kept to he has flaws in his keeping. Compare this to someone like Gilchirst who also has flaws when keeping Warne, but these flaws seem to not be there when he keeps to Hogg. This shows that Gilchrist is a better keeper then Taibu cus he is better at keeping to spin. Also the guys that Gilly stands up to are faster then the bowlers that Taibu stands, therefore showing he is better in that area too. Like Taibu, Gilly misses hardly any chances but the difference being that there are more chances. More chances being therefore more chance of missing them.

Taibu is a good keeper don't get me wrong but their a flaws in his keeping that were shown when keeping to Price that he has to improve before he can be rate higher then some other keepers.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
Sorry mate, I was not being sarcastic when I asked you if you had kept wickets. I really wanted to know.

Well I have and I will tell you that its not very difficult to take a stumping of a medium pacer or even a fastish bowler if he bowled a good length and it came to the keeper without hinderance from the batsmans body, outside the off stum. In fact it is one of the easier deliveries to collect. The problem is if he pitches short and it bounces OR, worse still, if he bowls a full pitch or yorker, then it takes great skill to take it. Its like taking a throw from mid field.

The problem is when you get a nick and the ball deviates after hitting the edge or the body of the batsman. When keeping to spinners, its a different ball game. The spin, the trajectory, the bounce, the amount of turn everything veries much more from delivery to delivery than for a medium pacer. PLUS when you go up to a medium pacer, you generally have an understanding as to what and where he will bowl.

It looks spectacular, I know but isnt as tough as it looks, most of the time. :)
My comment was being a bit sarcastic. I do agree with what you say. Keeping is an artform. Just watching great keepers like Bob Taylor and Ian Healy is a pleasure. I don't think Gilchrist is in their league. He is a very good keeper, but makes too many mistakes. Taibu has the makings of a very good keeper, but at the moment he is still young and has the pressure of so much responsibility. I think it is because of this he will never develop to his full potential.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Also the guys that Gilly stands up to are faster then the bowlers that Taibu stands, therefore showing he is better in that area too.
Taibu keeps to men who may not be as quick, but they're far more wayward...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Taibu keeps to men who may not be as quick, but they're far more wayward...
Not really, Taibu has got his bowlers to bowl accurate, it just they can't go anything else. The guys that weren't accurate like Blessing and Hondo got dropped, the other who isn't accurate is Blignaut, but he stands back to him.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
You obviously missed the last test then....
Higher quality batsmen can make bowler look more wayward then they actually are, especially when they are going after them. At times when Afridi was going after the bowlers in the VB Series they looked more wayward then they actually were. Also Panganara (sp) wasn't playing that test, he is quite an accurate bowler.