• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst winning performance you have seen

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I guess you can have plenty of such performances as it's easy enough to hide one player in an 11 man team especially if the others are going good. On a slightly different note - what would be the worst MoM or MoS performances you have seen?
Unpopular opinion may be, but Ganguly's performance in the Dhaka final 1998 is over-rated. For start, India was chasing 315 in 48 overs, got off to a blazing start with Tendulkar leading the charge. Then Ganguly and Robin Singh took over and reached 125 in 14 overs. Ganguly reached 50 in 40 odd balls and then for some inexplicable reasons slowed down. Took some 70-75 balls for his next fifty, was easily playing for his hundred even with many wickets in hand. In the end, had it not been for Kanitkar's boundary, that famous triumph would not have happened.

Saw this match right through and writing this without seeing the scoreboard.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin's MoTM in the 2011 SF was rather underwhelming considering how scratchy he was, the DRS luck, dropped catches etc. Not that I cared two hoots, I would have gladly sold my soul to the Devil to see us win that match haha.
It was a terrible innings but it did end up being the performance that had the biggest impact on the result imo. Or maybe it was misbah's I don't know...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno if it qualifies as "worst", but one of the most inconsequential performances in a winning cause must be Adil Rashid in last year's Lords test v India. Scorecard.

England won by an innings and plenty, and he wasn't called on to bat or bowl and took no catches either, just for good (or "meh") measure.

vcs

I dunno if it qualifies as "worst", but one of the most inconsequential performances in a winning cause must be Adil Rashid in last year's Lords test v India. Scorecard.

England won by an innings and plenty, and he wasn't called on to bat or bowl and took no catches either, just for good (or "meh") measure.
I think Travis Head did that recently against Pakistan as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He scored 36 in a very low scoring game but if anyone can explain to me why Dhoni got motm here despite Jadeja and Ajmal's performances , I'd be grateful.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...kistan-3rd-odi-pakistan-tour-of-india-2012-13
From his strike rate looks like it was a recovery job and it came before we all hated Dhoni for batting slow

Ajmal unfortunately on the losing side

Obviously for his captaincy in defending the low score.

RossTaylorsBox

Kyle Mills had the unenviable task of defending like 30 in the last over against Shaun Pollock and nearly whiffed it.

Burgey

When Australia thumped India 4-0 in 11/12, Shaun Marsh made 17 runs in 6 innings averaging 2.8
Probably the series which defined his career tbh, and set him up for the abject mediocrity he's displayed ever since.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Worst winners (min 20 innings in batting from 1-7)
Thirimanne 293 @ 15.42
Brearley 690 @ 21.56
Evans 692 @ 21.62
Ramprakash 576 @ 22.15
Pollock 588 @ 24.50
Malik 478 @ 25.15
Bailey 666 @ 25.61
Raja 778 @ 25.93
Jennings 547 @ 26.04
Noble 841 @ 27.12

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Over 1000 runs

Rod Marsh 1490 @ 32.39
Dujon 1570 @ 33.40
Rhodes 1070 @ 33.43
Hooper 1560 @ 33.91
Boucher 1713 @ 34.26
Mendis 1135 @ 34.39
Astle 1239 @ 34.41
Watson 1706 @ 34.81

Wickets (over 35)

Armstrong 37 @ 33.43
Giles 73 @ 32.75
Riaz 37 @ 31.83
Harris 48 @ 31.75
Boje 48 @ 30.72

Bowling is pretty credible, if I lower it to a min of 20 wickets in wins, Mark Waugh is the only one who averages over 40 (47.52) and Hooper, Hammond, Tahir, Sami, Chauhan all just a smidge over 35.

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Statsguru trawls:

Reggie Spooner won the 1912 Ashes, he batted at 3 for England in 3 tests and scored 3 runs, averaging 0.75
That's an odd one, because he was top of the averages (62) against South Africa that summer.

Starfighter

Somehow I'm not surprised Thirimanne is on there. An absolutely dreadful player and a hindrance to his team. How he keeps getting picked baffles me considering that he's always been bad and fails each time.

stephen

I am genuinely confused whether Dippenaar's 1 run in the 434-438 game deserves a mention in this thread as in hindsight it was the best thing to happen to Proteas in that game.
The difference between the sides in that game was that Katich didn't get out early while Dippenaar did. :ph34r:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Just read this on Cricinfo:

Last week's column mentioned HM Thurlow, who did not score a run, take a wicket or make a catch in his only Test match. Was this unique? asked Ibrahim Kamara from Malaysia
The Queensland fast bowler "Pud" Thurlow, whose most memorable contribution to his one and only Test match, against South Africa in Adelaide in 1931-32, was getting run out to leave Don Bradman stranded on 299, was by no means the only man to make no impression on the scorecard in his solitary appearance.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28262814/anyone-taken-more-bob-willis-325-wickets-ten-for

No wickets in a 10 wicket win and getting run out for a duck to leave Bradman stranded on 299*!

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17580/scorecard/62601/australia-vs-south-africa-4th-test-south-africa-tour-of-australia-1931-32