• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst World Cup winner

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wayne Larkins was a pretty poor performer. I vaguely remember him as a dour top order batsman, although his Cricinfo page seems to say otherwise.

A little off topic but that Collis King 66 ball 88 in partnership with IVA Richards must be one of the most unexpected/against the norm performance in a Final. His second highest score in his career was just 34, which happened in the semi.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
brilliant fielder, and a fighter. Deserves it all the way. May be a case for Pramodaya Wickremasinghe
Nah. Action too ***y

Seriously though, the thread title is worst world cup winner and the answer, quite emphatically has to be Sreesanth ... While Sreesanth may not have been quite the worst cricketer to win the trophy (although he's obviously ****) , he's undoubtedly the least deserving world cup winner because in addition to being a filthy bowler he's a filthy human being who doesn't deserve to be on a cricket pitch, let alone get the honour of a world cup winner's trophy.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wayne Larkins was a pretty poor performer. I vaguely remember him as a dour top order batsman, although his Cricinfo page seems to say otherwise.

A little off topic but that Collis King 66 ball 88 in partnership with IVA Richards must be one of the most unexpected/against the norm performance in a Final. His second highest score in his career was just 34, which happened in the semi.
He wasn't great, but nor was he a World Cup winner. An interesting point though, I do always remember him talked as an attacking bat, but his record doesn't really back that up in internationals. Was a fine stroke-player in County Cricket.

Did play an inordinate amount of matches against West Indies though, because like Peter Willey, the selectors thought him better against pace. Not going to help your record that.

fredfertang

He wasn't great, but nor was he a World Cup winner. An interesting point though, I do always remember him talked as an attacking bat, but his record doesn't really back that up in internationals. Was a fine stroke-player in County Cricket.

Did play an inordinate amount of matches against West Indies though, because like Peter Willey, the selectors thought him better against pace. Not going to help your record that.
Extraordinarily fortunate not to go on a tour of Her Majesty's Penal Institutions for raising a mortgage against the house of a sick old man - wac

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah. Action too ***y

Seriously though, the thread title is worst world cup winner and the answer, quite emphatically has to be Sreesanth ... While Sreesanth may not have been quite the worst cricketer to win the trophy (although he's obviously ****) , he's undoubtedly the least deserving world cup winner because in addition to being a filthy bowler he's a filthy human being who doesn't deserve to be on a cricket pitch, let alone get the honour of a world cup winner's trophy.
You may need an apology on that for Sreesanth. Had been cleared for some time.

vcs

Glad I'm not the only one who found Wickremasinghe's action ***y, also his surname spelling is gun.

stephen

Glad I'm not the only one who found Wickremasinghe's action ***y, also his surname spelling is gun.
I sometimes find myself saying his name to myself because of how nice the word feels on the tongue.

TheJediBrah

yet you spelled it wrong?

Or is this one of those names where the spelling can vary, like Muralitharan/Muralidaran

a massive zebra

International Captain
He was actually pretty accurate and could generate some relatively gentle swing, but a seamer who struggles to get the ball through at more than 120ks and doesn't get much bounce or seam movement isn't likely to take bucketloads of wickets in international cricket.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of slowish seamers, nobody seems to have mentioned Andrew Zesers. Interesting story, burst into the state scene as a teenager, took a bunch of wickets in the Shield over his first couple of seasons which led to him getting a call up to the 87 World Cup team at still just barely 20 years old. Played a couple of games without making a big impact, returned to Australia, but had major shoulder problems leading to him being finished by the time he was 23. Unfortunate really.

As a bowler I would probably describe him as not dissimilar to Chadd Sayers in style

TheJediBrah

I've only ever seen it Wickramasinghe, wouldn't surprise me if the spelling was flexible though